Backroads is very excited to be on the roads and trails again. We look forward to welcoming you on your upcoming adventure.
Out of an abundance of caution, we are:
- Working with our Trip Leaders to ensure they are tested as frequently as feasible.
- Strongly recommending that all guests get tested before traveling with us on any trip regardless of regional entry requirements.
We make this recommendation out of consideration of the well-being of all our guests, our leaders and the local communities we visit. While we will never eliminate all risks associated with being out in the world this year, there are many things we can do to make travel this year as safe and responsible as possible.
Since new regional testing requirements may arise, planning a COVID-19 test prior to your departure (and keeping your negative test results with you while traveling) decreases the risk of complications to your travel plans.
You can find your nearest testing site here.
You can learn more about at-home testing options here.
Select US states and international destinations require that visitors obtain a negative COVID-19 test result in order to enter without quarantine.
Destinations with testing-related requirements for entry
We're running trips across the US and most destinations have no special requirements for entry. Those that have restrictions include:
- Hawaii Visitors must show proof of a negative COVID-19 test taken 72 hours prior to arrival. Testing must be completed by a Hawaii-approved trusted testing partner and results must be obtained by the time of your departure. Please make arrangements well in advance for on-site testing, home delivery tests or airport testing, and please note there may be additional testing or quarantine requirements for inter-island flights (for guests interested in extending their stay before or after their Backroads trip). Learn more
The United States recently implemented a requirement that all travelers returning to the country from abroad show proof of a negative PCR or rapid COVID-19 test taken within 72 hours before boarding their return flight. Backroads is working with our local partners to gather information on all testing options available for each international destination. Learn more
Most of the international regions where we offer trips have yet to reopen to American travelers. Those that have reopened include:
- Costa Rica is open to international visitors as of November 1. There is no longer a testing requirement to visit Costa Rica. Learn more.
- Ecuador is open to visitors of all nationalities. Visitors must arrive with proof of a negative PCR-based COVID-19 test taken within 10 days prior to arrival. Learn more.
- Colombia is open to US visitors. All visitors must arrive with proof of a negative PCR-based COVID-19 test taken 96 hours prior to arrival.
- Morocco is open to US visitors. All visitors must arrive with proof of a negative PCR-based COVID-19 test taken 72 hours prior to arrival.
- Tanzania is open to international visitors. Visitors may be required to show proof of a negative PCR-based COVID-19 test.
Backroads is committed to abiding by all state-level and regional requirements for the health and safety of our guests, leaders and local partners. It is a requirement that Backroads adhere to these regulations in order to operate in these states and we take that very seriously, and we ask that all our guests do the same. If we become aware that guests are in violation of state requirements, including entry testing prior to arrival for select states, they will unfortunately not be able to participate in the trip. Backroads will not refund trip costs for any guests who are unable to take part in the trip for this reason.
Please note that this page does not represent a complete list of worldwide destinations requiring COVID-19 testing for inbound travelers and is limited to just the destinations where we are currently operating our trips. Backroads does not reimburse for this expense.
If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to contact our office at 800-462-2848. We’re open Monday through Friday from 8am – 5pm PT.