Barcelona lures you with its irrepressible éclat. But it's just the start of an unforgettable trip through the heart of Catalonia. Soon you're swept into the Pyrenees. Straddling the French border and riding roads the pro cyclists use to train for that famous French race. You'll wonder how they just speed past these views. Descend and the air warms, the sun strengthens and the aroma of the coast fills the air. You'll wind up on the Costa Brava, with glorious sea views and a landscape that inspired surrealist Salvador Dalí - a fitting end to this journey through one of Europe's most enticing regions.
Day 1 Kick things off in Barcelona, Catalonia's effervescent capital Gaze in awe at the limestone massif of Cadí-Moixeró Nature Reserve, standing above the idyllic Cerdanya Valley Sample cava, Spain's beloved version of bubbly Relax at our exquisite Relais & Châteaux hotel.
Days 2-3 Scenic routes in the Pyrenees foothills lead into France Begin your ride in Llívia, a Spanish enclave surrounded by French territory and situated along the famous Camino de Santiago pilgrimage route A challenging climb up Coll de la Creueta is rewarded with incredible views Experience Salvador Dalí's mind-bending work at the Dalí Museum in Figueres.
Day 4 Dalí's artistic genius shines at the medieval Gala Dalí Castle he restored for his wife Ride past fields of sunflowers and wheat to the beautiful Baix Empordà, the "region of coves," stopping to explore hamlets with cobbled town squares, Baroque-style churches and ancient fortresses Penchant for pottery? You'll be in heaven in La Bisbal, Catalonia's ceramics capital.
Days 5-6 Bike along the Costa Brava, where the Mediterranean laps against white-sand beaches and villages cling to forested hills above hidden bays The Gavarres Nature Reserve offers up another heart-pumping climb Indulge in a siesta on a white-sand beach or cool off in the crystalline Mediterranean.
- Kick off the journey in vibrant Barcelona
- Ride scenic routes in both the Spanish and French Pyrenees
- Highly acclaimed Catalan fusion cuisine and fresh seafood
- Costa Brava bike paths, where the Mediterranean laps against miles of white-sand beaches
- Admire the artistic genius of Salvador Dalí
Torre del Remei (2 nights): Set amid acres of lush manicured gardens, this modernist château from the early 1900s was designed by a disciple of Antoni Gaudí. A Relais & Châteaux member. (pool)
Mas Falgarona (1 night): Owners Brigitta and Severino warmly welcome us into their renovated 15th-century stone farmhouse, tucked into the countryside between the Pyrenees and Costa Brava. (pool)
Mas de Torrent Hotel & Spa (2 nights): A beautifully restored 18th-century manor house with stylish rooms and historic country charm. A Relais & Châteaux member. (pool, spa, tennis)
Every Backroads trip is designed to appeal to a wide variety of
interests and fitness levels. We know your pace may vary from one
day to the next-and your traveling companion's may differ somewhat
from yours. So we present a range of mileage options, and each
day you decide exactly what and how much you want to do.
Routes For All Abilities
|Daily Route Options|
|Level 1||Level 2||Level 3||Level 4||Level 5|
|miles||feet gain||miles||feet gain||miles||feet gain||miles||feet gain||miles||feet gain|
* Includes a shuttle
2014 Dates & Pricing*
- 5/11-16 Price: $4798 pp dbl. occ., (+ $1180 for sgl. occ.)
- 5/25-30 Price: $4798 pp dbl. occ., (+ $1180 for sgl. occ.)
- 6/1-6 Price: $4598 pp dbl. occ., (+ $1180 for sgl. occ.)
- 6/22-27 Price: $4798 pp dbl. occ., (+ $1180 for sgl. occ.)
- 6/29-7/4 Price: $4498 pp dbl. occ., (+ $1180 for sgl. occ.)
- 7/6-11 Price: $4598 pp dbl. occ., (+ $1180 for sgl. occ.)
- 7/13-18 Price: $4298 pp dbl. occ., (+ $1180 for sgl. occ.)
- 7/20-25 Price: $4598 pp dbl. occ., (+ $1180 for sgl. occ.)
- 7/27-8/1 Price: $4498 pp dbl. occ., (+ $1180 for sgl. occ.)
- 8/10-15 Price: $4598 pp dbl. occ., (+ $1180 for sgl. occ.)
- 8/24-29 Price: $4298 pp dbl. occ., (+ $1180 for sgl. occ.)
- 9/7-12 Price: $4298 pp dbl. occ., (+ $1180 for sgl. occ.)
- 9/9-14 Price: $4498 pp dbl. occ., (+ $1180 for sgl. occ.)
