In Yellowstone and the Tetons, the West is still wild. Geysers gush. Mud pots bubble. Old Faithful shoots skyward. Spectacular sawtooth peaks reach to the open sky. Bison and moose graze amid lodgepole pines. Osprey camp out atop awesome pinnacles. Meadows burst with mountain bluebells and paintbrush. Glacial lakes draw trumpeter swans. And we're getting wild, too! Hiking, biking, kayaking, white-water rafting and more. Two national parks. Wild scenery. Wild life. Wild activities. Wild fun.
We want to make sure you're on the right trip and that you have the best experience possible. Every Backroads trip is unique and this one is no exception.
Accommodations & Service StandardsJackson Lake Lodge, Lake Yellowstone Hotel and Old Faithful Snow Lodge are fairly rustic national park lodges that reflect the natural surroundings of Grand Teton and Yellowstone National Parks. While these historic hotels offer simpler accommodations than the typical Backroads property, they are the only game in town - and have been selected because of their access to the best hiking and riding in the region. Although clean and comfortable, the guest rooms are basic and are not equipped with televisions or air-conditioning.
Generally speaking, service can seem slow and brusque in the national parks when compared with the high standards of service found on other Backroads trips.
Interpretive Guides & Hiking Without Your LeadersThe National Park Service limits the size of all groups and Grand Teton National Park doesn't permit guided hiking. Accordingly, in Yellowstone National Park you'll hike and bike in small groups with Backroads leaders. In Grand Teton National Park you'll hike without Backroads leaders or local guides. Your leaders will provide pre-walk briefings, maps and directions. We appreciate your cooperation with the park's regulations.
On your bike ride through Grand Teton National Park, park-certified local guides will join your Backroads leaders to help navigate the route and provide van support.
Day 1 Bubbling mud pots, spouting geysers and steaming vents in Yellowstone Pedal through the heart of the park along the Firehole River, taking in the sights, sounds - and smells! - of this fascinating wonderland Kids will love seeing the fumaroles of Biscuit Basin and legendary Old Faithful Geyser up close.
Day 2 Grand Canyon of the Yellowstone, the park's most dramatic feature, where waterfalls cascade over pastel-colored cliffs A leisurely walk through alpine meadows and stands of lodgepole pines along the canyon rim provides breathtaking vistas deep into the gorge.
Days 3-4 Eagles and bison and bears, oh my! Local guides take us on a flat-water kayaking trip across Yellowstone Lake Breathe in fresh mountain air while kicking back with your family under a vast Wyoming sky Explore Grand Teton National Park, a paradise of bluebell-strewn meadows, shimmering lakes, thick forests and sawtooth mountains Perhaps you'll opt for a horseback ride, scenic boat cruise or a fishing excursion.
Days 5-6 Ready to get wet? Paddle thrilling Class II and III rapids with expert river runners down the Snake River Pedal beneath the spine of the Teton Range as we follow the valley floor Traffic up ahead - watch for roaming bison! Adults explore the Wild West town of Jackson, while kids join the Kid Coordinator for some fun of their own.
- Bubbling mud pots, spouting geysers and steaming vents at Yellowstone
- Bike beneath the Teton Range's sawtooth mountains amid shimmering lakes and dense forests
- The Grand Canyon of the Yellowstone, with its multicolored walls and thundering waterfalls
- Splash down the Snake River on an exhilarating rafting trip
- Eagles and bison and bears, oh my!
Old Faithful Inn (1 night): Built in 1904 with a grand lobby seven stories high, "a spectacular log-and-shingle château that captures the moment the West went from wild to Baroque," reports Travel + Leisure.
Lake Yellowstone Hotel (1 night): On the National Register of Historic Places, this classic park hotel, completed in 1891, sits along the shore of the lake.
