Ready to play? The Swiss Alps are waiting. Soar to majestic peaks on gondolas and funiculars. Ride cog wheel trains and cable cars to charming towns. Spin past glacier-fed waterfalls, hike through green valleys and ferry across alpine lakes. Try Trotti bikes and luge tracks. Learn the secrets of the alphorn and the world's best fondue. And after a day of adventure, wind down in luxurious chalets, hot chocolate in hand. It's Switzerland's playground - come explore!
We want to make sure you're on the right trip and that you have the best experience possible. Every Backroads trip is unique and this one is no exception.
Terrain & ShuttlesFor the best riding in Switzerland, we've chosen a combination of small, quiet roads and some unpaved bike paths with short stretches of limited van support. Our bikes are equipped with slightly wider tires to accommodate the paths and trail surfaces.
Day 1 Fresh mountain air amid glaciers, meadows and impossibly blue lakes Commute the Swiss way: by chairlift! Hike on a ridge above Lake Oeschinen, where snowy peaks cap limestone cliffs Ready for a cup of cocoa? It's already steaming at the traditional alpine hut.
Day 2 Ride past the turquoise waters of Lake Thun en route to Interlaken Easy pedaling leads past cheery wooden chalets to lakeside Spiez Hop aboard a cog railway train bound for Grindelwald An alphorn serenade: music to a cow's ears and perhaps yours too.
Day 3 The famed Eiger, Mönch and Jungfrau towering above the emerald-green landscape Hike from First Peak to Bachalpsee, one of Switzerland's most beautiful lakes Kids are all smiles - is it due to the Pfingstegg toboggan run, a thrilling summer luge ride, or the Seilpark, a challenging high ropes course? Adults explore the mountain resort of Grindelwald Let loose on an exhilarating descent by Trotti bikes into Grindelwald Valley.
Day 4 Fairy tale-perfect Swiss villages Pedal in the idyllic Lauterbrunnen Valley, home to more glacier-fed waterfalls than you can count Be awed by the sight of magnificent Trummelbach Falls, set deep inside a slot canyon Spin to turquoise Lake Brienz, then ferry to Giessbach.
Days 5-6 Tour a historic water-powered sawmill, built in 1896 Hike along the river that drains the mighty Rosenlaui Glacier Kids take to the water on kayaks while adults see stunning Reichenbach Falls Amble through the peaceful forest of Iseltwald.
- Fresh alpine air amid glaciers, meadows and impossibly blue lakes
- Rides through archetypal Swiss villages with cheery wooden chalets
- Pedal or take a scenic train ride along turquoise Lake Thun
- Kids speed down the mountain in an authentic luge
- Feast on fondue to your heart's content
Belle Epoque Hotel Victoria (1 night): Nestled in the heart of town, this family-run alpine oasis is surrounded by stunning snowcapped peaks. (pool, tennis)
Romantik Hotel Schweizerhof (2 nights): Catch stunning views of Eiger's north face form this luxurious chalet-style hotel. (pool, spa)
Grandhotel Giessbach (2 nights): Elegance and old-world charm reign at this turreted beauty in a picturesque setting by Lake Brienz and the Giessbach Falls. (pool, tennis)
Every Backroads trip is designed to appeal to a wide variety of
interests and fitness levels. We know your pace may vary from one
day to the next-and your traveling companion's may differ somewhat
from yours. So we present a range of mileage options, and each
day you decide exactly what and how much you want to do.
Routes For All Abilities
|Daily Route Options|
|Level 1||Level 2||Level 3||Level 4||Level 5|
|miles||feet gain||miles||feet gain||miles||feet gain||miles||feet gain||miles||feet gain|
|Kids||Ropes Course or Summer Luge (2 Hours)|
|Kids||Kayaking on Lake Brienz (2 Hours)|
To make for the most comfortable ride to this particular trip, we've outfitted our titanium road bike with slightly wider tires. You'll appreciate this on those stretches of the route with hard-packed dirt (approximately 5% dirt and 95% paved).
* Includes a shuttle
2015 Dates & Pricing*
- 7/5-10 Price: $4398 pp dbl. occ., (+ $590 for sgl. occ.)
- 7/12-17 Price: $4398 pp dbl. occ., (+ $590 for sgl. occ.)
- 7/19-24 Price: $4198 pp dbl. occ., (+ $590 for sgl. occ.)
