Loire Valley Family Bike Tour - Older Teens & 20s
Storybook Châteaux & French Countryside
The Loire Valley—right out of a fairy tale. Graceful castles and flawless manicured gardens. An idyllic scene made lush by the majestic water of the Loire River. A rolling symphony of vineyards, orchards, fields and rivers. Decadent cuisine and exquisite wines. Order and elegance have shaped the Loire Valley. Now it's your family's turn.
THIS ITINERARY: 6 days, 5 nights
ACCOMMODATIONS: Casual Hotels
Special Kids Prices
Start/End locations may vary. Do not book flights until your trip details are confirmed.
- Pedal through a landscape fit for kings and queens to explore Renaissance, medieval and classical châteaux
- Relax at gracious castle-hotels, admire grand French architecture and experience the richness of life in the Loire
- Taste unique wines from local vineyards and savor the gastronomic delights of one of France's most fertile regions
- Visit off-the-beaten-path villages like Candes-St-Martin and Montsoreau and ride dedicated bike paths along the river
6 Days Casual Hotels
Bike quiet rural roads to charming villages and inspiring architectural landmarks in a World Heritage landscape | Wander the impeccable grounds of Château de Chambord, the Loire’s grandest castle | Cycle parts of the beautiful regional bike path network, La Loire à Vélo | Relax at a lovely French manor-turned-hotel set on 34 acres of magnificent woodland.
Once a 17th-century manor, this refined and sunny hotel maintains traditional French aesthetics with a modern touch. (pool)
Ride along rolling hills to Château de Chaumont, set among verdant lawns and meandering paths | Explore the castle's plush chambers and impressive collection of themed gardens | Delve into fascinating French history where it actually unfolded | Discover Amboise, one of the region’s loveliest and most historic towns | Choose an outdoor table and sip a café on Rue Nationale, a prime people-watching spot | Visit Leonardo da Vinci's former home, Clos Lucé, and be inspired by the artist's remarkable work on display in the property's museum | Bike through a splendid forest and along the River Cher to Chenonceau for a tour of the noble home’s richly appointed salons and vast galleries.
This former royal residence is surrounded by a park and forest. (pool)
Embark on a leisurely ride through fields, vineyards and forested Loire villages from Château de Villandry, a 16th-century castle with stunning gardens | Bike along the River Loire and immerse yourself in the area’s joie de vivre | Venture off the beaten path in picturesque old-world spots like Montsoreau and Candes-St-Martin | Share riverside paths with local cyclists en route to one-of-a-kind troglodyte hamlets and the town of Saumur, home to some of the region's finest wines | Ride through cabernet franc vineyards and arrive in postcard-perfect Brissac-Quincé | Pause at the water’s edge at a lively guinguette (tavern) | Opt for a final spin through the countryside or a peaceful morning at the hotel.
Decadent French styling and sweeping views of the Loire River are highlights at this elegant castle-hotel.
The earlier you book, the more choice you'll have and the lower your price. And you can always change your mind — you won't be charged to transfer to a different trip before your final payment is due. View cancellation policy
Click on dates for pricing, itinerary variations and to book your trip. Price is per person, double occupancy.
Activity Level: 1-4
Every Backroads trip is designed to appeal to a wide variety of interests and fitness levels. We know your pace may vary from one day to the next—and your traveling companion's may differ somewhat from yours. So we present a range of mileage options, and each day you decide exactly what and how much you want to do. LEARN MORE.
Available Bike Options
The key to a stellar day's ride is a bike that's perfectly in tune with your cycling style… Backroads has you covered with the best bike fleet in the world! Read on for your available bike options for this trip.
- All breakfasts, 5 lunches, 4 dinners
- Expertise and services of our experienced Trip Leaders
- Snacks and beverages between meals
- Additional guides and experts from the region on many trips
- Van shuttles to support a variety of route options
- Comprehensive Travel Planner with detailed pre-trip information
- Private guided tours at museums, historic sites, wineries and other select attractions as noted in the Travel Planner
- All gratuities at hotels and restaurants
- Special events, including wine tastings and other select attractions as mentioned in the Travel Planner
- On biking and multi-adventure trips, use of fully equipped Backroads titanium bike plus helmet and accessories
- Trailercycles, carriers, and kid-sized helmets for Family Trips
- Equipment and experienced guides for kayaking, rafting, snorkeling, sailing and canoeing as described
- Park and other entry fees
- Fares for trains, ferries and other modes of travel as listed in the Travel Planner
- Select coach transfers
- Baggage transfers and porterage
We want to make sure you're on the right trip and that you have the best experience possible. Every Backroads trip is unique and this one is no exception.
On many nights, the gourmet restaurants where we dine offer specially prepared limited or fixed menus featuring a delicious selection of authentic regional cuisine.