Jackson Lake Lodge (2 nights): Situated in the heart of Grand Teton National Park, with 60-foot picture windows for savoring views of the Teton peaks and the roaming moose, elk and bison. (pool)
Snake River Lodge & Spa (1 night): An upscale western-style lodge with plentiful amenities and a scenic location at the base of Jackson Hole Mountain. (pool, spa)
Every Backroads trip is designed to appeal to a wide variety of
interests and fitness levels. We know your pace may vary from one
day to the next-and your traveling companion's may differ somewhat
from yours. So we present a range of mileage options, and each
day you decide exactly what and how much you want to do.
Routes For All Abilities
|Daily Route Options|
|Level 1||Level 2||Level 3||Level 4||Level 5|
|miles||feet gain||miles||feet gain||miles||feet gain||miles||feet gain||miles||feet gain|
|3||Kayaking||On Yellowstone Lake (3 - 4 hours)|
|4||Other||Optional hiking (4 - 14 miles), canoeing, boat cruise, fishing, horseback riding or rock climbing|
|6||Rafting||On the Snake River (2 hours)|
To make for the most comfortable ride to this particular trip, we've outfitted our titanium road bike with slightly wider tires. You'll appreciate this on those stretches of the route with hard-packed dirt (approximately 5% dirt and 95% paved).
* Includes a shuttle
2014 Dates & Pricing*
- 8/3-8 Price: $3298 pp dbl. occ., (+ $770 for sgl. occ.)
- 8/7-12 Price: $3298 pp dbl. occ., (+ $770 for sgl. occ.)
- 8/10-15 Price: $3298 pp dbl. occ., (+ $770 for sgl. occ.)
- 8/11-16 Price: $3298 pp dbl. occ., (+ $770 for sgl. occ.)
- 8/14-19 Price: $3298 pp dbl. occ., (+ $770 for sgl. occ.)
- 8/17-22 Price: $3298 pp dbl. occ., (+ $770 for sgl. occ.)
- 8/21-26 Price: $3298 pp dbl. occ., (+ $770 for sgl. occ.)
- 8/24-29 Price: $3298 pp dbl. occ., (+ $770 for sgl. occ.)
*Prices may change. Once you book your trip, your price is guaranteed.
2015 Dates & Pricing*
- 5/31-6/5 Price: $2998 pp dbl. occ., (+ $810 for sgl. occ.)
- 6/7-12 Price: $2998 pp dbl. occ., (+ $810 for sgl. occ.)
- 6/14-19 Price: $2998 pp dbl. occ., (+ $810 for sgl. occ.)
- 6/21-26 Price: $2998 pp dbl. occ., (+ $810 for sgl. occ.)
- 6/28-7/3 Price: $2998 pp dbl. occ., (+ $810 for sgl. occ.)
- 7/2-7 Price: $2998 pp dbl. occ., (+ $810 for sgl. occ.)
- 7/5-10 Price: $2998 pp dbl. occ., (+ $810 for sgl. occ.)
- 7/9-14 Price: $2998 pp dbl. occ., (+ $810 for sgl. occ.)
- 7/12-17 Price: $2998 pp dbl. occ., (+ $810 for sgl. occ.)
- 7/19-24 Price: $2998 pp dbl. occ., (+ $810 for sgl. occ.)
- 7/23-28 Price: $2998 pp dbl. occ., (+ $810 for sgl. occ.)
- 7/26-31 Price: $2998 pp dbl. occ., (+ $810 for sgl. occ.)
- 7/30-8/4 Price: $2998 pp dbl. occ., (+ $810 for sgl. occ.)
- 8/2-7 Price: $2998 pp dbl. occ., (+ $810 for sgl. occ.)
- 8/6-11 Price: $2998 pp dbl. occ., (+ $810 for sgl. occ.)
- 8/9-14 Price: $2998 pp dbl. occ., (+ $810 for sgl. occ.)
- 8/13-18 Price: $2998 pp dbl. occ., (+ $810 for sgl. occ.)
- 8/16-21 Price: $2998 pp dbl. occ., (+ $810 for sgl. occ.)
- 8/23-28 Price: $2998 pp dbl. occ., (+ $810 for sgl. occ.)
