Israel & Jordan Family Walking & Hiking Tour - 20s & Beyond
Amman to Jerusalem - Tracing Lawrence of Arabia
A dazzling fusion of past and present, this land will enchant you and your family. Amid a tableau of sandstone and sea, follow in the footsteps of Bedouins across the crimson sands of Wadi Rum desert. Discover majestic ancient sites like Petra and Masada from a uniquely personal perspective. And stroll the streets of Jerusalem, soaking up a vibrant melange of world cultures.
THIS ITINERARY: 8 days, 7 nights
ACCOMMODATIONS: Premiere & Casual Hotels*
Jordan & Israel
Start Amman / End Jerusalem
Start/End locations may vary. Do not book flights until your trip details are confirmed.
- Delve into the rich history of this magical region as you and your family follow in the footsteps of Lawrence of Arabia
- Savor a captivating mix of global and local flavors including highlights of modern Middle Eastern cuisine
- Explore the World Heritage site of Petra, where dramatic temples and tombs are carved into crimson rock walls
- Walk with your family in Israel and Jordan through an ancient landscape ruled by prophets, kings and crusaders
8 Days Premiere & Casual Hotels*
Start in Amman and then venture to the Byzantine city of Madaba, known for its breathtaking mosaics | Journey beyond the borders of Wadi Musa and into a vast expanse of desert | Enter the World Heritage Site of Petra and explore the ruins on hiking trails less traveled | Relish typical Jordanian cuisine in a cooking class and dine on local specialties.
Located at the entrance to the historic site of Petra, this full-service resort offers unparalleled access to the area and a range of dining options, including a lovely roof garden. (pool)
Families experience the culture of nomadic tribes | Marvel at the stunning expanse of Wadi Rum desert vistas on foot | Gaze at the desert's starry sky from your "Martian Dome" tent at Sun City Camp | Share a traditional Bedouin-style earthen-oven meal.
Set on a desertscape straight out of a sci-fi movie set, this casual hotel offers an unforgettable "glamping" experience in spacious tents with all amenities.
Immerse yourself in the quiet desert wilderness like a Bedouin—on the back of a camel | Explore the desert outpost of Mitzpe Ramon, an iconic crater that offers numerous hiking options, with your family | Visit a watering hole named for Lawrence of Arabia | Relax at the Beresheet Hotel, considered one of the most beautiful in the area, and renowned for its cuisine and incredible views of Mitzpe Ramon.
Offering breathtaking desert views, this luxury hotel features a full spa, fine dining and a spectacular infinity swimming pool overlooking the Ramon crater. (pool, spa)
At the Western Entrance to the Masada historic site, savor a picnic lunch with your family | View Masada from a perspective not many people get to experience | Journey to the West Bank to hike amid the splendors of the Wadi Qelt valley, home to a unique variety of flora and fauna, and stretching from Jerusalem into the Jordan River near Jericho and the Dead Sea | Walk past remnants of a Roman-era aqueduct to breathtaking Saint George's Monastery, built directly into the towering cliffside | Share a Shabbat dinner prepared by a local family in their home | Explore Jerusalem and the Old City's Jewish, Christian and Muslim sites, including an unforgettable visit to the Temple Mount | Taste traditional dishes like hummus and falafel.
Opened in the German Colony of Jerusalem in 2017, this luxurious complex incorporates 19th century Templar buildings and features contemporary art throughout. (pool, spa)
The earlier you book, the more choice you'll have and the lower your price. And you can always change your mind — you won't be charged to transfer to a different trip before your final payment is due. View cancellation policy
Click on dates for pricing, itinerary variations and to book your trip. Price is per person, double occupancy.
Activity Level: 1-3
Every Backroads trip is designed to appeal to a wide variety of interests and fitness levels. We know your pace may vary from one day to the next—and your traveling companion's may differ somewhat from yours. So we present a range of mileage options, and each day you decide exactly what and how much you want to do. LEARN MORE.
- All breakfasts, 7 dinners, 6 lunches
- Expertise and services of our experienced Trip Leaders
- Snacks and beverages between meals
- Additional guides and experts from the region on many trips
- Van shuttles to support a variety of route options
- Comprehensive Travel Planner with detailed pre-trip information
- Private guided tours at museums, historic sites, wineries and other select attractions as noted in the Travel Planner
- All gratuities at hotels and restaurants
- Special events, including wine tastings and other select attractions as mentioned in the Travel Planner
- On biking and multi-adventure trips, use of fully equipped Backroads titanium bike plus helmet and accessories
- Trailercycles, carriers, and kid-sized helmets for Family Trips
- Equipment and experienced guides for kayaking, rafting, snorkeling, sailing and canoeing as described
- Park and other entry fees
- Fares for trains, ferries and other modes of travel as listed in the Travel Planner
- Select coach transfers
- Baggage transfers and porterage
We want to make sure you're on the right trip and that you have the best experience possible. Every Backroads trip is unique and this one is no exception.
On this trip we have the pleasure of traveling between Jordan and Israel. On all our trips we make every effort to cross international borders with as few obstacles and inconveniences as possible. Often we are able to create a seamless experience. But even with all the organization and effort of our Trip Leaders, border crossings can take time. We ask for your patience, knowing we will do everything in our power to make this experience as smooth and enjoyable as possible.
In order to bring you the full splendor of this region, we spend more time shuttling on this trip than on many other Backroads trips.
Although Jordan is a developing international travel destination, it is not yet quite on a par in terms of service and room cleanliness when compared to other destinations where Backroads offers trips. Travelers in Jordan might also notice the Jordanians smoke cigarettes in most public places (including hotel rooms and common areas). We recommend that women dress modestly to avoid attracting unwanted attention.
Our accommodations on this trip are generally luxurious and offer top-notch amenities. We've also included one night at Sun City Camp, which is a Casual Hotel that offers access to incredible activities and phenomenal views. We hope you'll appreciate its stunning location and unique charm as much as we do.