Argentina's Patagonia Family Walking & Hiking Tour - 20s & Beyond
Epic Lakes, Peaks & Glaciers
The "time flies" theory doesn't work here. Imagine ferrying through a majestic fjord on Lake Argentino toward Upsala Glacier. Time has slowed, but you can't take in the scenery fast enough. The Andes look like petrified ocean waves against the blue sky. Framing everything perfectly. Time freezes in Patagonia when you're having so much fun.
THIS ITINERARY: 8 days, 7 nights
ACCOMMODATIONS: Premiere Hotels*
Start/End El Calafate
Start/End locations may vary. Do not book flights until your trip details are confirmed.
- Trek in Los Glaciares National Park below Cerro Fitz Roy's spires to Laguna de los Tres and Capri, and witness the spectacular calving of Perito Moreno Glacier
- Boat through crystalline waters among towering aquamarine icebergs in the Upsala Glacier channel with views of the famous Upsala Glacier
- Learn about fascinating geological history, glaciology and even gawk at ancient fossils along Estancia Cristina's epic Fossil Canyon Trail
- Explore the awe-inspiring Patagonian landscape on horseback—no better place than this to play gaucho!
8 Days Premiere Hotels*
Hike to spectacular views of 50-mile-long glacier-fed Lake Viedma | Hike in Los Glaciares National Park through lenga forests and along ice-carved valleys on the outskirts of the small mountain town of El Chaltén | Take in panoramic vistas on our hike to Mirador de los Cóndores and Mirador Aguila | Gaze upon the famed Fitz Roy peaks mirrored in the impossibly blue waters of Laguna Capri | Discover delectable Argentine vintages at a wine tasting—Malbec, Pinot Noir, Torrontés and more.
Enjoy spectacular views of the Chaltén Valley and the Río de las Vueltas from your room, and access stunning hikes from your doorstep. (spa)
Our Mirador Cerro Torre hike showcases the panorama of a spectacular glacial valley, leading us along glacial moraines and over the Fitz Roy River | Try homemade ice cream flavored with the local berry calafate and visit craft shops in El Calafate.
Beautifully constructed from timber and stone, this hotel is set in the heart of El Calafate. (pool, spa)
Hop in for an unforgettable boat ride among icebergs and views of the famous Upsala Glacier | Enjoy your stay at remote Estancia Cristina for the ultimate authentic Argentine ranch experience | Look for soaring condors along Cristina Bay | Trek to Fossil Canyon for jaw-dropping views of mountains, lakes, glaciers and multi-colored rock formations | Tour our estancia and learn about its history from the family's private museum collection.
A favorite among our guests, this remote historic ranch founded in 1914 offers the perfect launching point for hikes into Patagonia's wilderness. It's accessible only by boat, after a cruise on Lake Argentino past the dramatic Upsala Glacier. (This hotel is solar powered; no electricity 11 p.m.–6 a.m.)
Try on gaucho life with a guided horseback ride across the pampas | Sip yerba maté, the local beverage, like Patagonian cowboys | Get ready to be awestruck on a walk to see Perito Moreno Glacier, a stunning ice mass with 200-foot-high blue-hued walls | Hit the trails for a final hike with the magnificent Andes as your backdrop.
"Sophisticated yet homey—the kind of place where you don't worry about kicking off your muddy boots when you return from a hike," says Travel + Leisure about this remote country lodge on the Patagonian steppe. A Relais & Châteaux member.
The earlier you book, the more choice you'll have and the lower your price. And you can always change your mind — you won't be charged to transfer to a different trip before your final payment is due. View cancellation policy
Click on dates for pricing, itinerary variations and to book your trip. Price is per person, double occupancy.
Activity Level: 2-5
Every Backroads trip is designed to appeal to a wide variety of interests and fitness levels. We know your pace may vary from one day to the next—and your traveling companion's may differ somewhat from yours. So we present a range of mileage options, and each day you decide exactly what and how much you want to do. LEARN MORE.
Note: The terrain on this trip includes rolling paths and mountain trails along streams and fjords. Also, note that for some departures the activities listed in Daily Route Options vary. Download the Detailed Itinerary for details.
- All breakfasts, 7 lunches, 6 dinners
- Expertise and services of our experienced Trip Leaders
- Snacks and beverages between meals
- Additional guides and experts from the region on many trips
- Van shuttles to support a variety of route options
- Comprehensive Travel Planner with detailed pre-trip information
- Private guided tours at museums, historic sites, wineries and other select attractions as noted in the Travel Planner
- All gratuities at hotels and restaurants
- Special events, including wine tastings and other select attractions as mentioned in the Travel Planner
- On biking and multi-adventure trips, use of fully equipped Backroads titanium bike plus helmet and accessories
- Trailercycles, carriers, and kid-sized helmets for Family Trips
- Equipment and experienced guides for kayaking, rafting, snorkeling, sailing and canoeing as described
- Park and other entry fees
- Fares for trains, ferries and other modes of travel as listed in the Travel Planner
- Select coach transfers
- Baggage transfers and porterage
We want to make sure you're on the right trip and that you have the best experience possible. Every Backroads trip is unique and this one is no exception.
Our hikes through Patagonia's captivating rugged terrain climb rocky and sometimes uneven paths, many of which are remote and do not intersect with roads. Vehicles will get us to and from the trailheads, but due to the nature of these trails, we won't see our vehicles along the route. Ample trail support in the form of water, snacks and encouragement is provided by your Backroads leaders and local guides.
Most hikes on this itinerary are inside Argentine national parks and unlike other Backroads Walking & Hiking Trips, regulations require a certified local guide to accompany us. We offer flexibility by dividing into several groups of different paces, with each group hiking in the company of a local guide.
In order to experience the full grandeur of Argentina's Patagonia region, we spend more time shuttling and on boat crossings on this trip than on a typical Backroads trip. This enables us to explore the incredible variety of ecosystems and scenery this region has to offer. Rest assured, the views from these shuttles are spectacular.
Trips with a small number of guests may be supported by one Backroads Trip Leader and a team of knowledgeable local guides. Rest assured that there will always be at least two people hiking on the trail with you.
Because of Patagonia's extreme weather conditions and strong winds, mid-trip itinerary changes are possible on this trip. Boat crossings can be cancelled, which may delay our arrival to or departure from the hotel Estancia Cristina. Rest assured that if severe weather affects our planned activities, your Trip Leaders will find alternate activities that you're sure to enjoy. Expect the unexpected in this remote region, including slow or no internet and the occasional ATM possibly running out of cash. It's all part of the adventure!