South Africa & Botswana Family Active Safari - 20s & Beyond
Biking, the Big Five & Luxury Game Lodges
Get set for more natural beauty, wondrous wildlife, rich South African culture and carefree adventure than you can imagine! By bike, foot and open-top 4x4, treat your family to once-in-a-lifetime encounters, luxurious game lodges and epic biking and hiking, all seamlessly linked by our private charter flights.
THIS ITINERARY: 11 days, 10 nights
ACCOMMODATIONS: Premiere Hotels
South Africa & Botswana
Start Cape Town / End Johannesburg
Start/End locations may vary. Do not book flights until your trip details are confirmed.
- Unwind with your family in secluded lodges and luxurious safari camps, savoring local vintages and dining under the stars
- Safari in open-topped Land Rovers with our expert local guides and trackers and enjoy the chance to spot the legendary Big Five
- Hike in Cape Town along iconic Table Mountain to world-renowned Kirstenbosch Garden, then discover Constantia's winelands
- Bike among magnificent wildlife, including giraffe and zebra in Botswana, antelope in the Cederbergs and penguins on the Cape
11 Days Premiere Hotels
Hike a trail along the flanks of Table Mountain and Devil's Peak to extraordinary Kirstenbosch National Botanical Garden | Gain insight into traditional and contemporary culture from our local friends | Bike with your family from Cape Point to Chapman's Peak, looking for ostrich, baboons, rare Cape Mountain zebras and elands.
A historic manor house in the Cape winelands with stunning views of Table Mountain. A Relais & Châteaux member. (pool, spa)
Mountain bike, walk and rejuvenate at Bushmans Kloof Wilderness Reserve and Retreat, where ancient Bushman rock art and red hartebeest embellish the scenery | Savor local vintages or go canoeing.
This wilderness retreat features a gorgeous landscape and is home to a wide variety of antelope and birds. A Relais & Châteaux member. (pool, spa)
In remote Mashatu, learn to track classic African animals on a guided mountain bike ride in a reserve teeming with wildlife, including giraffes, the big cats and hundreds of bird species | Families bike in Botswana on ancient paths made by elephants | Tonight, dinner is served under the African sky around a blazing fire.
A spectacularly remote luxury camp built around a water hole where one of southern Africa's largest elephant herds congregates. (pool)
Families hike the rarely visited Great Escarpment, where wild vistas of the bush await | Vacation in a tented suite set among 250 acres of rose gardens, macadamia and litchi groves, and jackalberry and tambouti trees.
These luxurious tented lodge suites are nestled in a secluded valley along the Sabie River, where hippos sometimes bathe at dusk. (pool, spa)
Join our friends from the Africa Foundation to learn about local community projects | In Londolozi, spot the Big Five and other fascinating creatures, like dung beetles and lilac-breasted rollers, during exhilarating bush excursions on foot and in Landies.
An elegant game lodge on the Sand River offering chalets with balconies for observing elephants and hippos in the wild. Travel + Leisure World's Best. A Relais & Châteaux member. (pool)
The earlier you book, the more choice you'll have and the lower your price. And you can always change your mind — you won't be charged to transfer to a different trip before your final payment is due. View cancellation policy
Click on dates for pricing, itinerary variations and to book your trip. Price is per person, double occupancy.
Activity Level: 1-3
Every Backroads trip is designed to appeal to a wide variety of interests and fitness levels. Several routes and a range of levels are offered each day so you can choose how much or how little activity you want to do. Learn more about how we determine activity levels.
The walking terrain includes rugged bush trails, with the focus on game viewing. The biking routes on this trip follow narrow rocky paths and dirt and paved roads. All the walks and bike rides in game reserves are optional with game drives as an alternative activity.
Daily Route Options
Available Bike Options
The key to a stellar day's ride is a bike that's perfectly in tune with your cycling style… Backroads has you covered with the best bike fleet in the world! Read on for your available bike options for this trip.
- All breakfasts, 10 lunches, 10 dinners
- Expertise and services of our experienced Trip Leaders
- Snacks and beverages between meals
- Additional guides and experts from the region on many trips
- Van shuttles to support a variety of route options
- Comprehensive Travel Planner with detailed pre-trip information
- Private guided tours at museums, historic sites, wineries and other select attractions as noted in the Travel Planner
- All gratuities at hotels and restaurants
- Special events, including wine tastings and other select attractions as mentioned in the Travel Planner
- On biking and multi-adventure trips, use of fully equipped Backroads titanium bike plus helmet and accessories
- Trailercycles, carriers, and kid-sized helmets for Family Trips
- Equipment and experienced guides for kayaking, rafting, snorkeling, sailing and canoeing as described
- Park and other entry fees
- Fares for trains, ferries and other modes of travel as listed in the Travel Planner
- Select coach transfers
- Baggage transfers and porterage
We want to make sure you're on the right trip and that you have the best experience possible. Every Backroads trip is unique and this one is no exception.
On this trip we occasionally travel by air to reach the exclusive hotels and activities this destination has to offer. We'll be flying by charter with Avalon Aviation and Federal Air aboard turboprop planes that seat 10 passengers.