Washington's San Juan Islands & Olympic National Park Family Walking & Hiking Tour - 20s & Beyond
Orcas Island, Victoria & Olympic Peninsula
Each moment seems better than the last. The sight of a nesting bald eagle. Experiencing Victoria, the provincial capital of British Columbia. Hiking in an Eden of ferns and old-growth trees. Majestic Sol Duc Falls and mile-high Hurricane Ridge. Most family vacations have one moment you remember forever. This trip has those moments daily.
THIS ITINERARY: 6 days, 5 nights
ACCOMMODATIONS: Premiere & Casual Hotels*
Washington & British Columbia
Start Anacortes / End Seattle
Start/End locations may vary. Do not book flights until your trip details are confirmed.
- Hike to the summit of Mount Constitution, the highest point on Orcas Island, for stunning mountain and island views
- Marvel over Victoria's colonial architecture and harborside charm on a guided historical walk with your family
- Examine the vibrant assortment of flowers at 55-acre Butchart Gardens, a Canadian National Historic site
- Explore Olympic National Park, where jagged snowcapped peaks frame green landscapes full of lakes and waterfalls
6 Days Premiere & Casual Hotels*
Hike across a prairie and spot wildlife as you make your way to South Beach's rocky expanse | From the summit of Mount Constitution, admire the spectacular panorama of shimmering water, evergreen-clad isles and snowcapped Mount Baker | Explore Moran State Park, a nature-lover's paradise | On San Juan Island, discover historic Friday Harbor and our stylish waterfront hotel.
Described by Andrew Harper as an "appealing contemporary island lodge affording exceptional views of the San Juan Channel."
Ferry between islands—and countries—in the idyllic San Juan archipelago | A hike on Mount Work offers striking views of Vancouver Island, the Olympic Mountains and the surrounding Gulf Islands | Savor a post-hike libation at our bayfront retreat.
Perched on a forested hillside with spectacular bay vistas, this chic boutique resort features a blend of West Coast and Asian styles. (pool, spa)
Get ready to explore Victoria and world-renowned Butchart Gardens, featuring 55 acres of exquisite flowers and plants | Join a historical walk of enchanting Victoria before our ferry ride across the Strait of Juan de Fuca and hike to Marymere Falls | Walk in Olympic National Park, where temperate forest, alpine lakes and waterfalls meet | Meander through an old-growth forest to awe-inspiring Sol Duc Falls | Watch the sunset with your family from the front porch of our lodge | Hike stunning Hurricane Ridge, winding through flower-filled meadows that look onto Mount Olympus, the Bailey Range and the San Juan Islands—the entire trip is visible from this amazing lookout point! | As we ferry back to Seattle, views of the city's skyline and Mount Rainier cap off the trip.
Set on the shore of deep-blue Lake Crescent, this national park lodge treats us to an enormous stone fireplace and a front porch ideal for watching sunsets.
The earlier you book, the more choice you'll have and the lower your price. And you can always change your mind — you won't be charged to transfer to a different trip before your final payment is due. View cancellation policy
Click on dates for pricing, itinerary variations and to book your trip. Price is per person, double occupancy.
Activity Level: 1-3
Every Backroads trip is designed to appeal to a wide variety of interests and fitness levels. We know your pace may vary from one day to the next—and your traveling companion's may differ somewhat from yours. So we present a range of mileage options, and each day you decide exactly what and how much you want to do. LEARN MORE.
Note: The terrain on this trip includes rugged mountain trails, coastal and lowland forest paths, and garden walks.
- All breakfasts, 5 dinners, 4 lunches
- Expertise and services of our experienced Trip Leaders
- Snacks and beverages between meals
- Additional guides and experts from the region on many trips
- Van shuttles to support a variety of route options
- Comprehensive Travel Planner with detailed pre-trip information
- Private guided tours at museums, historic sites, wineries and other select attractions as noted in the Travel Planner
- All gratuities at hotels and restaurants
- Special events, including wine tastings and other select attractions as mentioned in the Travel Planner
- On biking and multi-adventure trips, use of fully equipped Backroads titanium bike plus helmet and accessories
- Trailercycles, carriers, and kid-sized helmets for Family Trips
- Equipment and experienced guides for kayaking, rafting, snorkeling, sailing and canoeing as described
- Park and other entry fees
- Fares for trains, ferries and other modes of travel as listed in the Travel Planner
- Select coach transfers
- Baggage transfers and porterage
We want to make sure you're on the right trip and that you have the best experience possible. Every Backroads trip is unique and this one is no exception.
Lake Crescent Lodge in Olympic National Park is a fairly rustic national park lodge that reflects its natural surroundings. While this historic hotel offers simpler accommodations than the typical Backroads property, it's been selected because of its unparalleled access to the best hiking in the region. Please note that the guest rooms are basic and are not equipped with televisions or air-conditioning. Generally speaking, service in the national parks can seem laid-back when compared with the high standards of service found on other Backroads trips.
To bring you to our favorite parts of Puget Sound and the Olympic Peninsula, we make liberal use of ferry transfers on this trip. You'll be on board a ferry for many of the days on this trip as we island-hop like the locals do. Consider this an opportunity to view some spectacular marine scenery (and occasional wildlife!) while resting your legs in preparation for your next hike.