Arrive Healthy, Stay Healthy
We believe the Backroads style of travel is particularly well-suited to these unusual times. Thousands of guests have traveled with us since June 2020, and their positive feedback underscores how glad we are to be providing folks with the opportunity to ease back into travel and actively explore the great outdoors. We will continue to build on what we've already learned as the world continues to reopen, allowing us to responsibly operate trips in more and more regions across the globe.
*Our policies will evolve to consistently balance convenience with safety, please check back as your trip date approaches.
On-Trip Requirements & Safety Measures
Backroads requires all guests to show proof of a negative PCR or rapid antigen COVID test taken within 72 hours of trip start OR show proof of vaccination. Your Trip Leaders will check for proof on the first day of your trip. If you are not able to provide sufficient proof, we will be unable to welcome you on your trip.
- When are you considered “fully vaccinated?” Two weeks after a second dose in a two-dose series or two weeks after a single-dose vaccine. See here for CDC vaccine guidance.
- Where can I test? Which tests are valid? Backroads accepts PCR tests OR lab-certified rapid antigen tests, see here for the testing site nearest you. Our requirement can also be met with certified home tests that include a telehealth component. See here for more about at-home testing options.
- What if a test is already required for travel? Backroads will accept test results used for entry requirements as long as they were received within 72 hours of trip start.
- What counts as “proof”? A hard copy, digital copy or picture of your negative COVID test will be accepted. We’ll also accept a medical certificate confirming recovery from COVID-19 dated no more than 90 days before departure. Please note that many regions (including most international destinations) have additional requirement and/or documents needed for entry. See details on regional entry requirements here.
- What if I am recovered from COVID-19? In addition to a confirmation of recovery from a medical professional as per above, you will need to have isolated as per CDC guidelines and be symptom-free.
- Will my Trip Leaders be vaccinated? Backroads is requiring all Trip Leaders to be fully vaccinated and boosted when eligible.
- What if someone has symptoms on trip? We have a robust internal protocol in place to safely address any COVID-19 related situations. If someone experiences symptoms on trip, they are asked to let the Trip Leaders know immediately. The Trip Leaders will ask the symptomatic person to isolate from the group and help facilitate a COVID-19 test. If the test is negative, no further action will be taken.
- What if someone tests positive for COVID-19 on trip? Following our internal protocol and CDC guidance, if a member of the group tests positive, we will ask the individual and any travel partner(s) (if sharing a room) to exit the trip for the well-being of the greater group. Trip Leaders will help facilitate this as well as share next steps with the other members of the group who may have had close contact with the positive individual.
Backroads strongly urges all eligible guests to be vaccinated. Regional requirements are constantly evolving, often with very little notice, so traveling unvaccinated is likely to cause trip disruption. Backroads will not offer reimbursement to those unable to join a trip or take part in certain activities due to not being vaccinated or not meeting testing requirements.
Staying Informed & Keeping You Up to Date
We’re always monitoring what’s happening in the world and how it impacts our trips. The COVID crisis is no exception. The latest recommendations from the CDC and WHO, along with local authorities where we travel, are guiding our decisions now and into the season. We’ll communicate any pertinent information related to your departure by email so you’re always in the loop.
24/7 Support & Prepared Trip Leaders
Our offices are staffed for emergencies, and we'll be there to provide support for you and our field team when needed. We have a robust internal protocol and designated response team that is available to our Trip Leaders 24/7 to support any COVID related issues that may arise. Our Trip Leaders, already trained in First Aid and CPR, will have a protocol to follow in case of any health issues. They'll be proactive communicators and prepared to manage logistics around any adjustments needed during your trip.
COVID-Related Policy & Protocols
See more information about the Backroads terms and booking policies here.