Arizona's Saguaro & Tucson Family Multi-Adventure Tour - 4-Day Getaway - Older Teens & 20s
National Park Adventures in the Sun
Welcome to Southern Arizona where towering saguaro cacti defy nature’s extremes. Where you hike down peaceful trails and bike up rugged hills in magical landscapes. Where cactus flowers and cougars share a home in the Sonoran Desert. And where you and your family fall for Tucson.
ACCOMMODATIONS: Casual Plus Hotels
Start/End locations may vary. Do not book flights until your trip details are confirmed.
- Bike and hike through the lush and diverse Sonoran Desert, home to otherworldy saguaros, the iconic symbol of the American Southwest
- Stroll through the one-of-a-kind Arizona-Sonora Desert museum where Gila monsters, prairie dogs, river otters and raptors roam
- Enjoy Tucson, set next to the mountain ranges and desert landscapes of Saguaro National Park, and learn about the city and park’s histories
- Pedal around Tucson on a car-free loop and savor fine meals in this UNESCO Creative City of Gastronomy
Casual Plus Hotels
DAY 1 From Tucson, we journey to Saguaro National Park West, spanning over 24,000 acres of desert landscape | Hike along a ravine to discover the remnants of an old copper mine and views of giant saguaros and their long arms reaching for the Sonoran desert sun | See 800-year-old petroglyphs etched into canyon walls by Hohokam peoples | Roam through the Arizona-Sonora Desert Museum, a unique zoo, natural history museum and botanical garden | At the end of each day kick back at our historic resort, perhaps the whole family poolside gazing at vistas of the Santa Catalina Mountains.
DAY 2 Bike on Tucson's car-free path to Saguaro National Park East, the larger side of the park and home to cougars and bears | Cycle along the acclaimed Cactus Loop, a quiet one-way road in the park | Breeze through a roller-coaster route that twists and turns through a saguaro cactus forest | Experience part of the climb up Mt. Lemmon, one of the country’s top 10 sustained distance climbs, and find an otherworldly environment of rock formations, including hoodoos.
DAYS 3-4 As you circle on a car-free paved route, get to know the Tucson scene | Explore Mercado San Agustin, an open-air courtyard lined with local shops and restaurants that embody the casual and artsy Tucson vibe | In the Santa Catalina Mountain foothills, hike through the riparian zone of Sabino Canyon, brimming with diverse vegetation and wildlife.
The perfect combination of historical elegance and sophisticated luxury, this hacienda-inspired sanctuary once welcomed mid-century Hollywood icons including Clark Gable, Spencer Tracy and Katharine Hepburn. You'll see why it deserves its Historic Hotels of America membership. (pool, spa)
The earlier you book, the more choice you'll have and the lower your price. And you can always change your mind — you won't be charged to transfer to a different trip before your final payment is due. View cancellation policy
Click on dates for pricing, itinerary variations and to book your trip. Price is per person, double occupancy.
Activity Level: 1-4
Every Backroads trip is designed to appeal to a wide variety of interests and fitness levels. Several routes and a range of levels are offered each day so you can choose how much or how little activity you want to do. Learn more about how we determine activity levels.
The terrain on this trip includes rolling hills, with a few steeper grades. Please note that the heat of the day can make the routes feel more challenging. While the scenery is stunning, sections of the roads in Southern Arizona can be rough and repaving is ongoing. Due to the remote nature of some of the roads, the condition of the shoulders can vary.
Daily Route Options
- All breakfasts, 3 lunches, 3 dinners
- Expertise and services of our experienced Trip Leaders
- Snacks and beverages between meals
- Additional guides and experts from the region on many trips
- Van shuttles to support a variety of route options
- Comprehensive Travel Planner with detailed pre-trip information
- Private guided tours at museums, historic sites, wineries and other select attractions as noted in the Travel Planner
- All gratuities at hotels and restaurants
- Special events, including wine tastings and other select attractions as mentioned in the Travel Planner
- On biking and multi-adventure trips, use of fully equipped Backroads titanium bike plus helmet and accessories
- Trailercycles, carriers, and kid-sized helmets for Family Trips
- Equipment and experienced guides for kayaking, rafting, snorkeling, sailing and canoeing as described
- Park and other entry fees
- Fares for trains, ferries and other modes of travel as listed in the Travel Planner
- Select coach transfers
- Baggage transfers and porterage
We want to make sure you're on the right trip and that you have the best experience possible. Every Backroads trip is unique and this one is no exception.
While Backroads strives to find routes that are quiet and off the beaten track, some of this region's highlights are only accessible via heavily trafficked roads. We've added strategic shuttle options to bypass most of the traffic, which you are always welcome to utilize.
The city of Tucson prohibits motorized devices (including e-bikes) on bicycle pathways. On this trip, portions of several routes include a ride on a bicycle pathway; e-bike riders will have to pedal their bike without the battery during these sections. Your Backroads Trip Leaders will handle the removal and return of your batteries. (Note that without battery power, biking may feel more challenging than the activity level suggests.)