Utah's Arches & Canyonlands Walking & Hiking Tour
Epic National Parks in the Southwest
Canyons stretched across the Colorado Plateau like an enormous wind-scoured sculpture garden. Soaring sandstone spires tinged in brilliant orange and red. Intricate canyon labyrinths in a million crimson variations. Around every delicate arch, behind each massive monolith, the landscape of this red-rock wonderland invites exploration.
THIS ITINERARY: 5 days, 4 nights
ACCOMMODATIONS: Casual & Premiere Hotels*
Start/End Grand Junction
Start/End locations may vary. Do not book flights until your trip details are confirmed.
- Marvel at nature's magnificent creations—soaring spires, arches, fins and canyons—in a landscape formed by eons of wind and water
- Explore Arches National Park and behold iconic—and aptly named—Delicate Arch, the state symbol of Utah
- Savor vast desert panoramas and views of the Colorado and Green Rivers from the mesa of Canyonlands' Island in the Sky
- Journey through the Earth's history amid rippling rock layers in Colorado National Monument
5 Days Casual & Premiere Hotels*
Wind your way up, down and around an adventurous trail leading toward expansive views of the soaring sandstone formations known as Fisher Towers, a series of enormous monoliths | Look for climbers scaling the towers and enjoy sweeping views of Castle Valley, Onion Creek and the Colorado River below | The afternoon is yours to relax at our rustic riverside hotel | Prepare to be awestruck in Arches National Park, home to the world's greatest concentration of natural sandstone arches | Hike to some of the park's most iconic features, including Double Arch and Delicate Arch | Explore to your heart's content before returning to the comfort of our lodge | Opt to relax poolside or visit the lodge's Moab Film and Western Heritage Museum.
Originally a turn-of-the-century homestead, this well-appointed lodge is surrounded by 2,000-foot cliffs and set along the Colorado River. (pool)
Marvel at the wilderness and incredible scenery of Canyonlands National Park, the largest and least developed of Utah's national parks | Follow spectacular trails atop the park's Island in the Sky area, a vast mesa with an incredible view of the Colorado River as it twists through a gooseneck canyon 2,000 feet below you | Walk from the doorstep of our resort onto the scenic Lumsden Canyon Trail | Explore Gateway Canyon's unique Auto Museum or take in the surrounding scenery by the pool | Journey to Colorado National Monument, home to 20,500 acres of sandstone monoliths and red-rock canyons | Meander through geologic time on the Monument Canyon Trail.
An upscale resort nestled in a spectacular red‐rock canyon and winner of numerous accolades. Travel + Leisure World's Best. (pool, spa)
The earlier you book, the more choice you'll have and the lower your price. And you can always change your mind — you won't be charged to transfer to a different trip before your final payment is due. View cancellation policy
Click on dates for pricing, itinerary variations and to book your trip. Price is per person, double occupancy.
Activity Level: 1-2
Every Backroads trip is designed to appeal to a wide variety of interests and fitness levels. Several routes and a range of levels are offered each day so you can choose how much or how little activity you want to do. Learn more about how we determine activity levels.
The terrain on this trip includes a mix of well-maintained dirt paths and rugged desert trails with some rocky and sandy sections.
Daily Route Options
- All breakfasts, 5 lunches, 4 dinners
- Expertise and services of our experienced Trip Leaders
- Snacks and beverages between meals
- Additional guides and experts from the region on many trips
- Van shuttles to support a variety of route options
- Comprehensive Travel Planner with detailed pre-trip information
- Private guided tours at museums, historic sites, wineries and other select attractions as noted in the Travel Planner
- All gratuities at hotels and restaurants
- Special events, including wine tastings and other select attractions as mentioned in the Travel Planner
- On biking and multi-adventure trips, use of fully equipped Backroads titanium bike plus helmet and accessories
- Trailercycles, carriers, and kid-sized helmets for Family Trips
- Equipment and experienced guides for kayaking, rafting, snorkeling, sailing and canoeing as described
- Park and other entry fees
- Fares for trains, ferries and other modes of travel as listed in the Travel Planner
- Select coach transfers
- Baggage transfers and porterage
We want to make sure you're on the right trip and that you have the best experience possible. Every Backroads trip is unique and this one is no exception.
The Southwest's canyon country is vast. As a result, this trip includes a few longer shuttles that allow us to cover the distance between the highlights we visit in Colorado and Utah.