DESTINATION ENTRY REQUIREMENTS
There are currently special requirements for travelers to this region. Learn more.
Cinque Terre & Tuscany Family Walking & Hiking Tour - 20s & Beyond
Coastal Italy's Seaside Charm & Tuscan Villages
Bellissimo. It means beautiful in Italian. And you'll say it again and again as you gaze out at Cinque Terre’s spectacular views. As you hike through Tuscany’s gorgeous landscape. And as you experience just-off-the-fishing-boat seafood, exquisite wines, the azure sea, cypress trees, hill towns, welcoming people and warm sunlight. There's no better word to describe this family hiking tour.
THIS ITINERARY: 6 days, 5 nights
ACCOMMODATIONS: Casual & Casual Plus Hotels
Start Pisa / End Florence
Start/End locations may vary. Do not book flights until your trip details are confirmed.
- Hike the Cinque Terre's spectacular coastline, with brightly colored cliffside villages and unbeatable views of the sea
- Taste seafood on the Mediterranean coast and simple hearty fare with the renowned local wine in Chianti
- Wander through archetypal Tuscan villages, picturesque vineyards and peaceful tree-lined country lanes
- Celebrate the subtleties of crisp Ligurian white wines and full-bodied Tuscan reds at enchanting family-run wineries
6 Days Casual & Casual Plus Hotels
Take in expansive vistas of the Golfo della Spezia as you hike across a dramatic landscape to Portovenere | Enjoy a fresh seafood lunch on Palmaria Island | Hike coastal trails past terraced vineyards and silver-green olive groves | Prosecco and splendid views await at our waterfront Liberty-style hotel.
This modest seaside hotel offers charm and hospitality as warm and sunny as its colorful exterior.
Discover Cinque Terre's majestic coastline, a World Heritage site, on foot and by train | Well-groomed paths lined with ancient stone walls lead from Riomaggiore to Monterosso al Mare, with stops in Manarola, Corniglia and Vernazza along the way | Elegant villas line the route to posh Portofino | Walk along Portofino’s postcard-perfect waterfront or boat across Tigullio Bay | Explore Santa Margherita Ligure, the childhood home of Christopher Columbus | Enjoy Mediterranean flavors and family dinners by the sea.
Just steps from the bay of Santa Margherita, this art nouveau-style hotel is set atop a promontory, surrounded by oak, pine and palm trees.
Head inland to Chianti's quintessential Tuscan villages, vineyards and cypress-flanked lanes | Hike through the medieval villages of Greve in Chianti, Panzano and Montefioralle | Join our friend Fabrizio for a fun and informative tasting of regional wines | Savor bold balsamic vinegars in historic ridgetop Radda, the epicenter of Chianti Classico | Walk to Volpaia and 1,000-year-old Castelvecchi wine cellars, the perfect setting for a signature Backroads picnic paired with a glass of local wine | Take in grand pastoral panoramas from the strada bianca (white road), surrounded by vineyards and olive groves | Complete your Cinque Terre and Tuscany walking tour with a visit to dazzling Florence, birthplace of the Italian Renaissance.
Owned by the same family since the 1500s, this former manor house offers vistas of the countryside, olive groves and vineyards of Chianti Classico. (pool)
The earlier you book, the more choice you'll have and the lower your price. And you can always change your mind — you won't be charged to transfer to a different trip before your final payment is due. View cancellation policy
Click on dates for pricing, itinerary variations and to book your trip. Price is per person, double occupancy.
Activity Level: 1-4
Every Backroads trip is designed to appeal to a wide variety of interests and fitness levels. Several routes and a range of levels are offered each day so you can choose how much or how little activity you want to do. Learn more about how we determine activity levels.
The terrain on this trip includes a mix of rolling dirt and paved trails with sections of stone steps, forest paths and gravel country roads. Significant elevation gains and losses can make the routes feel more challenging than the mileage may suggest, especially along the coastal paths in Cinque Terre.
Daily Route Options
- All breakfasts, 4 lunches, 4 dinners
- Expertise and services of our experienced Trip Leaders
- Snacks and beverages between meals
- Additional guides and experts from the region on many trips
- Van shuttles to support a variety of route options
- Comprehensive Travel Planner with detailed pre-trip information
- Private guided tours at museums, historic sites, wineries and other select attractions as noted in the Travel Planner
- All gratuities at hotels and restaurants
- Special events, including wine tastings and other select attractions as mentioned in the Travel Planner
- On biking and multi-adventure trips, use of fully equipped Backroads titanium bike plus helmet and accessories
- Trailercycles, carriers, and kid-sized helmets for Family Trips
- Equipment and experienced guides for kayaking, rafting, snorkeling, sailing and canoeing as described
- Park and other entry fees
- Fares for trains, ferries and other modes of travel as listed in the Travel Planner
- Select coach transfers
- Baggage transfers and porterage
We want to make sure you're on the right trip and that you have the best experience possible. Every Backroads trip is unique and this one is no exception.
Cinque Terre is a popular tourist destination with busy peak seasons, especially during the summer months and on national holidays. Like any sought-after national park destination and World Heritage site, crowds are common. To access the best hiking areas in the Cinque Terre, we will sometimes be riding on state-operated regional trains alongside locals and other tourists. Like all public transportation, the trains can be subject to delay and may be crowded during peak seasons. Because the national park is still recovering from trail damage from previous years, weather-related trail closures may occur. In the event of a trail closure, your Backroads Trip Leaders will have alternate hikes and activities available.
Our routes through this captivating terrain are a combination of loop hikes and out-and-back trails that begin and end in the same location. In some cases our shuttles will get us to and from the trailheads, but due to the nature of these trails, we usually won't see our vehicles along the route. Ample trail support in the form of water, snacks and encouragement is provided by your Backroads leaders and local guides.
Hotel Belvedere is a modest property with a picturesque location in stunning Portovenere. While this property is simpler than the typical Backroads standard, we've chosen it because of its proximity to our favorite routes and the fantastic Mediterranean views.