California's Yosemite Family Multi-Adventure Tour - Teens & Kids
National Park's Giant Sequoias & Iconic Half Dome
Half Dome. El Capitan. Bridalveil Fall. You probably know the names. Maybe you even had an Ansel Adams poster hanging in your college dorm. But have you really explored them? Because the thing is, if you're going to hang pictures of Yosemite on your walls, wouldn't it be great if they had your family in them? Well, here's your chance.
THIS ITINERARY: 6 days, 5 nights
ACCOMMODATIONS: Premiere & Casual Hotels*
Special Kids Prices
Start/End San Francisco
Start/End locations may vary. Do not book flights until your trip details are confirmed.
- Hike on top of glaciated domes to gain views of the Sierras as far as the eye can see
- Connect with a local naturalist and discover the flora, fauna and geologic history of the majestic Yosemite Valley
- Walk amid the giant sequoias, Yosemite's ancient trees, many of which are thousands of years old
- Bike your way past Yosemite's iconic features, including Half Dome, Royal Arches and Clouds Rest
6 Days Premiere & Casual Hotels*
Walk in the Mariposa Grove of Giant Sequoias, Yosemite's largest stand of these ancient trees | One noteworthy resident is the Grizzly Giant, with a base diameter of 30 feet! | In the mood for some R&R? Kick back at the lodge, lounge by the pool or perhaps indulge at the spa.
A comfortable mountain resort near Yosemite's South Gate with plentiful amenities and panoramic forest views. (pool, spa)
Set out on foot from Glacier Point, savoring the scent of ponderosa and cedar, and taking in views of Yosemite Valley, Half Dome and the Sierra Nevada | Climb to the top of immense granite-faced Sentinel Dome | Grown-ups glean secrets of Yosemite Valley from a local naturalist while youngsters take a kid-friendly rock-climbing class on world-famous granite walls | Spin along the valley bike path, which offers unforgettable views of iconic Half Dome, Royal Arches and Clouds Rest | Relax at The Ahwahnee—the best way to stay in the valley!
A National Historic Landmark, this iconic hotel features elaborate stained-glass windows, original Miwok Indian arts and crafts, Oriental rugs and Shaker-style furnishings. (pool)
Alpine lakes, rushing rivers and deep canyons provide the backdrop to our hikes today in Tuolumne Meadows | Circumnavigate the base of Lembert Dome, a granite rock formation 800 feet high | Visit Hetch Hetchy, in the northwestern part of the park, where we hike to see Wapama Falls | Play bocce or relax under the stars in the saltwater pool or the hot tub | Cap off the week with a bike ride along the South Fork of the Tuolumne River to Rainbow Pools | Enjoy a refreshing dip in one of the many natural pools before we journey back to San Francisco.
Elegantly rustic and welcoming cabins nestled amid towering pines on the western border of Yosemite. (pool)
The earlier you book, the more choice you'll have and the lower your price. And you can always change your mind — you won't be charged to transfer to a different trip before your final payment is due. View cancellation policy
Click on dates for pricing, itinerary variations and to book your trip. Price is per person, double occupancy.
Activity Level: 1-3
Every Backroads trip is designed to appeal to a wide variety of interests and fitness levels. We know your pace may vary from one day to the next—and your traveling companion's may differ somewhat from yours. So we present a range of mileage options, and each day you decide exactly what and how much you want to do. LEARN MORE.
Note: The minimum age required for kids to ride their own bike on this trip is 7+
Available Bike Options
- All breakfasts, 5 dinners, 4 lunches
- Expertise and services of our experienced Trip Leaders
- Snacks and beverages between meals
- Additional guides and experts from the region on many trips
- Van shuttles to support a variety of route options
- Comprehensive Travel Planner with detailed pre-trip information
- Private guided tours at museums, historic sites, wineries and other select attractions as noted in the Travel Planner
- All gratuities at hotels and restaurants
- Special events, including wine tastings and other select attractions as mentioned in the Travel Planner
- On biking and multi-adventure trips, use of fully equipped Backroads titanium bike plus helmet and accessories
- Trailercycles, carriers, and kid-sized helmets for Family Trips
- Equipment and experienced guides for kayaking, rafting, snorkeling, sailing and canoeing as described
- Park and other entry fees
- Fares for trains, ferries and other modes of travel as listed in the Travel Planner
- Select coach transfers
- Baggage transfers and porterage
We want to make sure you're on the right trip and that you have the best experience possible. Every Backroads trip is unique and this one is no exception.
We know you signed up for an active vacation, so why would you want to spend time sitting in a van? The truth is, we do spend more time shuttling on this trip than we do on many other Backroads trips, but that's because we're willing to go the distance to bring you the very best of Yosemite's natural wonders. Of course, we could cut out some shuttle time by only exploring one corner of the park, but how could we possibly choose which experiences to sacrifice? Rest assured that we have planned our itinerary to make the most of this vast and spectacular national park.
The Ahwahnee is a historical treasure and by far the best place to stay in the Yosemite Valley. Its location within Yosemite National Park makes it an ideal base for exploring the valley's many sights, but also means it is run by the national park and subject to park regulations and oversight. Similar to many national park lodges, service at The Ahwahnee can seem slow and brusque compared to the normally high standards found on other Backroads trips.
Because of national park regulations, biking is limited on this trip and leaders are not allowed to offer full support for the ride in Yosemite Valley, but you will be supplied with maps, directions and locks for the ride, which is almost entirely on flat bike paths.