Maine's Acadia Walking & Hiking Tour
Charming Camden & National Park Adventure
Maine might just have it all. Historic fishing villages adorning miles of rocky coastline. Romantic schooners weaving around islands and lighthouses. Winding hiking trails revealing ocean vistas, wildflowers and warblers. Festive meals and freshly plucked crustaceans. It's essential New England. And it's all here. In Maine.
THIS ITINERARY: 5 days, 4 nights
ACCOMMODATIONS: Premiere Hotels
Start/End locations may vary. Do not book flights until your trip details are confirmed.
- Hike the iconic coastal landscapes of New England amid rugged shores, verdant seaside mountains and pristine pine forests
- Venture into Acadia National Park, a stunning national treasure set on majestic Mount Desert Island
- Savor a classic East Coast experience: fresh seafood melting in your mouth
- Discover cliffs rising directly from the coast and the captivating villages of Camden and Bar Harbor
5 Days Premiere Hotels
Explore New England's diverse landscape at the Coastal Maine Botanical Gardens | Camden delights with its seaside beauty, quaint boutiques and seafaring history | Take a scenic sail on a restored windjammer | Ascend Camden Hills State Park's Mount Battie for panoramic views of Penobscot Bay | Spectacular vistas of cobalt-blue Lake Megunticook come into sight from a rock-ledge lookout | Find European elegance in coastal Maine at our Relais & Châteaux retreat.
An award-winning restaurant, exceptional hospitality and plush amenities come together to create a "refined stylishness that balances classic with contemporary," according to Andrew Harper. A Relais & Châteaux member. Travel + Leisure World's Best. (spa)
Walk along the historic carriage roads built by John D. Rockefeller, Jr., in the 1900s | Enjoy unparalleled views as you hike in Acadia National Park from the shore of pristine Jordan Pond to the bald peaks of Penobscot and Sargent Mountains | Stroll the lively streets of Bar Harbor, perched on Mount Desert Island | Trek up mighty Cadillac Mountain and learn about its unique granite trail system | At the summit, soak in 360-degree views of the harbor, Egg Rock Lighthouse and dozens of outlying islands | Head up the narrow trail of Dorr Mountain, Acadia’s second-highest peak, for a look over the east side of the park | Savor fresh-caught lobster and farm-to-table delights | Dip your toes in the Atlantic Ocean at Sand Beach as you stroll on Acadia’s impressive Great Head Peninsula | Hike up striking rocky cliffs for a shimmering ocean view | Wind down with a final Backroads picnic as we make our way back to Portland.
Spectacular views and elegant accommodations await at this luxury boutique hotel on Frenchman Bay. (pool, spa)
The earlier you book, the more choice you'll have and the lower your price. And you can always change your mind — you won't be charged to transfer to a different trip before your final payment is due. View cancellation policy
Click on dates for pricing, itinerary variations and to book your trip. Price is per person, double occupancy.
Activity Level: 2-4
Every Backroads trip is designed to appeal to a wide variety of interests and fitness levels. We know your pace may vary from one day to the next—and your traveling companion's may differ somewhat from yours. So we present a range of mileage options, and each day you decide exactly what and how much you want to do. LEARN MORE.
Note: The terrain we encounter on this trip ranges from gently rolling to hilly with several steep longer climbs. Hiking trails are often uneven, with roots, mud, rocks and other obstacles. Please note that unpredictable mountain weather and steep terrain can make hiking conditions more challenging than the mileage suggests.
- All breakfasts, 5 lunches, 3 dinners
- Expertise and services of our experienced Trip Leaders
- Snacks and beverages between meals
- Additional guides and experts from the region on many trips
- Van shuttles to support a variety of route options
- Comprehensive Travel Planner with detailed pre-trip information
- Private guided tours at museums, historic sites, wineries and other select attractions as noted in the Travel Planner
- All gratuities at hotels and restaurants
- Special events, including wine tastings and other select attractions as mentioned in the Travel Planner
- On biking and multi-adventure trips, use of fully equipped Backroads titanium bike plus helmet and accessories
- Trailercycles, carriers, and kid-sized helmets for Family Trips
- Equipment and experienced guides for kayaking, rafting, snorkeling, sailing and canoeing as described
- Park and other entry fees
- Fares for trains, ferries and other modes of travel as listed in the Travel Planner
- Select coach transfers
- Baggage transfers and porterage