MAKE IT PRIVATE!
Base price now offered with only 6 guests for 2020 trips. LEARN MORE
Loire Valley Family Bike Tour - Teens & Kids
Storied Landscapes & Magical Castles
It has all the makings of a fairy tale. Storybook castles. Towers, flying buttresses and flawless gardens. Fertile fields, graceful rivers and idyllic biking routes. Exquisite treats at patisseries and gourmet meals. The Loire Valley—a family getaway that ends with "happily ever after."
THIS ITINERARY: 6 days, 5 nights
ACCOMMODATIONS: Premiere & Casual Plus Hotels*
Special Kids Prices
Start/End locations may vary. Do not book flights until your trip details are confirmed.
- Pedal peaceful family-friendly bike routes connecting unforgettable castles and magnificent old-world landscapes
- Walk in the footsteps of Leonardo da Vinci and check out some of the inspirations for his technological innovations
- Explore medieval, Renaissance and classical châteaux and get a taste of royal treatment at gracious castle-hotels
- Ride on horseback along the Loire River, learn how to fence and make chocolate with the experts (Just for kids)
6 Days Premiere & Casual Plus Hotels*
Ride family-friendly bike routes past enchanting villages and serene woodland | Explore Château de Chambord, the region’s largest castle and a magnificent display of French Renaissance architecture | Bike forested back roads and vineyard-covered hills | Relish unparalleled views of Chambord’s towers and steeples from our exquisite hotel.
Newly renovated with elegant modern design and luxurious amenities, this spectacular farmhouse-turned-hotel is adjacent to the decadent UNESCO-protected Chambord Castle. A Small Luxury Hotels of the World member. (spa)
Venture to Cheverny, the castle that inspired Hergé’s rendition in The Adventures of Tintin | Kids hop in the saddle for a horseback-riding adventure | Follow the river by bike toward the lively town of Amboise, where there’s time to stroll, shop and sip un café | Visit Leonardo da Vinci’s home, Clos Lucé, where you’ll marvel at the models and designs of his famous creations | Kids get a tasty lesson in chocolate making at a family-owned chocolaterie | Relax poolside at our hotel, an ivy-covered manor.
A turreted castle nestled amid trees on a terraced slope overlooking the Loire River. (pool)
Explore magical Château de Chenonceau, with its richly appointed interiors and dazzling artwork | En garde! Youngsters wield épées with a world-class fencing master before a special medieval-themed dinner just for them | Adults take a leisurely afternoon ride from one charming village to the next before returning to our elegant château-hotel | Discover the rolling pastures and goat farms behind the Loire’s famous fromage de chèvre | A peaceful route through vineyards and villages leads to Château de Villandry and its extraordinary gardens | Say au revoir to the Loire after one last morning spin as you take in views of the valley from our hotel’s grand terrace.
We're welcomed by the gracious Olivereau family at this charming 19th-century château with gorgeous countryside views. (pool)
The earlier you book, the more choice you'll have and the lower your price. And you can always change your mind — you won't be charged to transfer to a different trip before your final payment is due. View cancellation policy
Click on dates for pricing, itinerary variations and to book your trip. Price is per person, double occupancy.
Activity Level: 1-4
Every Backroads trip is designed to appeal to a wide variety of interests and fitness levels. We know your pace may vary from one day to the next—and your traveling companion's may differ somewhat from yours. So we present a range of mileage options, and each day you decide exactly what and how much you want to do. LEARN MORE.
Note: The minimum age required for kids to ride their own bike on this trip is 7+
Note: On this Family Trip, our routes follow gentle rolling terrain. Liberal van shuttling is incorporated into the itinerary and mileage is moderate to enable you to spend more time exploring on your own.
Available Bike Options
- All breakfasts, 6 lunches, 5 dinners
- Expertise and services of our experienced Trip Leaders
- Snacks and beverages between meals
- Additional guides and experts from the region on many trips
- Van shuttles to support a variety of route options
- Comprehensive Travel Planner with detailed pre-trip information
- Private guided tours at museums, historic sites, wineries and other select attractions as noted in the Travel Planner
- All gratuities at hotels and restaurants
- Special events, including wine tastings and other select attractions as mentioned in the Travel Planner
- On biking and multi-adventure trips, use of fully equipped Backroads titanium bike plus helmet and accessories
- Trailercycles, carriers, and kid-sized helmets for Family Trips
- Equipment and experienced guides for kayaking, rafting, snorkeling, sailing and canoeing as described
- Park and other entry fees
- Fares for trains, ferries and other modes of travel as listed in the Travel Planner
- Select coach transfers
- Baggage transfers and porterage
We want to make sure you're on the right trip and that you have the best experience possible. Every Backroads trip is unique and this one is no exception.
On many nights, the gourmet restaurants where we dine offer specially prepared limited or fixed menus featuring a delicious selection of authentic regional cuisine.