Arizona Bike Tour
Tucson's Blue Sky & Saguaro National Park
Is this a mirage? Vast skies above the Sonoran Desert. Towering saguaro cacti bursting to life in the spring. Splashes of color across the earthy terrain. Roadrunners—and cyclists!—revitalized by cooler fall temperatures. Boutique hotels and charming resorts in quaint artists' towns. It's not a mirage. It's Arizona.
THIS ITINERARY: 5 days, 4 nights
ACCOMMODATIONS: Casual & Casual Plus Hotels
Start/End locations may vary. Do not book flights until your trip details are confirmed.
- Mingle with creative souls in artsy Tubac and explore historic Tumacácori Mission, a National Historic Park
- Cycle past the otherworldly towering saguaros, jumping chollas and organ pipe cacti in Saguaro National Park
- Meet Gila monsters, raptors and prairie dogs at the Arizona-Sonora Desert Museum—a one-of-a-kind experience
- Savor distinctive Sonoita wines and Southwestern delicacies in Tucson, America's first UNESCO Creative City of Gastronomy
5 Days Casual & Casual Plus Hotels
Journey south from Tucson into the vast Sonoran Desert region of Arizona | Pedal from the San Xavier Indian Reservation to the artsy town of Tubac, once the site of a Spanish presidio and Arizona's oldest European settlement | Immerse yourself in the desert landscape filled with saguaro cactus, velvet mesquite, cholla and prickly pear | Savor a southwestern feast at a resort set on a 500-acre ranch, former home of the largest cattle empire in Arizona | Pedal to Peña Blanca, a high desert oasis in the foothills of the Pajarito Mountains, perhaps spotting javelinas, jackrabbits or roadrunners along the way | Visit the Spanish mission at Tumacácori, a National Historic Park at the center of a cultural crossroads | Browse Tubac's distinctive art galleries and eclectic boutiques | Savor some downtime at the resort, perhaps indulging in a rejuvenating spa treatment or a refreshing dip in the pool.
Enveloped by mountains, this tranquil Spanish Colonial retreat is set on a 500-acre ranch in the lush Santa Cruz River Valley. (pool, spa)
Visit the unique Arizona-Sonora Desert Museum | Marvel at desert flora as you bike through Saguaro National Park West, home to the long-armed saguaro cactus, which grows naturally nowhere else on Earth | Take a spin on Tucson's car-free bike path called The Loop | Horse ranches line a route that skirts the foothills of the Catalina Mountains | Relax at Hacienda Del Sol, a historic boutique hotel | Explore Saguaro National Park East along a roller-coaster bike route that twists and turns through a saguaro cactus forest | Explore Sabino Canyon by foot or on two wheels.
The perfect combination of historical elegance and sophisticated luxury, this hacienda-inspired sanctuary once welcomed mid-century Hollywood icons including Clark Gable, Spencer Tracy and Katharine Hepburn. (pool, spa)
The earlier you book, the more choice you'll have and the lower your price. And you can always change your mind — you won't be charged to transfer to a different trip before your final payment is due. View cancellation policy
Click on dates for pricing, itinerary variations and to book your trip. Price is per person, double occupancy.
Activity Level: 2-4
Every Backroads trip is designed to appeal to a wide variety of interests and fitness levels. We know your pace may vary from one day to the next—and your traveling companion's may differ somewhat from yours. So we present a range of mileage options, and each day you decide exactly what and how much you want to do. LEARN MORE.
Note: The terrain on this trip includes rolling hills, with a few steeper grades. Please note that the heat of the day can make the routes feel more challenging. While the scenery is stunning, sections of the roads in Southern Arizona can be rough and repaving is ongoing. Due to the remote nature of some of the roads, the condition of the shoulders can vary.
Available Bike Options
The key to a stellar day's ride is a bike that's perfectly in tune with your cycling style… Backroads has you covered with the best bike fleet in the world! Read on for your available bike options for this trip.
- All breakfasts, 5 lunches, 4 dinners
- Expertise and services of our experienced Trip Leaders
- Snacks and beverages between meals
- Additional guides and experts from the region on many trips
- Van shuttles to support a variety of route options
- Comprehensive Travel Planner with detailed pre-trip information
- Private guided tours at museums, historic sites, wineries and other select attractions as noted in the Travel Planner
- All gratuities at hotels and restaurants
- Special events, including wine tastings and other select attractions as mentioned in the Travel Planner
- On biking and multi-adventure trips, use of fully equipped Backroads titanium bike plus helmet and accessories
- Trailercycles, carriers, and kid-sized helmets for Family Trips
- Equipment and experienced guides for kayaking, rafting, snorkeling, sailing and canoeing as described
- Park and other entry fees
- Fares for trains, ferries and other modes of travel as listed in the Travel Planner
- Select coach transfers
- Baggage transfers and porterage
We want to make sure you're on the right trip and that you have the best experience possible. Every Backroads trip is unique and this one is no exception.
While Backroads strives to find routes that are quiet and off the beaten track, some of this region's highlights are only accessible via heavily trafficked roads. We've added strategic shuttle options to bypass most of the traffic, which you are always welcome to utilize.
The city of Tucson prohibits motorized devices (including e-bikes) on bicycle pathways. On this trip, portions of several routes include a ride on a bicycle pathway; e-bike riders will have to pedal their bike without the battery during this section. Your Backroads Trip Leaders will handle the removal and return of your batteries.