Death Valley Family Bike Tour - 20s & Beyond - Active Weekend Getaway
California's Dramatic Desert
The names are ominous. Death Valley. Badwater. Furnace Creek. Yet there's striking beauty. The rippling sand dunes. Colorful mountains. Plants and animals thriving amid topographic extremes. Now your family is one of them. Savoring the views. Tackling the rides. And basking in the sun. With nothing but good omens in sight.
THIS ITINERARY: 4 days, 3 nights
ACCOMMODATIONS: Casual Hotels
Start/End Las Vegas
Start/End locations may vary. Do not book flights until your trip details are confirmed.
- Explore the iconic 100-foot-high dunes at Mesquite Flat—the realm of constantly shifting desert sands
- Revel in the $50-million renovations at the Inn at Death Valley, a transformation of this historic hotel into a luxurious desert oasis
- Hike through the shadowed contours of Golden Canyon to famous Zabriskie Point, immortalized on film
- Bike through a mesmerizing landscape, including vast white salt flats and the lowest point in the United States
4 Days Casual Hotels
DAY 1 Bike across the giant Salt Playa to the lowest point in the United States and see if you feel any different at 282 feet below sea level | Desert illusions of water might just mesmerize you | Kick back at the Inn at Death Valley, a natural oasis where 50 freshwater springs provide water for drinking, showers, irrigation and even the swimming pool.
DAY 2 Have a look around the Death Valley National Park Visitor Center to learn about the natural wonders you’ll experience during your trip | Delight in the peacefulness of the desert as you set off, marveling at sights both grand and intimate—from immense sand dunes to salt-tolerant pickleweed | Hop off your bike and walk into the dunes at Mesquite Flat where you'll feel the vastness of the park.
DAY 3 Pay a visit to the ghost town of Rhyolite, a once-prosperous town site teeming with prospectors | Bike through Daylight Pass to reach the highest point on our trip | Cycle down the valley with views of the Panamint Mountains and sand dunes in the distance | Sip a cool drink as you watch the sun set from the hotel's terrace.
DAY 4 Ascend to Zabriskie Point, the park’s most celebrated vista | Take in the badlands' yellow sandstone and ancient lava flows in the Black Mountains to the south | Hike through out-of-this-world rock formations resembling Neapolitan ice cream | Explore Golden Canyon, a slot canyon that you may recognize from the original Star Wars films.
Nestled at the foot of the Funeral Mountains, this historic and recently renovated Mission-style hotel sits almost 200 feet below sea level. (pool, spa)
The earlier you book, the more choice you'll have and the lower your price. And you can always change your mind — you won't be charged to transfer to a different trip before your final payment is due. View cancellation policy
Click on dates for pricing, itinerary variations and to book your trip. Price is per person, double occupancy.
Activity Level: 2-4
Every Backroads trip is designed to appeal to a wide variety of interests and fitness levels. We know your pace may vary from one day to the next—and your traveling companion's may differ somewhat from yours. So we present a range of mileage options, and each day you decide exactly what and how much you want to do. LEARN MORE.
Available Bike Options
The key to a stellar day's ride is a bike that's perfectly in tune with your cycling style… Backroads has you covered with the best bike fleet in the world! Read on for your available bike options for this trip.
- All breakfasts, 4 lunches, 3 dinners
- Expertise and services of our experienced Trip Leaders
- Snacks and beverages between meals
- Additional guides and experts from the region on many trips
- Van shuttles to support a variety of route options
- Comprehensive Travel Planner with detailed pre-trip information
- Private guided tours at museums, historic sites, wineries and other select attractions as noted in the Travel Planner
- All gratuities at hotels and restaurants
- Special events, including wine tastings and other select attractions as mentioned in the Travel Planner
- On biking and multi-adventure trips, use of fully equipped Backroads titanium bike plus helmet and accessories
- Trailercycles, carriers, and kid-sized helmets for Family Trips
- Equipment and experienced guides for kayaking, rafting, snorkeling, sailing and canoeing as described
- Park and other entry fees
- Fares for trains, ferries and other modes of travel as listed in the Travel Planner
- Select coach transfers
- Baggage transfers and porterage
We want to make sure you're on the right trip and that you have the best experience possible. Every Backroads trip is unique and this one is no exception.
Death Valley is a land of extremes. At times, weather conditions (like high winds or even the occasional rain storm) may warrant unexpected changes to our itinerary. In this event, alternate activities will be planned that you're sure to enjoy.
The Inn at Death Valley received a multimillion-dollar renovation in 2018. It is a grand historical treasure and by far the best place to stay in the Death Valley area. While its location within Death Valley National Park makes it an ideal base for exploring the valley's many sights, it is also subject to park regulations and oversight. Similar to many national park lodges, service at The Inn at Death Valley can seem slow and casual compared to the high standards of hospitality found on other Backroads trips.