Perfection cannot be rushed. Just ask anyone in Vermont or Québec. They know their sublime Northern Appalachian landscape didn't turn up overnight. It took eons. Continents collided. Glaciers scraped. Weather scoured. Each step doing its part to create a masterpiece of rolling hills, lush serene valleys and pristine lakes. Logical really, that the best things in life take time. Like biking through this untouched part of North America. Savoring fresh air. Hand-pressed apple cider. Winding roads. Handicrafts. The perfect vacation.
Days 1-2 Bike through quintessential Vermont, with classic New England scenery Idyllically set Stowe invites you into its historic downtown, full of handcrafted furniture and specialty food shops Pedal on serene roads, passing perfectly manicured farms, forested mountains and tranquil lakes.
Day 3 Covered bridges and babbling brooks line our route north through the sleepy communities of Waterville, Belvidere and Montgomery Center Make your way up winding roads to Jay Peak and feast your eyes on sweeping vistas of Long Trail State Forest.
Day 4 Spin through Québec's enchanting Eastern Townships, where artisans abound and French is spoken Trace the eastern shore of beautiful 27-mile-long Lake Memphrémagog, rumored to harbor a sea creature Mont Orford rises above this verdant glacier-carved landscape Cycle past charming summer homes and an endless shimmering lake.
Days 5-6 Warm Québecois culture and mouthwatering cuisine, including fresh cheese, apple cider and duck foie gras Ride south through gorgeous valleys and past sparkling lakes, picturesque farms, craftsmen's stores and quaint villages In North Hatley, browse delightful galleries and antiques shops Shuttle back to Burlington or on to Québec City, North America's only remaining fortified city, with impressive architecture, cobbled streets and French heritage.
- Two countries and cultures; one trip of idyllic mountains, valleys and lakes
- Bike quiet rolling roads past classic New England farms, maple syrup stands and covered bridges
- Québec's enchanting Eastern Townships, where artisans abound and French is spoken
- Taste maple syrup, fresh cheeses, foie gras, apple cider and other local delights
- Québec City, with impressive architecture and French heritage - why not extend your trip to see it?
Topnotch Resort & Spa (2 nights): This "120-acre resort has turned itself into the most sumptuous in Stowe," says Condé Nast Traveler. (pool, spa, tennis)
Tram Haus Lodge (1 night): Old chairlift towers, sheave wheels and tram cable are cleverly incorporated into the décor of this welcoming modern lodge at the base of Jay Peak Resort. (spa, golf)
Manoir Hovey (2 nights): Set on the shore of pristine Lake Massawippi, this luxurious 1899 Georgian inn was modeled after George Washington's home in Mount Vernon. A Relais & Châteaux member. (pool, tennis)
Every Backroads trip is designed to appeal to a wide variety of
interests and fitness levels. We know your pace may vary from one
day to the next-and your traveling companion's may differ somewhat
from yours. So we present a range of mileage options, and each
day you decide exactly what and how much you want to do.
Routes For All Abilities
|Daily Route Options|
|Level 1||Level 2||Level 3||Level 4||Level 5|
|miles||feet gain||miles||feet gain||miles||feet gain||miles||feet gain||miles||feet gain|
There is less than 5% of riding on hard-packed dirt on this trip. Since the overwhelming majority of the trip is paved, we've elected to use standard road bike tires on our titanium road bikes. Most guests find this to be the right answer. If you prefer to skip the dirt, a shuttle is always a possibility.
* Includes a shuttle
2014 Dates & Pricing*
- 7/13-18 Price: $3498 pp dbl. occ., (+ $1050 for sgl. occ.)
- 7/27-8/1 Price: $3298 pp dbl. occ., (+ $1050 for sgl. occ.)
- 8/10-15 Price: $3098 pp dbl. occ., (+ $1050 for sgl. occ.)
- 8/31-9/5 Price: $3098 pp dbl. occ., (+ $1050 for sgl. occ.)
- 9/7-12 Price: $3298 pp dbl. occ., (+ $1050 for sgl. occ.)
- 9/14-19 Price: $3098 pp dbl. occ., (+ $1050 for sgl. occ.)
- 9/21-26 Price: $3298 pp dbl. occ., (+ $1050 for sgl. occ.)
- 9/28-10/3 Price: $3298 pp dbl. occ., (+ $1050 for sgl. occ.)
*Prices may change. Once you book your trip, your price is guaranteed.
Private Trips Options & Pricing
Gather your favorite people to share a Backroads adventure on a ready-to-book Private Trip - featuring all the legendary Backroads hallmarks from expert leaders to unforgettable activities.
You can pick from a large selection of dates for your group of 8 or more. Call us for date availability.
If your party has fewer than 8 guests, or if your preferred date is not available, we'll create a departure just for you.
Pricing for Private Trips
- 2 - 3 guests $4,698 pp dbl. occ.
- 4 - 5 guests $4,298 pp dbl. occ.
- 6 - 7 guests $3,998 pp dbl. occ.
- 8 - 9 guests $3,798 pp dbl. occ.
- 10 - 11 guests $3,398 pp dbl. occ.
- 12 or more guests $3,098 pp dbl. occ.
Guest Trip Reviews
We've combined two of our all-time favorite regions - northern Vermont and Québec's Eastern Townships - into a trip we're certain you'll love. You'll bike on quiet back roads, enjoying classic New England countryside and charming villages with a distinct Gallic flair. And you'll savor delectable local cuisine and elegantly welcoming inns. At the trip's end, we encourage you to extend your vacation with some extra time in Québec City.- Regional Manager