Iceland Family Walking & Hiking Tour - Older Teens & 20s
Ice Caves, Waterfalls & Geothermal Pools
Iceland is different. Untamed. Dramatic. Wild. Jagged volcanoes topped with glistening white glaciers. Milky geothermal lagoons, bubbling mud pots and vents of steam rising out of otherworldly terrain. Rugged coastal cliffs and black-sand beaches reflect the midnight sun. Discover this surreal cinematic landscape with your family.
THIS ITINERARY: 6 days, 5 nights
ACCOMMODATIONS: Premiere Hotels
Special Kids Prices
Start/End locations may vary. Do not book flights until your trip details are confirmed.
- Jump between two continents at Thingvellir National Park, a geologic marvel and the only World Heritage site on the Icelandic mainland
- Explore the Snæfellsjökull Peninsula, a unparalleled wonderland of volcanic peaks, lava flows, sheer cliffs, beaches and sea stacks
- Discover remote and marvelous Húsafell, a hidden gem of untouched beauty with magnificent ravines and the impressive Langifoss waterfall
- Bask in the magical and ethereal glow of the Midnight Sun, one of the most alluring natural spectacles on Earth
6 Days Premiere Hotels
Hike to a steaming valley and be awed by the aqua hot pools in this extraordinary alpine setting | Journey through the Hengill geothermal area and witness lava fields crisscrossed with warm tributaries and dotted with bubbling hot mud pots | Slip into our secluded hotel's geothermal pool.
This sleek, modern and award-winning hotel sits amid geothermal pools, near the shore of Lake Thingvallavatn. (pool)
Explore remarkable Thingvellir National Park, where tectonic plates come together in a unique way | Hike near Hvalfjördur, a majestic fjord flanked by volcanic mountains and verdant valleys | Witness thundering Glymur Waterfall | Our elegant Nordic oasis is surrounded by breathtaking scenery and is carbon neutral | Walk through the magnificent landscape near Húsafell | Trek through unique forests, lava formations and deep ravines | Take in the sweeping views of the mighty Langjökull Glacier | Venture through the otherworldly shimmering blue-ice tunnels and caves beneath Iceland's second-largest glacier.
Surrounded by some of Iceland's most iconic scenery, 100 percent of this green hotel's energy comes from hydroelectricity and geothermally heated springs. (pool)
Walk the rim of Grábrók crater | Discover the magical Snæfellsnes Peninsula with its beautiful moss-covered mountains and sparkling waterfalls—seen in Game of Thrones! | Hike between jagged cliffs, lava outcrops, sea stacks, black-sand beaches and the ocean as you explore the stunning coastline near Hellnar and Arnastapi | If it's a clear day, you can even view the Snæfellsjökull Glacier | Perhaps your family is up for an optional morning horseback excursion through pastures and by the sea.
This simple yet sophisticated hotel is set at the edge of Snæfellsjökull National Park and boasts expansive views of the mountains, sprawling lava fields and black-sand beaches.
The earlier you book, the more choice you'll have and the lower your price. And you can always change your mind — you won't be charged to transfer to a different trip before your final payment is due. View cancellation policy
Click on dates for pricing, itinerary variations and to book your trip. Price is per person, double occupancy.
Activity Level: 1-3
Every Backroads trip is designed to appeal to a wide variety of interests and fitness levels. We know your pace may vary from one day to the next—and your traveling companion's may differ somewhat from yours. So we present a range of mileage options, and each day you decide exactly what and how much you want to do. LEARN MORE.
Note: The terrain on this trip includes a mix of well-maintained paths, rolling headland walks and rugged mountain trails. Liberal van shuttling is incorporated into the itinerary in order to access the best hiking routes.
- All breakfasts, 6 lunches, 5 dinners
- Expertise and services of our experienced Trip Leaders
- Snacks and beverages between meals
- Additional guides and experts from the region on many trips
- Van shuttles to support a variety of route options
- Comprehensive Travel Planner with detailed pre-trip information
- Private guided tours at museums, historic sites, wineries and other select attractions as noted in the Travel Planner
- All gratuities at hotels and restaurants
- Special events, including wine tastings and other select attractions as mentioned in the Travel Planner
- On biking and multi-adventure trips, use of fully equipped Backroads titanium bike plus helmet and accessories
- Trailercycles, carriers, and kid-sized helmets for Family Trips
- Equipment and experienced guides for kayaking, rafting, snorkeling, sailing and canoeing as described
- Park and other entry fees
- Fares for trains, ferries and other modes of travel as listed in the Travel Planner
- Select coach transfers
- Baggage transfers and porterage
We want to make sure you're on the right trip and that you have the best experience possible. Every Backroads trip is unique and this one is no exception.
The combination of Iceland's prolific waterfalls, vast ice fields, vibrant green landscape and warm ocean currents makes this island like no other place in the world. The island's climate can be as surprising as its terrain, with weather patterns and microclimates that can bring sun, wind, fog, sleet, rain and snow all in the same day (or hour!). Please be sure to bring warm layers and waterproof gear for every day of the trip. In addition, the fluctuating weather might result in mid-trip itinerary changes, but rest assured your Backroads Leaders are always prepared to make necessary adjustments to ensure a great trip while keeping safety the top priority.
Luxury Iceland style usually means modern, simple and nicely appointed buildings that prioritize location and views over plush amenities or landscaping. Please note that, due to the remoteness of our properties, dinners tend toward a local buffet-style affair and limited-choice menus, which is simply a part of the cultural experience of Iceland.