Ready, set, go! It's amazing, the activities you'll pack in during these six sensational days. You'll be biking old railway paths. Taking chairlifts and gondola rides among Italy's most dramatic peaks and spires. Getting a mountain goat's view of limestone massifs, deep valleys and alpine lakes. Exploring World War I trenches carved into the hillsides. Enjoying a hearty lunch at a traditional hiker's hut. Rock climbing lessons for kids and wine tastings for grown-ups. It's pure family fun in an incredible alpine playground called the Dolomites.
Day 1 Follow a mostly car-free route that's perfect for kids! Mountain bike through larch and fir forests along the twists and turns of an old railway path to Cortina d'Ampezzo, a posh town surrounded by stunning peaks and filled with shops and cafés.
Day 2 Ride a chairlift to Rifugio Scoiattoli for dramatic views of the Cinque Torri, a group of famous stone pinnacles Want to dig into the past? Our guided walk reveals World War I bunkers and trenches, and an open-air museum near Passo di Falzarego Kids get the hang of rock climbing with an expert mountaineer.
Day 3 Italy and Austria come together in a multicultural mosaic Pedal through Val Badia's scenic Ladin villages, conifer forests and flower-carpeted fields Glaciers and lofty rock towers - talk about remarkable scenery! Adults sit down to savor the culinary delights of the hotel' Michelin-starred restaurant, La Siriola Youngsters take an exhilarating zip-line ride in Colfosco before their fun-filled pizza feast!
Day 4 Explore hidden valleys and majestic mountains, arriving on the pristine Alpe di Siusi plateau by gondola Alpine gentians and poppies color your bike route Try grilled Taleggio cheese, sausage with mushrooms and polenta and other local specialties.
Days 5-6 Strudel-making with a local chef for the younger set Hike to a rifugio where ancient folk traditions thrive Gaze at beautiful Fiè allo Sciliar with its onion-shaped church steeple.
- Uncover the colorful history and culture of Italy's best-kept alpine secret
- With sharp eyes and a little luck, you'll spot chamois and marmots while you hike and bike
- Ride a chairlift to Rifugio Scoiattoli for superb views of the Cinque Torri
- Strudel-making with a local chef is a highlight for the youngsters
- Kids learn rock climbing basics with an expert mountaineer
Rosapetra Spa Resort (1 night): Offering outstanding mountain views from every angle, this welcoming hotel is located just outside of town and features contemporary alpine style. A Small Luxury Hotels of the World Member. (pool, spa)
Hotel Ciasa Salares (2 nights): Set in a sprawling green meadow surrounded by lush forests. The Michelin-starred restaurant's wine list displays 1,850 labels. (pool, spa)
Hotel Emmy (2 nights): This traditional alpine hotel is located against an impressive backdrop of dramatic Dolomite peaks. (pool, spa)
Every Backroads trip is designed to appeal to a wide variety of
interests and fitness levels. We know your pace may vary from one
day to the next-and your traveling companion's may differ somewhat
from yours. So we present a range of mileage options, and each
day you decide exactly what and how much you want to do.
Routes For All Abilities
|Daily Route Options|
|Level 1||Level 2||Level 3||Level 4||Level 5|
|miles||feet gain||miles||feet gain||miles||feet gain||miles||feet gain||miles||feet gain|
|Kids||Rock Climbing (3 Hours)|
|Kids||Zip-Lining Excursion at Adventure Park (2 Hours)|
|Other||Optional Hiking, Paragliding, Golf or Spa Treatment|
|Kids||Strudel-Making Lesson (1 Hour)|
On this trip, we'll be using titanium mountain bikes that are just right for the non-technical dirt road riding as well as the paved riding.
* Includes a shuttle
2015 Dates & Pricing*
- 6/7-12 Price: $3998 pp dbl. occ., (+ $1190 for sgl. occ.)
- 6/14-19 Price: $3998 pp dbl. occ., (+ $1190 for sgl. occ.)
- 6/16-21 Price: $3998 pp dbl. occ., (+ $1190 for sgl. occ.)
- 6/21-26 Price: $3998 pp dbl. occ., (+ $1190 for sgl. occ.)
- 6/23-28 Price: $3998 pp dbl. occ., (+ $1190 for sgl. occ.)
- 6/28-7/3 Price: $3998 pp dbl. occ., (+ $1190 for sgl. occ.)
- 6/30-7/5 Price: $3998 pp dbl. occ., (+ $1190 for sgl. occ.)
- 7/5-10 Price: $3998 pp dbl. occ., (+ $1190 for sgl. occ.)
- 7/7-12 Price: $3998 pp dbl. occ., (+ $1190 for sgl. occ.)
- 7/12-17 Price: $3998 pp dbl. occ., (+ $1190 for sgl. occ.)
- 7/14-19 Price: $3998 pp dbl. occ., (+ $1190 for sgl. occ.)
- 7/19-24 Price: $3998 pp dbl. occ., (+ $1190 for sgl. occ.)
- 7/21-26 Price: $3998 pp dbl. occ., (+ $1190 for sgl. occ.)
- 7/26-31 Price: $3998 pp dbl. occ., (+ $1190 for sgl. occ.)
- 8/2-7 Price: $3998 pp dbl. occ., (+ $1190 for sgl. occ.)
- 8/9-14 Price: $3998 pp dbl. occ., (+ $1190 for sgl. occ.)
- 8/16-21 Price: $3998 pp dbl. occ., (+ $1190 for sgl. occ.)
*Prices may change. Once you book your trip, your price is guaranteed.
Recommended Kids Ages
- Recommended minimum age for the trip: 9 years
- Minimum age restriction to ride own bike: 9 years
- Minimum age restriction to rock climb: 7 years
- Minimum restriction for zip-line excursion: height of 4.5 feet/140cm
- No Burleys or Piccolos available on this trip
General Info on Minimum Ages:We strongly encourage families to join our Family Trips, designed with kid- and adult-friendly features. Please note that we have a minimum age requirement of 1 year for all Inn trips and 2 years for all Camping trips. Other than that, we do not restrict trips to a minimum age except in the rare case of a hotel age restriction. We do, however, recommend minimum ages based on the following criteria:
- 12+ amount of cultural appreciation, difficulty of activities, routes
- 9+ difficulty of activities/activity age restrictions, routes
- 6+ several longer dinners, routes are difficult for pulling a Burley and therefore not appropriate for younger children, difficulty of activities/activity age restrictions
Private Trips Options & Pricing
Pricing for Private Trips (prices may vary based on departure date)
|2 - 3 guests from $6,598 pp dbl. occ.||8 - 9 guests from $4,898 pp dbl. occ.|
|4 - 5 guests from $5,798 pp dbl. occ.||10 - 11 guests from $4,298 pp dbl. occ.|
|6 - 7 guests from $5,198 pp dbl. occ.||12 or more guests from $3,998 pp dbl. occ.|
Guest Trip Reviews
This was the BEST vacation of our lives and we owe it all to Backroads and in particular our three leaders. We will definitely look to do another Backroads trip in the near future because of this experience.- Yarmouth, ME
We had an absolutely marvelous time. Our leaders were fabulous, fun and accommodating. We look forward to another Backroads trip in the future. Thanks for the great memories!!- Winnetka, IL
Our family really enjoyed the trip - it was really terrific for our kids! They loved the exercise, activities and the many options available. The leaders were outstanding - very thoughtful and courteous. It was a memorable vacation.- Kentfield, CA