You're surrounded. Sapphire waters to your left. Exquisite Renaissance façades on your right. Centuries-old cobblestones beneath your feet. Sun-drenched islands on the horizon. The fragrance of lavender and sweet mandarin oranges wafting from an outdoor market. A scenic morning ride, a swim at midday and an impossibly fresh seafood dinner. It's your new routine. How do you like it?
Day 1 Dive into the rich history and culture of Croatia's reborn Dalmatian Coast From bustling Split, home to Roman Emperor Diocletian's Palace, sail by private boat to Brac Island Old olive groves, crumbling walls and white woolly sheep line a coastal—and hilly!—bike ride to Pucisca, a quiet fishing village Savor a delicious Croatian-style barbecue in our hotel's lush garden, surrounded by almond and fig trees.
Days 2-3 Hang out on untouched Adriatic beaches where the swimming is incredible Enjoy a boat ride (and maybe even a cannonball off the upper deck!) before a coastal hike on the lavender-scented island of Hvar Check out Croatia's most impressive collection of Venetian Renaissance architecture in Hvar Town Spin past ancient stone terraces en route to Stari Grad.
Day 4 Explore ancient island towns where sentries once kept watch for pirates Kayak the coves of the Pakleni islets, stopping to snorkel, swim and kick back on a tranquil beach It's a relaxing boat trip to Korcula Island At tonight's dinner, grown-ups are serenaded by local klapa singers while kids enjoy an adult-free meal at a pizzeria.
Days 5-6 Stroll 82 feet above dazzling Dubrovnik during a guided walk on the city's defensive stone walls Awesome island views keep you pedaling along hills and past quaint villages, vineyards and almond groves The medieval town of Korcula, a treasure trove of stone palaces and arched bridges, is a fun place to discover.
- Experience the reborn Dalmatian Coast by bike, foot and kayak
- Croatia's fascinating history and culture
- Island-hop along the sunny Adriatic and splash in hidden coves
- The freshest seafood and local cuisine
- The exquisite World Heritage site of Dubrovnik
Deskovic Palace (1 night): A Renaissance family palace on the waterfront and a registered cultural monument dating from 1497.
Hotel Amfora (2 nights): Set on an idyllic bay and surrounded by thick pines. (pool)
Hotel Korkyra (1 night): Overlooking the port and recently renovated with a sleek contemporary design, this hotel is Vela Luka's best option. (pool, spa)
Hilton Imperial Dubrovnik (1 night): Located just outside the old town gates with plentiful amenities and a history of entertaining dignitaries and celebrities. (pool)
Every Backroads trip is designed to appeal to a wide variety of
interests and fitness levels. We know your pace may vary from one
day to the next-and your traveling companion's may differ somewhat
from yours. So we present a range of mileage options, and each
day you decide exactly what and how much you want to do.
Routes For All Abilities
|Daily Route Options|
|Level 1||Level 2||Level 3||Level 4||Level 5|
|miles||feet gain||miles||feet gain||miles||feet gain||miles||feet gain||miles||feet gain|
|Other||Boat to Brac Island (1.5 Hours)|
|Other||Boat to Hvar Island (1 Hour)|
|4||Kayaking||Around Hvar Island (2 Hours)|
|Other||Boat to Korcula Island (2 - 3 Hours)|
|Other||Boat and Bus to Dubrovnik (2.5 hours)|
|6||Other||Guided Walk on Dubrovnik’s City Walls (45 Minutes)|
* Includes a shuttle
2015 Dates & Pricing*
- 6/9-14 Price: $4298 pp dbl. occ., (+ $900 for sgl. occ.)
- 6/14-19 Price: $4298 pp dbl. occ., (+ $900 for sgl. occ.)
- 6/16-21 Price: $4198 pp dbl. occ., (+ $900 for sgl. occ.)
- 6/21-26 Price: $4298 pp dbl. occ., (+ $900 for sgl. occ.)
- 6/30-7/5 Price: $4298 pp dbl. occ., (+ $900 for sgl. occ.)
- 7/1-6 Price: $4198 pp dbl. occ., (+ $900 for sgl. occ.)
