Vancouver & Gulf Islands Family Bike Tour - 20s & Beyond
Canada's Undiscovered Isles & Victoria
The pleasures are simple out here at the edge of the continent. And while local artisans, boutique wineries and farm-to-table eateries are part of the daily scene, you won’t have to paddle, pedal or hike far to imagine you’ve landed in a secret place. Where it’s just you, your family and the soaring eagles, with space to spare.
THIS ITINERARY: 6 days, 5 nights
ACCOMMODATIONS: Premiere Hotels*
Start Victoria / End Victoria or Galiano Island
Start/End locations may vary. Do not book flights until your trip details are confirmed.
- Pedal through lush cedar forests and bucolic inland pastures and quiet rolling hills along pristine coastline
- Explore one of western Canada’s most appealing regions with its endless panoramic views of the inland archipelago and Olympic Peninsula
- Discover harbor seals and incredible birdlife, including bald eagles, around the Gray Peninsula and relax on white shell beaches
- Enjoy exquisite farm-to-table cuisine and award-winning wines locally sourced from the land and sea
6 Days Premiere Hotels*
Take in inspiring views of the Salish Sea en route to Brentwood Bay | Visit Butchart Garden and discover the amazing floral display | Journey along what's known as Vancouver Island's Most Beautiful Shortcut aboard the Mill Bay ferry | Bike rolling country roads in bucolic Cowichan Valley | Enjoy the mild microclimate here, yielding more sunny days than anywhere else in Canada! | Riding at a leisurely pace, stop along the way at small boutique wineries, artisan studios and roadside produce stands.
Perched on a forested hillside with spectacular bay vistas, this chic boutique resort features a blend of West Coast and Asian styles. (pool, spa)
Cruise by ferry to Salt Spring Island, “the coolest island in Canada” according to the Washington Post | Enjoy an undulating and scenic ride past island cottages, sylvan hillsides and lush farmland | Take a stroll through Garry oak meadows to a stunning viewpoint at Ruckle Park | Stop to taste craft beer or artisan cider and visit local farm stands | Explore unique art galleries and whimsical shops in the town of Ganges.
This Sussex-style manor hotel is located on 22 acres with beautiful gardens overlooking the ocean and features tastefully furnished rooms. A Relais & Châteaux member. (spa)
Keep an eye out for porpoises, bald eagles and—if we're lucky—whales during a water-taxi cruise to Galiano Island | Cycle quiet rolling roads past rugged shoreline and stretches of forest dotted with eclectic galleries and art studios | Kayak the tranquil cobalt waters of Montague Harbor, playing hide-and-seek with harbor seals | Hike through temperate rain forest to Galiano Bluffs for endless views of the surrounding islands and Olympic Peninsula.
One of the island's original accommodations, this Pacific Northwest retreat is virtually a destination in itself thanks to its superb vistas of the harbor, Active Passage and the lighthouse on nearby Mayne Island. (spa)
The earlier you book, the more choice you'll have and the lower your price. And you can always change your mind — you won't be charged to transfer to a different trip before your final payment is due. View cancellation policy
Click on dates for pricing, itinerary variations and to book your trip. Price is per person, double occupancy.
Activity Level: 2-4
Every Backroads trip is designed to appeal to a wide variety of interests and fitness levels. We know your pace may vary from one day to the next—and your traveling companion's may differ somewhat from yours. So we present a range of mileage options, and each day you decide exactly what and how much you want to do. LEARN MORE.
Note: The Gulf Islands' landscape is characterized by constant rises and valleys. The continuously rolling terrain can make routes feel more challenging than the mileage may suggest. Roads have chip seal pavement and are rough at times. Walking trails are on maintained paths with rocks and roots, sometimes muddy and some with steep pitches.
Available Bike Options
The key to a stellar day's ride is a bike that's perfectly in tune with your cycling style… Backroads has you covered with the best bike fleet in the world! Read on for your available bike options for this trip.
- All breakfasts, 6 lunches, 4 dinners
- Expertise and services of our experienced Trip Leaders
- Snacks and beverages between meals
- Additional guides and experts from the region on many trips
- Van shuttles to support a variety of route options
- Comprehensive Travel Planner with detailed pre-trip information
- Private guided tours at museums, historic sites, wineries and other select attractions as noted in the Travel Planner
- All gratuities at hotels and restaurants
- Special events, including wine tastings and other select attractions as mentioned in the Travel Planner
- On biking and multi-adventure trips, use of fully equipped Backroads titanium bike plus helmet and accessories
- Trailercycles, carriers, and kid-sized helmets for Family Trips
- Equipment and experienced guides for kayaking, rafting, snorkeling, sailing and canoeing as described
- Park and other entry fees
- Fares for trains, ferries and other modes of travel as listed in the Travel Planner
- Select coach transfers
- Baggage transfers and porterage