DESTINATION ENTRY REQUIREMENTS
There are currently special requirements for travelers to this region. Learn more.
Costa Rica Family Multi-Adventure Tour – 20s & Beyond
Rain Forest, Rivers & the Pacific Coast
Come adventure with us in Costa Rica! Experience many of this nation's precious ecosystems firsthand on this action-packed journey. Marvel at a unique volcano, soak up the sun on sandy beaches, hike through lush jungles, dip your toes in a natural hot spring, encounter wildlife at every turn and enjoy a rich array of activities, from rafting to hiking and zip-lining.
THIS ITINERARY: 6 days, 5 nights
ACCOMMODATIONS: Casual Plus & Premiere Hotels*
Start/End locations may vary. Do not book flights until your trip details are confirmed.
- Raft the white-water rapids of the thrilling Río Tenorio and discover the region's magnificent flora and fauna
- Hike to a viewpoint above Río Perdido and gaze over Miravalles, Rincón de la Vieja and Tenorio Volcanoes
- Bike around peaceful Lake Arenal and then soak in our hotel's natural thermal pools surrounded by jungle
- Learn the secrets to perfecting delicious Costa Rican cuisine in an exclusive hands-on cooking class
6 Days Casual Plus & Premiere Hotels*
Volcanic wonders await in Costa Rica's Guanacaste province | White-water raft on a thrilling Class III–IV trip down the Río Tenorio | Hike with your family to a viewpoint showcasing the region's majestic volcanoes | Soak in the healing waters of natural spring-fed thermal rivers and pools | Immerse yourself in nature and unwind at our chic jungle oasis.
Tucked away in the forest on a peninsula between Río Blanco and Río Perdido, this hotel offers chic and modern bungalow-style rooms as well as unparalleled access to nature adventures. (pool, spa)
Bike a picturesque route around Lake Arenal's lush northeasten shore | From palms and ferns to jungle critters and toucans, this ride has no shortage of incredible flora and fauna | Admire Arenal Volcano's iconic peak as you ride (clouds permitting!) | Hike on a series of hanging bridges through the forest canopy and get a bird's-eye view of the rain forest | Escape in our hotel's inviting geothermal pools.
Take in majestic views of Arenal Volcano while soaking in your suite's private whirlpool. (pool, spa)
Walk through the lush habitat of sloths, monkeys, toucans and lizards | Hike to La Fortuna waterfall's stunning emerald pools | Master local specialties like ceviche and patacones in a hands-on cooking class | A private charter flight brings us to the beautiful beaches of the Pacific coast | Take in sunset views and a beachfront meal of Latin-fusion delicacies | Grab a paddle and sea kayak or paddleboard and explore the coastline on tranquil crystalline waters | Optional on-your-own activities abound! Soak up some sun, learn how to surf, zip-line through a forest or swim in the Pacific | Rejuvenate with a yoga class or a morning stroll down to the sea.
A hip boutique hotel set beside mangrove forests on the chocolate-sand shores of Playa Panamá. (pool, spa)
The earlier you book, the more choice you'll have and the lower your price. And you can always change your mind — you won't be charged to transfer to a different trip before your final payment is due. View cancellation policy
Click on dates for pricing, itinerary variations and to book your trip. Price is per person, double occupancy.
Activity Level: 1-2
Every Backroads trip is designed to appeal to a wide variety of interests and fitness levels. Several routes and a range of levels are offered each day so you can choose how much or how little activity you want to do. Learn more about how we determine activity levels.
Daily Route Options
Available Bike Options
The key to a stellar day's ride is a bike that's perfectly in tune with your cycling style… Backroads has you covered with the best bike fleet in the world! Read on for your available bike options for this trip.
- All breakfasts, 5 lunches, 4 dinners
- Expertise and services of our experienced Trip Leaders
- Snacks and beverages between meals
- Additional guides and experts from the region on many trips
- Van shuttles to support a variety of route options
- Comprehensive Travel Planner with detailed pre-trip information
- Private guided tours at museums, historic sites, wineries and other select attractions as noted in the Travel Planner
- All gratuities at hotels and restaurants
- Special events, including wine tastings and other select attractions as mentioned in the Travel Planner
- On biking and multi-adventure trips, use of fully equipped Backroads titanium bike plus helmet and accessories
- Trailercycles, carriers, and kid-sized helmets for Family Trips
- Equipment and experienced guides for kayaking, rafting, snorkeling, sailing and canoeing as described
- Park and other entry fees
- Fares for trains, ferries and other modes of travel as listed in the Travel Planner
- Select coach transfers
- Baggage transfers and porterage
We want to make sure you're on the right trip and that you have the best experience possible. Every Backroads trip is unique and this one is no exception.
On this trip we travel by air to reach the exclusive areas this destination has to offer. We will be flying by charter with Sansa Airlines aboard turbo-prop planes that seat 8-14 passengers. These flights occasionally experience delays or cancellations due to inclement weather. In the rare instance a flight is cancelled we are prepared to travel by land.
Costa Rica is world-renowned for numerous ecoadventures; however, due to the tropical climate and under-developed infrastructure, road maintenance is a continual challenge and options for bike routes are limited. As a result, we've paired our core activities with ones that are suited to this destination, such as zip-lining and rafting. The level of these activities, combined with enough downtime to relax and take advantage of the hotels, will be the ideal way to experience la pura vida.
In order to bring you to diverse and unique regions, we spend more time shuttling on this trip than on many other Backroads trips. Our time in the shuttles will allow us to experience the incredible variety of ecosystems, scenery and activities that Costa Rica has to offer.
During the trip there's time for you to enjoy some of Costa Rica's favorite activities, such as zip-lining, horseback riding and surfing. These activities are often a highlight for those who choose to do them, but due to liability issues and because they're not to everyone's liking they're not included in the cost of the trip and participation is at your own risk.
The holiday and spring break months are a great time to travel; however, with days off and the desire to escape for sunshine many others have the same idea. While we always aim to get off the beaten path, during certain times of the year crowds and delays are unavoidable.