- 7/5-10 Price: $4298 pp dbl. occ., (+ $900 for sgl. occ.)
- 7/12-17 Price: $4198 pp dbl. occ., (+ $900 for sgl. occ.)
- 7/19-24 Price: $4298 pp dbl. occ., (+ $900 for sgl. occ.)
- 7/21-26 Price: $4298 pp dbl. occ., (+ $900 for sgl. occ.)
- 8/2-7 Price: $4298 pp dbl. occ., (+ $900 for sgl. occ.)
- 8/4-9 Price: $4298 pp dbl. occ., (+ $900 for sgl. occ.)
- 8/9-14 Price: $4298 pp dbl. occ., (+ $900 for sgl. occ.)
- 8/10-15 Price: $4298 pp dbl. occ., (+ $900 for sgl. occ.)
- 8/11-16 Price: $4298 pp dbl. occ., (+ $900 for sgl. occ.)
- 8/16-21 Price: $4298 pp dbl. occ., (+ $900 for sgl. occ.)
- 8/18-23 Price: $4098 pp dbl. occ., (+ $900 for sgl. occ.)
*Prices may change. Once you book your trip, your price is guaranteed.
Recommended Kids Ages
- Recommended minimum age for the trip: 9 years
- Minimum age restriction to ride own bike: 9 years
- No Burley Cub trailers or Kazoos available on this trip
General Info on Minimum Ages:We strongly encourage families to join our Family Trips, designed with kid- and adult-friendly features. Please note that we have a minimum age requirement of 1 year for all Inn trips and 2 years for all Camping trips. Other than that, we do not restrict trips to a minimum age except in the rare case of a hotel age restriction. We do, however, recommend minimum ages based on the following criteria:
- 12+ amount of cultural appreciation, difficulty of activities, routes
- 9+ difficulty of activities/activity age restrictions, routes
- 6+ several longer dinners; routes are difficult for pulling a Burley Cub trailer and therefore not appropriate for younger children; difficulty of activities/activity age restrictions
Private Trips Options & Pricing
Gather your favorite people to share a Backroads adventure on a ready-to-book Private Trip - featuring all the legendary Backroads hallmarks from expert leaders to unforgettable activities.
You can pick from a large selection of dates for your group of 8 or more. Call us for date availability.
If your party has fewer than 8 guests, or if your preferred date is not available, we'll create a departure just for you.
Pricing for Private Trips (prices may vary based on departure date)
|8 - 9 guests from $4,698 pp dbl. occ.||12 or more guests from $3,898 pp dbl. occ.|
|10 - 11 guests from $4,198 pp dbl. occ.|
For groups of 2 to 7 guests, please call for Custom Trip pricing.
Youth savings do not apply to Private Trips.
Guest Trip Reviews
The Dalmatian Coast was gorgeous, the Croatian Riviera. I don't think most people realize that it's so tropical and a sailor's delight. The people are very friendly and helpful, and English was spoken everywhere we went. Dubrovnik is a very unique and fascinating city. I would highly recommend this trip to everyone. As usual, we put our faith in Backroads in traveling to an exotic location and were not disappointed.- Billings, MT
Of the four absolutely awesome Backroads trips I've taken, this has been the best. Croatia is heavenly and the Bozidar experience was what made it for my family. Diving off the boat into the Adriatic was spectacular, and Stipe and crew were fabulous - what great food and kindness!- Sunnyvale, CA
Best vacation ever! Great guides, beautiful places, interesting culture and fun, fun, fun! Thank you!- Berkeley, CA
This trip has been on our wish list for many years Our memories of biking through Croatia with Backroads will last us a lifetime! Thanks Tom and Liz, we love you in Houston!!- Houston, TX
Our trip was great! I haven't been on a bike in years it was really fun! The places we stayed at and the family homes we ate at were amazing!- Santa Cruz, CA
While it is difficult to find a vacation that suits two teenage sons and a mother, this one hit the target perfectly.- Swampscott, MA
This is my first Backroads trip and I think I am hooked. I definitely like the multisport trips and am planning to do one again soon! My family really enjoyed the experience as well and are keen to do another one again.- West Vancouver, Canada