Washington's San Juan Islands & Olympic Peninsula Family Walking & Hiking Tour - 20s & Beyond
Orcas Island & Olympic National Park
Each moment seems better than the last. The sight of a nesting bald eagle. Spectacular views of the Strait of Juan de Fuca and, on a clear day, a glimpse of Mount Rainier. Walking in an Eden of ferns and old-growth trees. Majestic Sol Duc Falls and mile-high Hurricane Ridge. Most family vacations have one moment you remember forever. This hiking tour in the San Juans and Olympic National Park has those moments daily.
THIS ITINERARY: 6 days, 5 nights
ACCOMMODATIONS: Premiere & Casual Hotels*
Washington & British Columbia
Start/End locations may vary. Do not book flights until your trip details are confirmed.
- Climb to the summit of Mount Constitution, the highest point on Orcas Island, for stunning mountain and island views
- Vacation at welcoming hotels, including a lodge set among giant hemlock and fir trees on the shore of Lake Crescent
- Explore Olympic National Park, where jagged snowcapped peaks frame green landscapes full of lakes and waterfalls
- Hike across a prairie expanse at American Camp, where eagles and hawks reel, rabbits forage and red foxes hunt at sunset
6 Days Premiere & Casual Hotels*
Hike with your family through American Camp in San Juan Island National Historical Park | Head out on foot across a prairie and spot wildlife as you make your way to South Beach's rocky expanse | From the summit of Mount Constitution, admire the spectacular Pacific Northwest panorama of shimmering water, evergreen-clad isles and snowcapped Mount Baker | Explore Moran State Park, a nature-lover's paradise | On San Juan Island, discover pedestrian-friendly Roche Harbor and our historic waterfront hotel.
Located in the charming waterfront hamlet of Roche Harbor, this popular island destination has hosted guests since 1886, when it was part of a lime works and company town. (pool)
Climb to the top of Young Hill where (weather permitting) Haro Strait, Vancouver Island and the Olympic Mountains are all within view | Ferry between islands in the idyllic San Juan archipelago | Wander along Langley's charming waterfront and relax post-hike at our retreat on peaceful Whidbey Island.
Sensational views of the Saratoga Passage and refined décor are just some of this elegant waterfront inn's many charms.
Ferry across the Strait of Juan de Fuca and hike to Marymere Falls | Hike in Olympic National Park, where temperate forest, alpine lakes and waterfalls meet | Meander through an old-growth forest to awe-inspiring Sol Duc Falls | Watch the sunset with your family from the front porch of our lodge | Follow a trail along stunning Hurricane Ridge, winding through flower-filled meadows that look onto Mount Olympus, the Bailey Range and the San Juan Islands—the entire trip is visible from this amazing lookout point! | As we ferry back to Seattle, views of the city's skyline and Mount Rainier cap off this hiking adventure.
Set on the shore of deep-blue Lake Crescent, this national park lodge treats us to an enormous stone fireplace and a front porch ideal for watching sunsets.
The earlier you book, the more choice you'll have and the lower your price. And you can always change your mind — you won't be charged to transfer to a different trip before your final payment is due. View cancellation policy
Click on dates for pricing, itinerary variations and to book your trip. Price is per person, double occupancy.
Activity Level: 1-3
Every Backroads trip is designed to appeal to a wide variety of interests and fitness levels. Several routes and a range of levels are offered each day so you can choose how much or how little activity you want to do. Learn more about how we determine activity levels.
The terrain on this trip includes rugged mountain trails, coastal and lowland forest paths, and garden walks.
Daily Route Options
- All breakfasts, 5 dinners, 4 lunches
- Expertise and services of our experienced Trip Leaders
- Snacks and beverages between meals
- Additional guides and experts from the region on many trips
- Van shuttles to support a variety of route options
- Comprehensive Travel Planner with detailed pre-trip information
- Private guided tours at museums, historic sites, wineries and other select attractions as noted in the Travel Planner
- All gratuities at hotels and restaurants
- Special events, including wine tastings and other select attractions as mentioned in the Travel Planner
- On biking and multi-adventure trips, use of fully equipped Backroads titanium bike plus helmet and accessories
- Trailercycles, carriers, and kid-sized helmets for Family Trips
- Equipment and experienced guides for kayaking, rafting, snorkeling, sailing and canoeing as described
- Park and other entry fees
- Fares for trains, ferries and other modes of travel as listed in the Travel Planner
- Select coach transfers
- Baggage transfers and porterage
We want to make sure you're on the right trip and that you have the best experience possible. Every Backroads trip is unique and this one is no exception.
Lake Crescent Lodge in Olympic National Park is a fairly rustic national park lodge that reflects its natural surroundings. While this historic hotel offers simpler accommodations than the typical Backroads property, it's been selected because of its unparalleled access to the best hiking in the region. Please note that the guest rooms are basic and are not equipped with televisions or air-conditioning. Generally speaking, service in the national parks can seem laid-back when compared with the high standards of service found on other Backroads trips.
To bring you to our favorite parts of the San Juan Islands and the Olympic Peninsula, we make liberal use of ferry transfers on this trip. You'll be on board a ferry for many of the days on this trip as we island-hop like the locals do. Consider this an opportunity to view some spectacular marine scenery (and occasional wildlife!) while resting your legs in preparation for your next activity.