MAKE IT PRIVATE!
Base price now offered with only 6 guests for 2020 trips. LEARN MORE
Switzerland Family Multi-Adventure Tour - Older Teens & 20s
Alpine Wonders From Interlaken to Zermatt
The grass really is greener in Switzerland. Just ask the dairy cows grazing in the lush alpine meadows. Or simply see for yourself while hiking and biking with your family through spectacular Swiss landscapes encircled by snow-covered mountains and punctuated with sparkling lakes. From the idyllic peaks and valleys of the Bernese Oberland to Zermatt's iconic skyline, experience the best of Switzerland's mountain playgrounds.
ACCOMMODATIONS: Premiere Hotels
Start Kandersteg / End Zermatt
Start/End locations may vary. Do not book flights until your trip details are confirmed.
- Hike amid a striking alpine scene of glistening glaciers, rolling meadows and impossibly blue lakes
- Pedal and stroll through quintessential Swiss villages with flower-laden chalets and friendly denizens
- Gaze at natural highlights of the Alps from the iconic Matterhorn to the vast Gornergletscher Ice Field
- Indulge in Swiss delights including rich fondue and chocolate paired with delicious regional wines
Savor breathtaking alpine scenery as you commute the Swiss way: by chairlift! | Hike on a ridge above Lake Oeschinen, surrounded by limestone cliffs, snowy peaks and hanging ice | Cold beer and hot cocoa await at a traditional alpine hut.
A family-run alpine retreat surrounded by verdant forests and soaring snowcapped mountains. A Relais & Châteaux member. (pool, spa)
From cheery wooden chalets to milk cows adorned with brass bells, the scenery is quintessentially Swiss as you pedal through a serene valley | Pedal or take a scenic train ride past teal-colored Lake Thun to Interlaken | Indulge in decadent Swiss fondue | Ride through the Lauterbrunnen Valley, famous for its thundering waterfalls and towering rock faces | Hop aboard a historical cog-wheel train for a 1,300-foot lift to the resort town of Wengen | Tackle the breathtaking hike up to Kleine Scheidegg, the base camp for the famous Eiger Glacier climb.
Catch stunning views of Eiger's north face from this luxurious chalet-style hotel. (pool, spa)
Catch the Glacier Express train to Zermatt, a picturesque village with stunning views of the Matterhorn | Hike through the Zmutt Valley | Pause for a lager or slice of apple strudel in a historic mountain hamlet | Visit the herb garden for Ricola's world-renowned candy and teas | Admire jaw-dropping views of Gornergletscher, the Alps' second-largest ice field with bright blue pools and deep crevasses, reached by foot or cogwheel train | Listen to the glacier groan, creak and rumble | Breathe fresh morning air en route to an alpine lake which offers magnificent vistas | A festive dinner featuring raclette and fondue marks the last night of this grand alpine hiking adventure.
Set in the heart of Zermatt under the shadow of the Matterhorn, this luxurious mountain resort dates back to 1852. (pool, spa)
The earlier you book, the more choice you'll have and the lower your price. And you can always change your mind — you won't be charged to transfer to a different trip before your final payment is due. View cancellation policy
Click on dates for pricing, itinerary variations and to book your trip. Price is per person, double occupancy.
Activity Level: 1-4
Every Backroads trip is designed to appeal to a wide variety of interests and fitness levels. We know your pace may vary from one day to the next—and your traveling companion's may differ somewhat from yours. So we present a range of mileage options, and each day you decide exactly what and how much you want to do. LEARN MORE.
Note: The walking and hiking terrain on this trip includes a mix of dirt paths and paved and gravel roads. Most of our hikes take place at elevations of 4,000–7,000 feet, which can make the routes feel more challenging than the mileage may suggest. The biking routes vary from level to rolling with a few steeper climbs. Most of our rides are on car-free bike paths; the Backroads support van will intersect with the routes at strategic points.
- All breakfasts, 4 lunches, 4 dinners
- Expertise and services of our experienced Trip Leaders
- Snacks and beverages between meals
- Additional guides and experts from the region on many trips
- Van shuttles to support a variety of route options
- Comprehensive Travel Planner with detailed pre-trip information
- Private guided tours at museums, historic sites, wineries and other select attractions as noted in the Travel Planner
- All gratuities at hotels and restaurants
- Special events, including wine tastings and other select attractions as mentioned in the Travel Planner
- On biking and multi-adventure trips, use of fully equipped Backroads titanium bike plus helmet and accessories
- Trailercycles, carriers, and kid-sized helmets for Family Trips
- Equipment and experienced guides for kayaking, rafting, snorkeling, sailing and canoeing as described
- Park and other entry fees
- Fares for trains, ferries and other modes of travel as listed in the Travel Planner
- Select coach transfers
- Baggage transfers and porterage
We want to make sure you're on the right trip and that you have the best experience possible. Every Backroads trip is unique and this one is no exception.
For the best riding in Switzerland, we've chosen a combination of small, quiet roads and some unpaved bike paths with stretches of limited van support. Our bikes are equipped with slightly wider tires to accommodate the paths and trail surfaces.
While the hotels on this trip offer outstanding service and amenities, please note that they are not equipped with air-conditioning and guest rooms can occasionally become warm during peak temperatures.