Pedal past majestic mountains. Kayak alongside beluga whales. Revel in superb wine, fresh apple cider and elegant Québec City. Yes, there are châteaux here - you'll stay in one - and gourmet cuisine and rich transatlantic culture. But complementing the refinement is a palpable sense of adventure, pushing boundaries, exploration, fun. Québec's untamable spirit. The glacier-carved fjords, wooded capes and arctic tundra exude it. The St. Lawrence Iroquoians and Jacques Cartier felt it. Now it's your turn.
Days 1-2 Explore Tadoussac, Canada's oldest village, set on a crescent harbor Hike through a lush forest of sugar maple, elm, pine and birch along the winding Colline de L'Anse a Barque trail Climb to the crest of a hill where we savor sweeping views of Saguenay Fjord Ride to the remarkable Tadoussac sand dunes for family fun on the beach Kayak the mighty St. Lawrence River alongside the vibrant marine life that calls this waterway home.
Days 3-4 Whales at two o'clock! Look for breaching beluga, minke and fin whales during a boat ride with a naturalist Hike along the beautiful Baie des Rochers (Rocky Bay), a hidden gem on the St. Lawrence River, where low tide reveals starfish and sea urchins clinging to the rocks Ferry to Isle-aux-Coudres for an idyllic spin past stone cottages, historic churches and picturesque farmland Visit Papeterie St. Gilles, a paper mill that uses cotton to produce their unique products Learn about the region's colorful nautical legacy at the open-air Charlevoix Maritime Museum.
Days 5-6 Historic Québec City, North America's only remaining fortified city, with impressive architecture and a rich French heritage The youngsters shuttle to Mont Ste-Anne to enjoy fun-filled canyoneering in waterfalls Adults pedal around Île d'Orléans, a delightfully bucolic little island Kids don their chef hats and aprons for a cooking lesson while adults explore old Québec on a historic walking tour of town.
- Ride bucolic roads, stopping to visit artisans, organic farmers and a cider house
- Kayak along the mighty St. Lawrence River
- Hikes in the World Biosphere Reserve of Charlevoix
- Kids have their own fun during a cooking class
- Historic Québec City, with impressive architecture and French heritage
Premiere & Casual Inns
Hotel Tadoussac (2 nights): A simple historic hotel selected for its scenic location above the Saguenay Fjord and close proximity to first-rate whale-watching and hiking trails. (pool, spa)
Fairmont Le Manoir Richelieu (2 nights): Nestled majestically between sea and mountains, this "Castle on the Cliff" combines quiet countryside charm with world-class elegance. (pool, spa, golf)
Auberge Saint-Antoine (1 night): Located in a former 17th-century warehouse and skillfully blending history and modern sophistication, a splendid property with 300-year-old beams, slate floors and artifacts discovered during construction. A Relais & Châteaux member.
Every Backroads trip is designed to appeal to a wide variety of
interests and fitness levels. We know your pace may vary from one
day to the next-and your traveling companion's may differ somewhat
from yours. So we present a range of mileage options, and each
day you decide exactly what and how much you want to do.
Routes For All Abilities
|Daily Route Options|
|Level 1||Level 2||Level 3||Level 4||Level 5|
|miles||feet gain||miles||feet gain||miles||feet gain||miles||feet gain||miles||feet gain|
|Kayaking||on the St. Lawrence River (3 Hours)|
|Other||Whale Watching Excursion (2.5 Hours)|
|Other||Musée Maritime de Charlevoix Visit (30 Minutes)|
|Kids||Canyoneering at Mont Sainte Anne|
|Other||Historic Walking Tour of Old Québec (2.5 Hours)|
|Kids||Cooking Class at College Merici (1.5 Hours)|
* Includes a shuttle
2015 Dates & Pricing*
- 6/21-26 Price: $2998 pp dbl. occ., (+ $670 for sgl. occ.)
- 6/28-7/3 Price: $2998 pp dbl. occ., (+ $670 for sgl. occ.)
- 7/12-17 Price: $3198 pp dbl. occ., (+ $670 for sgl. occ.)
- 7/19-24 Price: $2998 pp dbl. occ., (+ $670 for sgl. occ.)
- 8/2-7 Price: $2998 pp dbl. occ., (+ $670 for sgl. occ.)
- 8/9-14 Price: $2998 pp dbl. occ., (+ $670 for sgl. occ.)
- 8/16-21 Price: $2998 pp dbl. occ., (+ $670 for sgl. occ.)
- 8/23-28 Price: $2998 pp dbl. occ., (+ $670 for sgl. occ.)
*Prices may change. Once you book your trip, your price is guaranteed.
Recommended Kids Ages
- Recommended minimum age for the trip: 6 years
- Minimum age restriction to ride own bike: 9 years
- Minimum age restriction for canyoneering, whalewatching and kayaking: 6 years
- No Burleys available on this trip
General Info on Minimum Ages:We strongly encourage families to join our Family Trips, designed with kid- and adult-friendly features. Please note that we have a minimum age requirement of 1 year for all Inn trips and 2 years for all Camping trips. Other than that, we do not restrict trips to a minimum age except in the rare case of a hotel age restriction. We do, however, recommend minimum ages based on the following criteria:
- 12+ amount of cultural appreciation, difficulty of activities, routes
- 9+ difficulty of activities/activity age restrictions, routes
- 6+ several longer dinners; routes are difficult for pulling a Burley and therefore not appropriate for younger children; difficulty of activities/activity age restrictions
Private Trips Options & Pricing
Pricing for Private Trips (prices may vary based on departure date)
|2 - 3 guests from $5,498 pp dbl. occ.||8 - 9 guests from $3,798 pp dbl. occ.|
|4 - 5 guests from $4,498 pp dbl. occ.||10 - 11 guests from $3,298 pp dbl. occ.|
|6 - 7 guests from $4,098 pp dbl. occ.||12 or more guests from $2,998 pp dbl. occ.|
Guest Trip Reviews
I cannot say enough about the fantastic time my family and I had this past week on our Québec trip. It is almost 1 in the morning and time to hit the hay, but I am still coming off such a wonderful high that I didn't want to go to sleep until I shared my feelings. Sometimes everything just lines up...the weather, the people, the food, the moment in time when all is at peace. When Backroads takes over, you know you don't have to worry. The company stands for quality and you came through again. I am impressed with the talent you hire. I feel it is a one-week show and all the actors know their parts. You have a well-oiled machine and we just have to show up. We are hooked! It is only where and when we will be together again.- Plantation, FL