Napa Valley & Sonoma Active Culinary Walking & Hiking Tour
Vineyards & Farm-to-Table Delights
From oak-studded mountains to vineyard-laced hills. From exhilarating hikes to exclusive tastings of wine, cheese and olive oil. Experience a delicious slice of the place we call the Wine Country, as seen through the eyes of local vintners, chefs and artisans. A memorable epicurean experience awaits. Enjoy every taste!
THIS ITINERARY: 5 days, 4 nights
ACCOMMODATIONS: Premiere Hotels
Start/End San Francisco
Start/End locations may vary. Do not book flights until your trip details are confirmed.
- Taste the valley's best vintages, connect with local winemakers and see a locally-inspired cooking demonstration
- Stroll (and sample!) in the famed The French Laundry's idyllic garden, where Thomas Keller draws inspiration for his culinary creations
- Enjoy seasonal produce, a multitude of cheeses, fresh-baked breads, olive oil, honey... the local bounty is virtually endless
- Hike among towering long-lived coastal redwoods that stand as a testament to the wonders of the natural world
5 Days Premiere Hotels
Wind through an oak- and manzanita-covered hillside, landing at a spectacular lookout with sweeping views of Sonoma Valley | Stroll past historic Mission San Francisco Solano and gather for lunch in downtown's historic Sonoma Square | Splurge at one of Sonoma Plaza's shops or wine-tasting rooms | Unwind in healing mineral waters during a Bathing Ritual treatment at the Fairmont's well-known spa.
A posh 1920s replica of a California mission renowned for its natural mineral hot springs. (pool, spa)
Hike in the rugged Mayacamas Mountains through several ecosystems, from oak woodland to conifer forest | Enjoy stellar views during a hillside picnic and wine tasting | Learn about the craft of olive oil making with a tasting from a local expert | Explore the quaint town of Healdsburg and relax at the hotel, grabbing a cocktail at the hotel's farm-to-bar concept.
A hip eco-friendly hotel praised by the New York Times for its living roof, solar heating and cool aesthetic. (pool)
Ancient coastal redwoods provide a majestic backdrop for our hike in Armstrong Redwoods State Reserve | Savor a fresh lunch at an organic farm | Play bocce ball or enjoy a glass of rosé before we dine in style at Solbar restaurant in Calistoga. | Hike along a historic mining trail in the shadow of dramatic lava pinnacles | Borrow a bike from our hotel and check out Calistoga's boutiques and galleries | Visit the majestic Culinary Institute of America at Greystone for cooking demonstration | Tour the garden at The French Laundry, Thomas Keller's landmark restaurant, followed by lunch at one of his acclaimed bistros.
Set on 22 acres surrounded by the Mayacamas and Palisades Mountains, Solage offers a blend of urban chic and Wine Country casual. Pamper yourself at Spa Solage, followed by a delicious meal at Solbar. Travel + Leisure World's Best. (pool, spa)
The earlier you book, the more choice you'll have and the lower your price. And you can always change your mind — you won't be charged to transfer to a different trip before your final payment is due. View cancellation policy
SMALL GROUP? TRY RENDEZVOUS | An extra leader and van for even more flexibility | Call us to book your Rendezvous.
Click on dates for pricing, itinerary variations and to book your trip. Price is per person, double occupancy.
Activity Level: 1-3
Every Backroads trip is designed to appeal to a wide variety of interests and fitness levels. We know your pace may vary from one day to the next—and your traveling companion's may differ somewhat from yours. So we present a range of mileage options, and each day you decide exactly what and how much you want to do. LEARN MORE.
Note: The terrain on this trip includes rolling hills and forest paths, and vineyard, farm and historic site walks, with occasional rocky and uneven sections.
- All breakfasts, 3 dinners, 4 lunches
- Expertise and services of our experienced Trip Leaders
- Snacks and beverages between meals
- Additional guides and experts from the region on many trips
- Van shuttles to support a variety of route options
- Comprehensive Travel Planner with detailed pre-trip information
- Private guided tours at museums, historic sites, wineries and other select attractions as noted in the Travel Planner
- All gratuities at hotels and restaurants
- Special events, including wine tastings and other select attractions as mentioned in the Travel Planner
- On biking and multi-adventure trips, use of fully equipped Backroads titanium bike plus helmet and accessories
- Trailercycles, carriers, and kid-sized helmets for Family Trips
- Equipment and experienced guides for kayaking, rafting, snorkeling, sailing and canoeing as described
- Park and other entry fees
- Fares for trains, ferries and other modes of travel as listed in the Travel Planner
- Select coach transfers
- Baggage transfers and porterage