That whole "time flies" theory just doesn't work in Patagonia. Imagine traveling slowly on a small ferry through a tremendous fjord on Lake Argentino toward Upsala Glacier. Time is moving so slowly but you can't possibly take in the scenery fast enough. The Andes are so windswept they almost look like petrified ocean waves, white caps and all. The lake is bouncing a clear blue sky back up at you. Framing everything perfectly. It's like time freezes in Patagonia even though you're having fun.
Days 1-3 Hike below Cerro Fitz Roy's jagged granite spires to gorgeous Laguna de los Tres, formed by a plunging glacier Mirador de los Cóndores reveals mammoth views over the Torre and Fitz Roy peaks Marvel at the sight of ancient forests and otherworldly surroundings Malbec, pinot noir, torrontés and more - discover delectable Argentine vintages at a wine tasting.
Days 4-5 Ice-trek on Perito Moreno Glacier - crampons and our expert guide give you the edge Learn to make authentic Argentine empanadas from a local expert In El Calafate, try the homemade ice cream flavored with a local berry, calafate, after which the town is named Explore the World Heritage site of Los Glaciares National Park, a frozen landscape of crevasses and breathtakingly blue ice.
Day 6 Unforgettable boat rides among icebergs and fjords - get ready for a close encounter with famous Upsala Glacier Watch for soaring condors along Cristina Bay before ascending through lenga forests to a stunning panorama of lakes, mountains and ice fields Sip yerba mate, the local beverage, like Patagonian cowboys Enjoy a tour of an estancia and learn about its history from the family's private museum collection.
Days 7-8 Try on gaucho life with a guided horseback ride across the pampas A rocky trail leads to Fossil Canyon, featuring startlingly colored stones and ammonite fossils believed to be millions of years old.
- Hike in the shadow of the Fitz Roy's jagged granite spires
- Ice-trek on Perito Moreno Glacier
- Cruise on crystalline waters among icebergs and fjords
- Savor regional varietals at an exclusive Argentine wine tasting
- Horseback ride in the vast Patagonian landscape - no better place than this!
Los Cerros (3 nights): Enjoy sleek modern style and spectacular views of the snowcapped granite spires of Cerro Fitz Roy and Cerro Torre.
Eolo (2 nights): "Sophisticated yet homey - the kind of place where you don't worry about kicking off your muddy boots when you return from a hike," says Travel + Leisure about this remote country lodge on the Patagonian steppe. A Relais & Châteaux member. (pool)
Estancia Cristina (2 nights): A favorite among our guests, this remote historic ranch founded in 1914 offers the perfect launching point for hikes into Patagonia's wilderness; it's accessible only by boat, after a cruise on Lake Argentino past the dramatic Upsala Glacier.
Every Backroads trip is designed to appeal to a wide variety of
interests and fitness levels. We know your pace may vary from one
day to the next-and your traveling companion's may differ somewhat
from yours. So we present a range of mileage options, and each
day you decide exactly what and how much you want to do.
Routes For All Abilities
|Daily Route Options|
|Level 1||Level 2||Level 3||Level 4||Level 5|
|miles||feet gain||miles||feet gain||miles||feet gain||miles||feet gain||miles||feet gain|
|Perito Moreno Glacier mini-trek (2 hours)|
|Boat cruise (3 hours)|
|Horseback riding (2 hours)|
* Includes a shuttle
2014 Dates & Pricing*
- 12/20-27 Price: $6298 pp dbl. occ., (+ $960 for sgl. occ.)
- 12/22-29 Price: $6298 pp dbl. occ., (+ $960 for sgl. occ.)
- 12/29-1/5 Price: $5498 pp dbl. occ., (+ $960 for sgl. occ.)
- 12/31-1/7 Price: $5598 pp dbl. occ., (+ $960 for sgl. occ.)
*Prices may change. Once you book your trip, your price is guaranteed.
2015 Dates & Pricing*
- 1/4-11 Price: $5498 pp dbl. occ., (+ $960 for sgl. occ.)
- 1/11-18 Price: $5898 pp dbl. occ., (+ $960 for sgl. occ.)
- 1/18-25 Price: $5498 pp dbl. occ., (+ $960 for sgl. occ.)
