DESTINATION ENTRY REQUIREMENTS
There are currently special requirements for travelers to this region. Learn more.
Netherlands & Belgium Family Bike Tour - Older Teens & 20s
Windmills & Canals from Amsterdam to Ghent
Welcome to the Netherlands, where bicycles outnumber people. And to Belgium, where passion for le vélo is legendary. Take a spin on two wheels and your family too will be smitten. Set out to explore the flat-as-a-pannekoek landscape, amid the flower fields and quiet canals. Venture into vibrant cities and fairy-tale hamlets. Come bike with us in the Netherlands and Belgium. Bring the family. And feel the love.
THIS ITINERARY: 6 days, 5 nights
ACCOMMODATIONS: Premiere Hotels
Special Kids Prices
Netherlands & Belgium
Start Amsterdam / End Ghent
Start/End locations may vary. Do not book flights until your trip details are confirmed.
- Bike amid a backdrop of iconic scenery—traditional windmills, sleepy canals, pitch-roofed farmhouses and vast skies
- Luxuriate in hotels reminiscent of the 17th-century Golden Age, with their old-world opulence and white-glove traditions
- Sample Belgium’s national treasures—world-class beer, chocolate and waffles—as well as plenty of Dutch cheese along the way
- Explore picturesque Amsterdam and medieval Ghent, two captivating gateway cities in two unique countries
6 Days Premiere Hotels
Biking is a way of life in Holland, and it’s a pleasure to join the locals as you cruise through the region, passing dikes and quaint villages | Take a leisurely family bike tour from Edam to Santpoort, located on the edge of a lush coastal forest | Pause for lunch at a charming and quintessentially Dutch farmhouse | Bike past emerald-green fields, horse farms and windmills—timeless scenery straight out of a Dutch masterpiece | Rest and relax at our splendid hotel on the edge of Zuid-Kennemerland National Park.
A historic country estate situated within a national park and featuring a Michelin-starred restaurant.
Follow cycling paths through enchanting villages and past lush farmland | As you bike through polders to Gouda, keep an eye out for birds, swans and cows | Taste a wedge of distinctive Gouda cheese—or perhaps a slice of appeltaart? | Visit the World Heritage site of Kinderdijk, known for its 19 windmills once used to drain the surrounding floodplain | A landscape of dunes and seaside lanes lead the way to The Hague | Vacation with family at our elegant Dutch retreat.
Built in 1858 to host aristocrats and heads of state, this opulent former palace is located among the cafés, restaurants and shops of the historic city center. (pool, spa)
Bike over the border into Belgium | It’s a scenic ride to Ghent, one of the country's oldest and most fascinating cities | Discover medieval architecture and classical design in Bruges as you explore narrow cobblestone streets, lofty spires and meandering canals | Find post-ride repose at our decadent hotel, housed in Ghent's Neo-Gothic one-time post office | Take a final spin through peaceful Belgian neighborhoods.
Decadent, contemporary and intriguing, this luxury boutique hotel—in Ghent's historic post office—is named for the year its grand Neo-Gothic façade was first built.
The earlier you book, the more choice you'll have and the lower your price. And you can always change your mind — you won't be charged to transfer to a different trip before your final payment is due. View cancellation policy.
Click on dates for pricing, itinerary variations and to book your trip. Price is per person, double occupancy.
Activity Level: 1-4
Every Backroads trip is designed to appeal to a wide variety of interests and fitness levels. Several routes and a range of levels are offered each day so you can choose how much or how little activity you want to do. Learn more about how we determine activity levels.
Daily Route Options
Available Bike Options
The key to a stellar day's ride is a bike that's perfectly in tune with your cycling style… Backroads has you covered with the best bike fleet in the world! Read on for your available bike options for this trip.
- All breakfasts, 5 lunches, 4 dinners
- Expertise and services of our experienced Trip Leaders
- Snacks and beverages between meals
- Additional guides and experts from the region on many trips
- Van shuttles to support a variety of route options
- Comprehensive Travel Planner with detailed pre-trip information
- Private guided tours at museums, historic sites, wineries and other select attractions as noted in the Travel Planner
- All gratuities at hotels and restaurants
- Special events, including wine tastings and other select attractions as mentioned in the Travel Planner
- On biking and multi-adventure trips, use of fully equipped Backroads titanium bike plus helmet and accessories
- Trailercycles, carriers, and kid-sized helmets for Family Trips
- Equipment and experienced guides for kayaking, rafting, snorkeling, sailing and canoeing as described
- Park and other entry fees
- Fares for trains, ferries and other modes of travel as listed in the Travel Planner
- Select coach transfers
- Baggage transfers and porterage
We want to make sure you're on the right trip and that you have the best experience possible. Every Backroads trip is unique and this one is no exception.
The Dutch and Belgians are famous for their love of bikes. And that love of bikes has created an amazing network of bike paths and routes that extend throughout each country. Many of the paths we utilize on this trip are the equivalent of scenic byways, linking quaint villages and big cities alike. Navigating these intricate bike routes requires more attention to the GPS and directions than you might expect. Be prepared to make more stops than you usually would to ensure you're on the right track, all the while experiencing the occasional rush of riding among many locals as they commute and run errands by bike.