MAKE IT PRIVATE!
Base price now offered with only 6 guests for 2020 trips. LEARN MORE
Champagne & Alsace Bike Tour
Sparkling Champagne & the Alsace Wine Route
This trip bubbles over with legendary names like Dom Pérignon, Veuve Clicquot and Gewürztraminer. But have you biked vine-laced hills to the town where Napoleon enjoyed lavish soirées? Or pedaled alongside French canals, listening as they quietly flow by you? Have you ever tasted Champagne in Champagne? Oh, you will.
THIS ITINERARY: 6 days, 5 nights
ACCOMMODATIONS: Premiere Hotels
Start Reims / End Strasbourg
Start/End locations may vary. Do not book flights until your trip details are confirmed.
- Attend an exclusive private dinner and champagne pairing at world-famous Moët & Chandon, the oldest Maison de Champagne
- Bike by canals and through scenic towns on the famed Route des Vins, hugging the peaceful Vosges foothills
- Travel through some of France's most beautiful villages, with half-timbered houses and gardens filled with colorful geraniums
- Indulge in one of the most memorable dining experiences ever—two Michelin stars at the incomparable Auberge de l'Ill
6 Days Premiere Hotels
Celebrated vineyards, such as Moët & Chandon and Veuve Clicquot, provide an idyllic backdrop as you cycle in the Coteaux de Champagne and through a World Heritage landscape just outside of Paris | Visit Abbaye d'Hautvillers, where monk Dom Pierre Pérignon is buried | On the Avenue de Champagne, marvel at the splendid properties of prestigious négociants (wine merchants) | An exclusive cellar tour and dinner await at Moët & Chandon's legendary property.
Set in the heart of Champagne vineyards, this newly renovated country retreat features elegant modern design and top-notch service. A Relais & Châteaux member. (pool, spa)
From the charming town of Marlenheim, spin along the Route des Vins (Wine Route), beloved for its lovely canals and picturesque villages | Pedal easygoing terrain through the heart of Alsace, skirting the graceful Vosges foothills | With its profusion of Alsatian-style half-timbered houses and window boxes of geraniums, Obernai is a heavenly place to explore on foot.
Surrounded by lush vineyards and dense forests, this charming 17th-century family-owned château is the epitome of Alsatian style and hospitality. (pool, spa)
Stroll through Château du Haut-Koenigsbourg, a 12th-century fortress that overlooks the Rhine River Valley | Wander in beautifully preserved Riquewihr and Eguisheim, both among the designated Most Beautiful Villages of France, with stunning Gothic churches and medieval fortifications | Sit down to an incredible meal at Auberge de l'Ill, an exceptional family-run restaurant that has been awarded at least two Michelin stars for 50 years and counting | Enjoy one last morning ride in the valley, with views of the Vosges Massif on one side and Germany on the other.
This stylishly renovated 18th-century farmhouse—featuring a restaurant with two Michelin stars—is beautifully situated on the Ill River. (pool, spa)
The earlier you book, the more choice you'll have and the lower your price. And you can always change your mind — you won't be charged to transfer to a different trip before your final payment is due. View cancellation policy
Click on dates for pricing, itinerary variations and to book your trip. Price is per person, double occupancy.
Activity Level: 2-4
Every Backroads trip is designed to appeal to a wide variety of interests and fitness levels. We know your pace may vary from one day to the next—and your traveling companion's may differ somewhat from yours. So we present a range of mileage options, and each day you decide exactly what and how much you want to do. LEARN MORE.
Available Bike Options
- All breakfasts, 5 lunches, 4 dinners
- Expertise and services of our experienced Trip Leaders
- Snacks and beverages between meals
- Additional guides and experts from the region on many trips
- Van shuttles to support a variety of route options
- Comprehensive Travel Planner with detailed pre-trip information
- Private guided tours at museums, historic sites, wineries and other select attractions as noted in the Travel Planner
- All gratuities at hotels and restaurants
- Special events, including wine tastings and other select attractions as mentioned in the Travel Planner
- On biking and multi-adventure trips, use of fully equipped Backroads titanium bike plus helmet and accessories
- Trailercycles, carriers, and kid-sized helmets for Family Trips
- Equipment and experienced guides for kayaking, rafting, snorkeling, sailing and canoeing as described
- Park and other entry fees
- Fares for trains, ferries and other modes of travel as listed in the Travel Planner
- Select coach transfers
- Baggage transfers and porterage