Tanzania Active Family Safari - Teens & Kids
Serengeti Wildlife & Masai Villages
Adventure runs wild in Tanzania. Experience it as you bike from craters to highlands. Hike trails through acacia-dotted savannas. From a classic safari vehicle, witness lions stalking across the plains, elephants lumbering through the bush and the balletic gait of a pink flamingo. Then end your day at a splendid lodge. This family journey is wild—and wonderful.
THIS ITINERARY: 9 days, 8 nights
ACCOMMODATIONS: Premiere Hotels*
Special Kids Prices
Start/End locations may vary. Do not book flights until your trip details are confirmed.
- Luxuriate at extraordinary lodges in remote wilderness, seamlessly linking distinct pockets of Tanzania by private charter flights
- Bike and hike in World Heritage landscapes, from the wildlife-strewn Ngorongoro Crater to the boundless savanna of the Serengeti
- Experience a vast array of animals and scenery, with chances to see Africa's legendary Big Five, including the rare black rhino
- Discover a thriving land and its people with a Masai village encounter, interpretive walking safaris and a coffee plantation tour
9 Days Premiere Hotels*
Kick off your adventure with a bike ride in the beautiful Great Rift Valley | Walk the shore of Lake Manyara, a bird-watching haven famous for its pink flamingos | At night, spot bat-eared foxes and leopards searching for prey | Join a nature walk in Lake Manyara National Park, where cheetah, giraffe and baboon roam | Relish dinner beneath a canopy of stars.
Magnificent tree house suites comprise this luxurious lodge, cradled in the boughs of a mahogany forest. (pool, spa)
Spin through serene farmland to the slopes of Ngorongoro Crater | Adults and kids hike the caldera's forested rim, with dramatic views over its vast grasslands | Sip sundowners at our lavish abode | Pedal through traditional Masai villages, where we stop in for an informative visit | Hike in the lush Tanzanian highlands and tour a local coffee farm.
Old-world splendor abounds at this exquisite privately owned lodge, set in lush subtropical gardens. (pool)
Safari inside Ngorongoro's caldera, a World Heritage site teeming with incredible wildlife and beauty | Search for the Big Five: lion, leopard, elephant, rhinoceros and buffalo.
A classic luxury tented safari camp set among striking acacia trees on the crater's rim, a place where wildlife and scenic beauty are the central attractions.
Take a chartered flight to the extraordinary Serengeti, seemingly endless plains with spectacular game | Stay on the only private reserve to border both the Serengeti and Maasai Mara National Parks | On hikes and game drives, families explore wide-open savanna, tufts of forest, meandering streams and rocky outcroppings | Join an interpretive bush walk, with chances to see herds of wildebeest and zebra | Swap stories by the fire or take a moonlit game drive | Early risers enjoy one last game walk or safari in the Serengeti before our private charter flight back to Arusha.
Take in sweeping views over the vast Serengeti and Maasai Mara at this lavish camp, nestled in the remote Kuka Hills. (pool, spa)
The earlier you book, the more choice you'll have and the lower your price. And you can always change your mind — you won't be charged to transfer to a different trip before your final payment is due. View cancellation policy
Click on dates for pricing, itinerary variations and to book your trip. Price is per person, double occupancy.
Activity Level: 1-3
Every Backroads trip is designed to appeal to a wide variety of interests and fitness levels. We know your pace may vary from one day to the next—and your traveling companion's may differ somewhat from yours. So we present a range of mileage options, and each day you decide exactly what and how much you want to do. LEARN MORE.
Note: The minimum age required for kids to ride their own bike on this trip is 10+
Note: On this trip, we'll be using titanium mountain bikes that are just right for the non-technical dirt road riding as well as the paved riding.
Available Bike Options
- All breakfasts, 8 lunches, 8 dinners
- Expertise and services of our experienced Trip Leaders
- Snacks and beverages between meals
- Additional guides and experts from the region on many trips
- Van shuttles to support a variety of route options
- Comprehensive Travel Planner with detailed pre-trip information
- Private guided tours at museums, historic sites, wineries and other select attractions as noted in the Travel Planner
- All gratuities at hotels and restaurants
- Special events, including wine tastings and other select attractions as mentioned in the Travel Planner
- On biking and multi-adventure trips, use of fully equipped Backroads titanium bike plus helmet and accessories
- Trailercycles, carriers, and kid-sized helmets for Family Trips
- Equipment and experienced guides for kayaking, rafting, snorkeling, sailing and canoeing as described
- Park and other entry fees
- Fares for trains, ferries and other modes of travel as listed in the Travel Planner
- Select coach transfers
- Baggage transfers and porterage
We want to make sure you're on the right trip and that you have the best experience possible. Every Backroads trip is unique and this one is no exception.
On this trip, we occasionally travel by 12–17-passenger turboprop plane to reach the exclusive hotels and activities this destination has to offer.
We stay one night at Sanctuary Ngorongoro Crater Camp, a comfortable property located on the rim of the Ngorongoro Crater. By staying in this ideal location, we'll spend less time driving to the crater and will be among the first visitors in the crater in the morning, when wildlife viewing is optimal. The private tents have simple ensuite bathrooms complete with the quintessential bucket shower experience and electricity, but their canvas walls and doors means sounds may carry from other tents nearby...the perfect way to doze off while listening to the peaceful sounds of the African night.
Your journey through Tanzania will probably be unlike anything you've experienced. The people you'll meet and places you'll visit will likely stay with you for a very long time—especially if you've got a lot of memory for your camera, so be sure to come prepared! As wonderfully fulfilling as travel is in this country, it's not always easy. Even something as simple as crossing the road can be a challenge. Keep in mind that this is a developing country. And yet, the beauty of the people, culture and landscape shines through, making for an exotic experience that's completely worthwhile.Plus, our itineraries and Trip Leaders remove as many obstacles and inconveniences as possible, making your next extraordinary encounter always within reach. If you can be flexible and approach the region with a curious mind and good humor, you'll enjoy your trip to the fullest.Pedaling a bicycle on rural roads in Africa is both a physical and cultural adventure that requires quick thinking, patience and humor (watch out for that motorbike, cow or zebra!) Due to the less than ideal and ever-changing cycling conditions on this trip, Backroads provides specially fitted mountain bikes with touring tires and upright handlebars to maximize your comfort and control.