- 1/25-2/1 Price: $5498 pp dbl. occ., (+ $960 for sgl. occ.)
- 1/31-2/7 Price: $5498 pp dbl. occ., (+ $960 for sgl. occ.)
- 2/8-15 Price: $5498 pp dbl. occ., (+ $960 for sgl. occ.)
- 2/21-28 Price: $5498 pp dbl. occ., (+ $960 for sgl. occ.)
- 3/1-8 Price: $5498 pp dbl. occ., (+ $960 for sgl. occ.)
- 3/8-15 Price: $5498 pp dbl. occ., (+ $960 for sgl. occ.)
- 3/15-22 Price: $5798 pp dbl. occ., (+ $960 for sgl. occ.)
- 3/22-29 Price: $5498 pp dbl. occ., (+ $960 for sgl. occ.)
- 3/29-4/5 Price: $5498 pp dbl. occ., (+ $960 for sgl. occ.)
- 12/19-26 Price: $5698 pp dbl. occ., (+ $960 for sgl. occ.)
- 12/21-28 Price: $5698 pp dbl. occ., (+ $960 for sgl. occ.)
- 12/23-30 Price: $5698 pp dbl. occ., (+ $960 for sgl. occ.)
- 12/28-1/4 Price: $5698 pp dbl. occ., (+ $960 for sgl. occ.)
- 12/30-1/6 Price: $5698 pp dbl. occ., (+ $960 for sgl. occ.)
*Prices may change. Once you book your trip, your price is guaranteed.
Private Trips Options & Pricing
Gather your favorite people to share a Backroads adventure on a ready-to-book Private Trip - featuring all the legendary Backroads hallmarks from expert leaders to unforgettable activities.
You can pick any open date for your group of 8 or more except for trips departing during the last two weeks of December, where a 16 guest minimum is required. Call us for date availability.
Pricing for Private Trips
- 8 - 9 guests $5,898 pp dbl. occ.
- 10 - 11 guests $5,598 pp dbl. occ.
- 12 or more guests $4,998 pp dbl. occ.
For groups of 2 to 7 guests, please call for Custom Trip pricing.
Guest Trip Reviews
The walk on the Perito Moreno Glacier was one of the best experiences of any we've had. We were able to climb up and down over peaks and valleys, jumping across crevasses and spending three hours of unadulterated excitement and personal satisfaction on the glacier... We count this as the best vacation we've ever had.- Thousand Oaks, CA
One of the best trips I have experienced. The hotels were fantastic. The guides were the best. Loved the glacier walking - wow! Enjoyed the horseback riding. Liked that there were several hiking distance options, and local guides to assist so that the Backroads guides could accommodate all the hikers interests in the hikes.- Titusville, NJ
This was my favorite of all of the Backroads trips I have taken. What a great adventure! The food and wine on this trip were incredible at every location. It far exceeded my expectations, and every meal made my taste buds dance with happiness. I have never found a company I like more than Backroads. It truly is my number one travel company!- Green Valley, AZ
This was my first group travel experience, having always traveled independently in the past. I didn't quite know what to expect and whether I would like it or not...I loved every minute!! From our Backroads Trip Leaders to the local guides, I felt like I was in excellent hands doing incredible things in spectacular natural surroundings. I particularly liked traveling with my fellow Backroads travelers and getting to know them. Without exception, they were an interesting and extremely well-traveled group, and I loved our interaction. And I hope to see some of them again sometime, either on another Backroads trip or just a local visit. This Patagonian trip was a wonderful experience for me and thanks to you, Backroads, for making it so.- Atlanta, GA
I just loved every aspect of the trip. The hiking and the views were unbeatable. I particularly loved the remoteness of all the locations. All of our guides were wonderful and very knowledgeable.- Holderness, NH
The Eolo Lodge was fantastic and Estancia Christina was also a unique experience; especially the Fossil Canyon hike (I've never seen such a stark landscape as at the beginning of that hike at Upsala...looks like photos of Mars in total silence). Overall another excellent Backroads trip.- Atlanta, GA
Exploring Argentina is like getting a new present every day...Surprises are beyond every bend in the trail, and beauty and charm beyond anyone's imagination lie in the quiet villages and the natural terrain.- Tallahassee Magazine