Yosemite Family Walking & Hiking Tour - 20s & Beyond
Yosemite Valley's Dramatic Half Dome & Waterfalls
Half Dome, El Capitan, Yosemite Falls—legendary landmarks in an epic park whose grandeur is almost overwhelming. Marvel at soaring granite cliffs that were once likened to Gothic cathedrals. Hike to thundering waterfalls. Soak up sublime vistas. Behold towering sequoias. Welcome to Yosemite National Park: 761,266 acres of "wow!"
THIS ITINERARY: 6 days, 5 nights
ACCOMMODATIONS: Premiere Hotels
Start/End San Francisco
Start/End locations may vary. Do not book flights until your trip details are confirmed.
- Experience spectacular hikes to alpine meadows, waterfalls and jaw-dropping panoramas
- Gaze skyward on a walk through a grove of giant sequoias, Yosemite's ancient trees
- Explore the endless trails of Tuolumne Meadows, a glacier-carved area over two miles long
- Discover the impressive rock formations for which Yosemite is known, including world-famous Half Dome
6 Days Premiere Hotels
Walk amid an awe-inspiring grove of giant sequoias, Yosemite's imposing ancient trees—some estimated to be 1,800 years old, give or take a few centuries | What's your pleasure today? Perhaps you'll be up for a swim or a spa treatment at our hotel, cradled by the pines of Sierra National Forest.
A comfortable mountain resort near Yosemite's South Gate with plentiful amenities and panoramic forest views. (pool, spa)
Set out on foot from Glacier Point, savoring the scent of ponderosa and cedar, and taking in views of Yosemite Valley, Half Dome and the Sierra Nevada | Climb to the top of immense granite-faced Sentinel Dome | As you hike to the historic Majestic Yosemite Hotel (formerly known as the Ahwahnee), feel dwarfed by the vertical cliff walls looming above you | Glean a treasure trove of Yosemite Valley secrets from a local naturalist | The valley is yours to explore however you wish—hike to Lower Yosemite Falls or pay a visit to the Ansel Adams Gallery.
A National Historic Landmark, this iconic hotel features elaborate stained-glass windows, original Miwok Indian arts and crafts, Oriental rugs and Shaker-style furnishings. (pool)
Get to know sprawling Tuolumne Meadows, with endless hiking trails, glorious high-country scenery and a profusion of summer wildflowers | Delight in the range of amenities at Yosemite’s newest lodge | Explore Hetch Hetchy, an enchanting valley where natural and human histories intermingle | Cap off the week with a hike alongside the South Fork of the Tuolumne River to delicate Carlon Falls.
Set on 20 wooded acres at the doorstep to Yosemite National Park, this new lodge offers an ideal blend of contemporary sophistication and rustic warmth. (pool)
The earlier you book, the more choice you'll have and the lower your price. And you can always change your mind — you won't be charged to transfer to a different trip before your final payment is due. View cancellation policy
Click on dates for pricing, itinerary variations and to book your trip. Price is per person, double occupancy.
Activity Level: 1-4
Every Backroads trip is designed to appeal to a wide variety of interests and fitness levels. Several routes and a range of levels are offered each day so you can choose how much or how little activity you want to do. Learn more about how we determine activity levels.
The terrain on this trip includes well-maintained trails that vary from level to hilly and include substantial elevation gains and losses on longer options. Most activities take place at elevations of 5,000–9,000 feet, which can make the routes feel more challenging than the mileage may suggest.
Daily Route Options
- All breakfasts, 6 lunches, 4 dinners
- Expertise and services of our experienced Trip Leaders
- Snacks and beverages between meals
- Additional guides and experts from the region on many trips
- Van shuttles to support a variety of route options
- Comprehensive Travel Planner with detailed pre-trip information
- Private guided tours at museums, historic sites, wineries and other select attractions as noted in the Travel Planner
- All gratuities at hotels and restaurants
- Special events, including wine tastings and other select attractions as mentioned in the Travel Planner
- On biking and multi-adventure trips, use of fully equipped Backroads titanium bike plus helmet and accessories
- Trailercycles, carriers, and kid-sized helmets for Family Trips
- Equipment and experienced guides for kayaking, rafting, snorkeling, sailing and canoeing as described
- Park and other entry fees
- Fares for trains, ferries and other modes of travel as listed in the Travel Planner
- Select coach transfers
- Baggage transfers and porterage
We want to make sure you're on the right trip and that you have the best experience possible. Every Backroads trip is unique and this one is no exception.
We know you signed up for an active vacation, so why would you want to spend time sitting in a van? The truth is, we do spend more time shuttling on this trip than we do on many other Backroads trips, but that's because we're willing to go the distance to bring you the very best of Yosemite's natural wonders. Of course, we could cut out some shuttle time by only exploring one corner of the park, but how could we possibly choose which experiences to sacrifice? Rest assured that we have planned our itinerary to make the most of this vast and spectacular national park.
The Ahwahneel is a historical treasure and by far the best place to stay in the Yosemite Valley. Its location within Yosemite National Park makes it an ideal base for exploring the valley's many sights, but also means it is run by the national park and subject to park regulations and oversight. Similar to many national park lodges, service at The Ahwahnee can seem slow and casual when compared with the hospitality found on other Backroads trips.
According to local COVID-19 regulations, national park lodge meals this season may be to-go style and outdoors. Chilly mornings and evenings are not unusual, so please come prepared with plenty of layers. Of course, you are welcome to take any meals back to your room. We recognize that this will not be a typical Backroads dining experience; we are working hard behind the scenes to provide an excellent trip experience while following all regional restrictions and guidelines. Please note that regulations are subject to change, and we will take advantage accordingly.