*Prices may change. Once you book your trip, your price is guaranteed.
Recommended Kids Ages
- Recommended minimum age for the trip: 6 years
- Minimum age restriction to ride own bike: 7 years
- Minimum age restriction to kayak and raft: 6 years
General Info on Minimum Ages:We strongly encourage families to join our Family Trips, designed with kid- and adult-friendly features. Please note that we have a minimum age requirement of 1 year for all Inn trips and 2 years for all Camping trips. Other than that, we do not restrict trips to a minimum age except in the rare case of a hotel age restriction. We do, however, recommend minimum ages based on the following criteria:
- 12+ amount of cultural appreciation, difficulty of activities, routes
- 9+ difficulty of activities/activity age restrictions, routes
- 6+ several longer dinners, routes are difficult for pulling a Burley and therefore not appropriate for younger children, difficulty of activities/activity age restrictions
Private Trips Options & Pricing
Gather your favorite people to share a Backroads adventure on a ready-to-book Private Trip - featuring all the legendary Backroads hallmarks from expert leaders to unforgettable activities.
You can pick any open Monday departure for your group of 8 or more. Call us for date availability.
Pricing for Private Trips (prices may vary based on departure date)
|8 - 9 guests from $3,898 pp dbl. occ.||12 or more guests from $2,998 pp dbl. occ.|
|10 - 11 guests from $3,598 pp dbl. occ.|
|8 - 9 guests from $3,798 pp dbl. occ.||12 or more guests from $2,998 pp dbl. occ.|
|10 - 11 guests from $3,298 pp dbl. occ.|
Youth savings do not apply to Private Trips.
Guest Trip Reviews
Fun, fun, fun! We met wonderful people and learned a ton too. It was our first Backroads trip, and now we plan to take at least one per year for the rest of our lives. The leaders were incredible...fun, educated, and accommodating to our every need. They went way beyond the call of duty every single day. It was the best trip we've ever had!- San Luis Obispo, CA
It was the best family trip we have EVER taken! We and our kids had a fabulous time, met some great friends, and we all thoroughly enjoyed our trip leaders, who were exceptional! It was like the last day of summer camp when we had to say good-bye, with tears and hugs. Within six days we had all become close friends with each other, not wanting to say good-bye. This is the best experience I could ask for. We've already started planning our next Backroads trip!- Fort Wayne, IN
This trip...the first with my daughter was awesome! Our leaders were the best. The food was fantastic and ordering off the menu was such a great thing. Isabella and I had so much fun and the activities were just the right level for an almost seven-year-old. One thing you can't know in advance is the interactions between the different folks taking the trip, but we all hit it off and the parents and kids became like one big happy family. I can't wait to take the next family trip. I have been on several Solo Backroads trips in the past and could not wait for my daughter to be old enough to join me...our first experience was a great start.- Syosset, NY
We have been on three Backroads trips and think there is no way the next trip can beat the prior trip. Somehow you do it!- Gibsonia, PA
We had a wonderful time and came back with great memories. My wife and I have told my children that we are spending their inheritance so they might as well come along and enjoy. We are trying to do something of this nature every 2 years both to enjoy an active vacation at beautiful locations, and also to build relationships and common memories for my family.- Roseburg, OR
Hands down the best vacation we have ever had! It's already a logistical nightmare trying to please a whole family; planning, packing, etc. Backroads took so much of these worries out so I could sit back, relax and enjoy the ride. Thank you, thank you, thank you! I knew that this was going to be a great trip. I had some minor trepidation because of the price and my husband was not all that happy about it, but since I paid he couldn't complain too much. He was convinced we would not spend this again for a vacation. At the end of the trip, he's 100% turned around and is ready to go on another trip because it was truly a priceless adventure.- Tampa, FL
We had a fantastic trip. Everything was meticulously planned and executed. We didn't have to do anything other than enjoy the riding, rafting, hiking, kayaking, and beautiful scenery. Couldn't have asked for more. Even better, all four of our kids also had a wonderful time.- Needham, MA