Banff to Yoho Family Walking & Hiking Tour - Older Teens & 20s
Plain of Six Glaciers to Emerald Lake
The magnitude of nature's beauty here is beyond imagination. It's a place where your family comes face to face with a glacier, walks to the turquoise waters of Lake Louise and Sherbrooke Lake, and witnesses crashing waterfalls. Where you encounter dazzling snowcapped peaks and diverse wildlife. Experience it all on this Canadian Rockies journey in Banff, Kootenay and Yoho National Parks.
THIS ITINERARY: 6 days, 5 nights
ACCOMMODATIONS: Casual & Casual Plus Hotels
Special Kids Prices
Start/End locations may vary. Do not book flights until your trip details are confirmed.
- Explore three Canadian national parks packed with lush landscapes, magnificent vistas and stunning lakes
- Hike through alpine trails and wildflower-laden meadows to witness towering peaks and sparkling glaciers and waterfalls
- Admire the World Heritage site of Lake Louise and hike to famous Plain of Six Glaciers Teahouse for views of Mount Victoria
- Trek through moss-draped forests of spruce, fir and cedar and look for hoaray marmots, pikas and mountain goats as you trek
6 Days Casual & Casual Plus Hotels
Begin the family fun as we travel from Banff through the Bow Valley to Kootenay National Park | View a vast wildfire burn area where hardy pink fireweed and yellow columbine herald signs of new growth | Venture into a hanging valley for a view of stunning Stanley Glacier, waterfalls and sheer limestone cliffs | Follow a high alpine trail into flower-filled meadows | Trek into Mount Assiniboine Provincial Park, named for its towering pyramid-shaped peak | Take in vistas from Quartz Ridge—a wild and remote place few get to visit | Panoramic views of towering mountains, turquoise lakes and picturesque islets await on our climb to Monarch Viewpoint.
A timbered lodge on the gentle slopes of Tunnel Mountain with fieldstone fireplaces in each cozy guest room.
Hike the classic route from world-renowned Lake Louise to the historic Plain of Six Glaciers Teahouse | Keep an eye out for the mountain goats, pikas and hoary marmots that make their homes in the boulder fields and savor spectacular views of Lake Louise unfolding behind you | Gather the family and put up your feet at our rustic mountain lodge.
This rustic and simple mountain retreat offers an atmosphere of secluded tranquility on the banks of Bow Lake.
Walk through blooming meadows and evergreen forests to stunning views of Daly Glacier and Yoho Valley | Stand in awe before Canada's second-highest waterfall, Takakkaw Falls | Walk along the shore of pristine Emerald Lake | Soak in an outdoor hot tub at our lodge perched on Emerald Lake’s shore | Crossing through forest and shrubbery, discover beautiful Emerald Basin—a natural amphitheater set within the rugged cliffs of the President Range | For your final family adventure, hike through subalpine forests carpeted with buttercups to Sherbrooke Lake, the largest backcountry glacial lake in Yoho National Park.
A secluded turn-of-the-century lodge, built of hand-hewn timber and featuring simple cabins nestled in the woods above a spectacular tree-rimmed glacial lake.
The earlier you book, the more choice you'll have and the lower your price. And you can always change your mind — you won't be charged to transfer to a different trip before your final payment is due. View cancellation policy
Click on dates for pricing, itinerary variations and to book your trip. Price is per person, double occupancy.
Activity Level: 2-4
Every Backroads trip is designed to appeal to a wide variety of interests and fitness levels. Several routes and a range of levels are offered each day so you can choose how much or how little activity you want to do. Learn more about how we determine activity levels.
The terrain on this trip includes rugged mountain trails and well-maintained paths, with some rocky sections and steep descents. Most activities on this trip take place at elevations of 4,000–6,800 feet, which can make the routes feel more challenging than the mileage may suggest.
Daily Route Options
- All breakfasts, 6 lunches, 4 dinners
- Expertise and services of our experienced Trip Leaders
- Snacks and beverages between meals
- Additional guides and experts from the region on many trips
- Van shuttles to support a variety of route options
- Comprehensive Travel Planner with detailed pre-trip information
- Private guided tours at museums, historic sites, wineries and other select attractions as noted in the Travel Planner
- All gratuities at hotels and restaurants
- Special events, including wine tastings and other select attractions as mentioned in the Travel Planner
- On biking and multi-adventure trips, use of fully equipped Backroads titanium bike plus helmet and accessories
- Trailercycles, carriers, and kid-sized helmets for Family Trips
- Equipment and experienced guides for kayaking, rafting, snorkeling, sailing and canoeing as described
- Park and other entry fees
- Fares for trains, ferries and other modes of travel as listed in the Travel Planner
- Select coach transfers
- Baggage transfers and porterage
We want to make sure you're on the right trip and that you have the best experience possible. Every Backroads trip is unique and this one is no exception.
This trip includes the historic Emerald Lake Lodge and Num-Ti-Jah-Lodge, where guest rooms are clean and comfortable, but simpler than the typical Backroads standard. We've chosen these properties because of their proximity to our favorite routes and the fantastic views. These hotels have limited Wi-Fi and are outside of cell phone range and the guest rooms are not typically equipped with televisions, hair dryers or air-conditioning. Num-Ti-Jah Lodge does not have in-room phones.