- 9/14-19 Price: $4898 pp dbl. occ., (+ $1180 for sgl. occ.)
- 9/16-21 Price: $4298 pp dbl. occ., (+ $1180 for sgl. occ.)
- 9/21-26 Price: $4498 pp dbl. occ., (+ $1180 for sgl. occ.)
- 9/23-28 Price: $4098 pp dbl. occ., (+ $1180 for sgl. occ.)
- 9/28-10/3 Price: $4698 pp dbl. occ., (+ $1180 for sgl. occ.)
- 9/30-10/5 Price: $4298 pp dbl. occ., (+ $1180 for sgl. occ.)
- 10/5-10 Price: $4298 pp dbl. occ., (+ $1180 for sgl. occ.)
- 10/10-15 Price: $4298 pp dbl. occ., (+ $1180 for sgl. occ.)
- 10/12-17 Price: $4498 pp dbl. occ., (+ $1180 for sgl. occ.)
*Prices may change. Once you book your trip, your price is guaranteed.
Private Trips Options & Pricing
Gather your favorite people to share a Backroads adventure on a ready-to-book Private Trip - featuring all the legendary Backroads hallmarks from expert leaders to unforgettable activities.
You can pick from a large selection of dates for your group of 8 or more. Call us for date availability.
If your party has fewer than 8 guests, or if your preferred date is not available, we'll create a departure just for you.
Pricing for Private Trips
- 2 - 3 guests $6,398 pp dbl. occ.
- 4 - 5 guests $5,798 pp dbl. occ.
- 6 - 7 guests $5,398 pp dbl. occ.
- 8 - 9 guests $5,098 pp dbl. occ.
- 10 - 11 guests $4,598 pp dbl. occ.
- 12 or more guests $4,298 pp dbl. occ.
Guest Trip Reviews
I've only been on five Backroads trips, but this one has hit the top of my list as my most favorite!!! You have once again exceeded my expectations for a vacation!! The whole package is terrific. But the key, in my view, are the leaders. How do you SO consistently have the best people on the planet there to ensure the best vacations on the planet? I will enthusiastically recommend this Costa Brava trip to anyone who will listen. From mountains to sea, with gorgeous landscapes and villages between, not to mention starting in the beautiful and fascinating city of Barcelona. WOW!! Backroads, you've done it again.- Steamboat Springs, CO
I couldn't imagine any aspect of the trip that could have been improved. The itinerary was very carefully and thoughtfully tweaked from the advertised itinerary so that we had the best possible opportunities to enjoy the countryside and the culture and have an active vacation that very successfully balanced fun, local culture, delicious food and very successfully. The organization that went into planning and executing the trip was apparent only because the adventure experience seemed almost effortless to the participants. Quite an accomplishment! I came away with a great sense of enthusiasm for this fascinating and beautiful region of Spain and France and would recommend the experience to anyone who is interested in this type of traveling.
This was far and away the best trip we have taken... it exceeded all of our expectations. The trip was easy... all we had to do was wake up in the morning and the only real decision we had to make was what wine to drink with dinner. The various options were great for different days. When the meals and hotels are factored in, Backroads is a great value. The little things - such as covering the beers at the beach bar - were also appreciated.- Ann Arbor, MI
The itinerary you planned for this trip was an unforgettable combination of everything the region had to offer - from the coastal ride, to the hills and valleys, from small villages to interesting ancient towns. I was completely delighted.- Minneapolis, MN
The leaders were great, the scenery was great, the accommodations were great, the biking was great, the weather was great! It will be hard for you guys to beat this one!!- Arlington, VA
This was a terrific trip. The areas that we visited were far more interesting and scenic than I anticipated. The accommodations were all special, striking architecture with soaring spaces, evoking the past and, in some, defining the future. Both our leaders were among the best we have ever had. They were knowledgeable, helpful, patient, solved every problem, big or small, and best of all, they were great fun to be with.- Chicago, IL
The places you pick to stay are amazing. The trails we rode on were beautiful. The food was amazing, the side trips so well thought out. I can't say enough good things about Backroads. You thought of everything even before I was aware I needed it! So pleased to have been a part of it.
This was one of the best trips I have ever taken. Beautiful country and the people were so warm and friendly. The places we went gave a real genuine sense and feel for the culture and lifestyle of this unique area of the world. The leaders were all extremely talented, capable, and always ready to deal with any unexpected issues that came up. Just a great experience.
I can't say enough about Backroads from trip planning until the end (which is always a sad day for us). You want for NOTHING on a Backroads trip.