French, Italian & Swiss Alps Family Multi-Adventure Tour - 20s & Beyond
Legendary Mont Blanc, Chamonix & Lake Geneva
Follow sections of the incomparable Tour du Mont Blanc trail. Fly over glaciers and peaks as you cross borders by gondola. Hike routes through valley forests, past terraced vineyards and above the shore of Lake Geneva. Trek into the World Heritage landscape of Montreux on the Swiss Riviera. Glacier walks, white-water rafting and kayaking add even more thrills. Score an alpine hat trick on this family adventure in Italy, France and Switzerland.
THIS ITINERARY: 6 days, 5 nights
ACCOMMODATIONS: Premiere Hotels*
France, Italy & Switzerland
Start/End locations may vary. Do not book flights until your trip details are confirmed.
- Trek with your family in the foothills of iconic Mont Blanc, on a balcony trail below the Aiguille du Midi and along the Mer de Glace glacier
- Discover alpine trails in the Aosta Valley, where a lush wooded landscape opens up to views of snowcapped mountains
- Paddle Class III rapids on the Dora Baltea river and glide in a kayak across glacial Lake Geneva to an ancient Swiss castle
- Immerse yourself in an awe-inspiring landscape from Italy's Courmayeur to the French mountaineering center of Chamonix
6 Days Premiere Hotels*
Journey with your family through a mountain wonderland in the Italian Alps | Walk hand-picked stretches of the Tour du Mont Blanc trail, considered one of the best hikes in the world | Follow a towering balcony trail over Val Veny, taking in scenes of Monte Bianco (Mont Blanc) and the wondrously green valley below | Stop for lunch at a postcard-perfect rifugio (high-elevation refuge) | Trek in the Aosta Valley, home to ibex, chamois, eagles and marmots | Raft down Class III rapids on the glacial Dora Baltea river | Dive into Courmayeur’s one-of-a-kind Italian mountain culture and atmosphere.
Mountain charm and warm hospitality are highlights at this hotel in the picturesque Italian Alps. (pool, spa)
Fly over glaciers and peaks as you cross the border between Italy and France by gondola | Gaze up at the Aiguille du Midi, a lone needle of rock looming above ice fields and moraine-strewn crags | Admire breathtaking views of the Chamonix Valley after hiking to the summit | Families channel their inner mountaineers at Refuge du Montenvers, a unique high-altitude hotel that has housed explorers since the late 19th century.
Wake up to a panorama of the Mer de Glace and Aiguille des Drus in this recently renovated 19th-century mountaineering landmark that once hosted Victor Hugo, George Sand, Charles Dickens and Napoleon III.
Hike with crampons and local high-alpine guides on the Mer de Glace (Sea of Ice), the Alps’ second-largest glacier | Wander through the famed mountaineering center of Chamonix | In Switzerland, sparkling Lake Geneva awaits | Splash around in the pool, soak up the sun or unwind at the spa at the grand Fairmont Le Montreux Palace | Head into the Swiss canton of Vaud and follow trails amid tidy vineyards and magnificent peaks with beautiful views of Lake Geneva | Kayak to Chillon Castle, an island fortress that once controlled passage between northern and southern Europe | Trek through the terraced vineyards of World Heritage landscape Montreux | Au revoir! Bid farewell to an incredible family journey through the Alps.
On the shore of dazzling Lake Geneva, this palatial hotel features top-notch service, outstanding views of the Alps and sun-filled luxurious rooms. (pool, spa)
The earlier you book, the more choice you'll have and the lower your price. And you can always change your mind — you won't be charged to transfer to a different trip before your final payment is due. View cancellation policy
Click on dates for pricing, itinerary variations and to book your trip. Price is per person, double occupancy.
Activity Level: 2-4
Every Backroads trip is designed to appeal to a wide variety of interests and fitness levels. We know your pace may vary from one day to the next—and your traveling companion's may differ somewhat from yours. So we present a range of mileage options, and each day you decide exactly what and how much you want to do. LEARN MORE.
Note: The hiking terrain on this trip includes paved and gravel access roads, well-maintained dirt paths and rocky exposed trails. During our glacier-walking excursion, we're accompanied by expert mountain guides and we'll wear crampons to walk on snow and ice. An alternative hiking option is available if this activity is not for you. Most activities take place at elevations of 6,000–8,000 feet (and up to 12,000 feet), which can make the routes feel more challenging than the mileage may suggest.
- All breakfasts, 6 lunches, 4 dinners
- Expertise and services of our experienced Trip Leaders
- Snacks and beverages between meals
- Additional guides and experts from the region on many trips
- Van shuttles to support a variety of route options
- Comprehensive Travel Planner with detailed pre-trip information
- Private guided tours at museums, historic sites, wineries and other select attractions as noted in the Travel Planner
- All gratuities at hotels and restaurants
- Special events, including wine tastings and other select attractions as mentioned in the Travel Planner
- On biking and multi-adventure trips, use of fully equipped Backroads titanium bike plus helmet and accessories
- Trailercycles, carriers, and kid-sized helmets for Family Trips
- Equipment and experienced guides for kayaking, rafting, snorkeling, sailing and canoeing as described
- Park and other entry fees
- Fares for trains, ferries and other modes of travel as listed in the Travel Planner
- Select coach transfers
- Baggage transfers and porterage
We want to make sure you're on the right trip and that you have the best experience possible. Every Backroads trip is unique and this one is no exception.
Our hikes through the Alps’ captivating rugged terrain climb rocky and sometimes uneven paths, many of which are remote and do not intersect with roads. Vehicles will get us to and from the trailheads, but due to the nature of these trails, we won't see our vehicles along the route. Ample trail support in the form of water, snacks and encouragement is provided by your Backroads leaders and local guides.
Hiking in the mountains can mean quickly changing, unpredictable weather, even during the warm and sunny summer months. Careful packing is essential for your comfort and overall enjoyment. Be prepared to carry multiple layers every day on the trip—warm base layers, a windproof/rain jacket and rain pants, and even a down jacket, hat and gloves for our day hiking on the glacier.