- 8/2-7 Price: $4398 pp dbl. occ., (+ $590 for sgl. occ.)
- 8/9-14 Price: $4398 pp dbl. occ., (+ $590 for sgl. occ.)
- 8/16-21 Price: $4398 pp dbl. occ., (+ $590 for sgl. occ.)
*Prices may change. Once you book your trip, your price is guaranteed.
2016 Dates & Pricing*
- 6/12-17 Price: $4098 pp dbl. occ., (+ $700 for sgl. occ.)
- 6/19-24 Price: $4098 pp dbl. occ., (+ $700 for sgl. occ.)
- 6/26-7/1 Price: $4098 pp dbl. occ., (+ $700 for sgl. occ.)
- 7/3-8 Price: $4098 pp dbl. occ., (+ $700 for sgl. occ.)
- 7/10-15 Price: $4098 pp dbl. occ., (+ $700 for sgl. occ.)
- 7/17-22 Price: $4098 pp dbl. occ., (+ $700 for sgl. occ.)
- 7/24-29 Price: $4098 pp dbl. occ., (+ $700 for sgl. occ.)
- 7/31-8/5 Price: $4098 pp dbl. occ., (+ $700 for sgl. occ.)
- 8/7-12 Price: $4098 pp dbl. occ., (+ $700 for sgl. occ.)
- 8/14-19 Price: $4098 pp dbl. occ., (+ $700 for sgl. occ.)
- 8/21-26 Price: $4098 pp dbl. occ., (+ $700 for sgl. occ.)
*Prices may change. Once you book your trip, your price is guaranteed.
Recommended Kids Ages
- Recommended minimum age for the trip: 9 years
- Minimum age restriction to ride own bike: 7 years
General Info on Minimum Ages:We strongly encourage families to join our Family Trips, designed with kid- and adult-friendly features. Please note that we have a minimum age requirement of 1 year for all Inn trips and 2 years for all Camping trips. Other than that, we do not restrict trips to a minimum age except in the rare case of a hotel age restriction. We do, however, recommend minimum ages based on the following criteria:
- 12+ amount of cultural appreciation, difficulty of activities, routes
- 9+ difficulty of activities/activity age restrictions, routes
- 6+ several longer dinners, routes are difficult for pulling a Burley Cub trailer and therefore not appropriate for younger children, difficulty of activities/activity age restrictions
Private Trips Options & Pricing
Gather your favorite people to share a Backroads adventure on a ready-to-book Private Trip - featuring all the legendary Backroads hallmarks from expert leaders to unforgettable activities.
You can pick from a large selection of dates for your group of 8 or more. Call us for date availability.
If your party has fewer than 8 guests, or if your preferred date is not available, we'll create a departure just for you.
Pricing for Private Trips (prices may vary based on departure date)
|2 - 3 guests from $6,798 pp dbl. occ.||8 - 9 guests from $4,998 pp dbl. occ.|
|4 - 5 guests from $5,998 pp dbl. occ.||10 - 11 guests from $4,298 pp dbl. occ.|
|6 - 7 guests from $5,398 pp dbl. occ.||12 or more guests from $3,998 pp dbl. occ.|
|2 - 3 guests from $6,898 pp dbl. occ.||8 - 9 guests from $4,998 pp dbl. occ.|
|4 - 5 guests from $5,898 pp dbl. occ.||10 - 11 guests from $4,398 pp dbl. occ.|
|6 - 7 guests from $5,298 pp dbl. occ.||12 or more guests from $4,098 pp dbl. occ.|
Please note: Youth savings do not apply to Private Trips.
Guest Trip Reviews
The memories of this trip for me and my son will last forever. Backroads took great care of all the details and everything ran very smoothly. Backroads even supplied gorgeous weather for the entire trip. Way to go! We will be back!- Millbrae, CA
I am looking forward to my next trip. This was our first family trip and I think that all of us had such a great time and for different reasons - friendships, adventures, doing things we have never done before. We will all remember the Alps!- Naperville, IL
I cannot say enough about what a great job the leaders did on this trip. They were great with the children and a pleasure to be around. If they weren't playing capture the flag with the kids they were helping the adults. You are fortunate to have such personable, knowledgeable, fun, and dedicated people in your organization.- Chagrin Falls, OH