It's a jungle out there. And you're gonna love it! What's not to adore about this carefree, fun-filled, action-packed multisport adventure? It's loaded with opportunities for bird-watching, wildlife-spotting, boat rides, beach time, cultural immersion and more. Special activities like snorkeling, pedaling and paddling are sure to be a hit with the younger set. Grown-ups will appreciate the chance to kick back and relax at welcoming tropical retreats. Best of all, you and your family are free to discover, learn, laugh and savor your Panama experience as it unfolds!
Day 1 Visit an indigenous Emberá village and learn about this community's culture and traditional cuisine Imagine you've stepped into the pages of National Geographic while cruising up the fabled Chagres River in a motorized dug-out canoe Marvel at the Panama Canal, a 100-year-old engineering feat of epic proportions Find out about the canal's historical significance, its construction and watershed during a private guided tour of the Miraflores Locks museum.
Days 2-3 Take a scenic flight to David in western Panama and journey into the vaulting Cordillera Central mountain range Trek through the mist-shrouded cloud forest of Boquete - perhaps hearing the roar of howler monkeys reverberate through the primordial greenery Tour and taste at Finca Lérida, a historic shade-grown coffee plantation Junior explorers whoop it up at a kids-only dinner while grown-ups savor gourmet cuisine at Panamonte Inn & Spa.
Days 4-6 Snorkel among coral reefs in the Pacific and relax at resplendent tropical retreats Descend by bike into the heart of the Chiriquí province, passing through coffee plantations and small towns set against a backdrop of towering volcanoes Boat from Pedregal to Boca Chica, where you'll find your own piece of tropical heaven at a sublimely secluded eco-lodge Bask on a hidden beach and snorkel in the crystalline sanctuary of sea turtles, dolphins and colorful reef fish in the pristine Chiriquí Gulf National Marine Park Greet the morning with a kayak trip through the mangrove of Boca Chica before we fly back to Panama City.
- Admire the awesome Panama Canal, a 100-year-old engineering marvel of epic proportions
- Discover Panama's enthralling history and gloriously rich indigenous cultures
- Savor Boquete's cool highland air as you hike and bike in the realm of the mighty Barú Volcano
- Zip-line through the cloud forest before sampling the goods at a well-known coffee plantation
- Snorkel in stunning Chiriquí Gulf National Marine Park and relax at resplendent tropical retreats
Gamboa Rainforest Resort (1 night): Bordering wildlife-rich Soberanía National Park, this stunning former residence of the Panama Canal's administrators has been restored to its 1930s splendor. (pool, spa)
Panamonte Inn & Spa (2 nights): Since its opening in 1914, this charming Colonial-style hotel—with beautiful gardens and a cool, comfortable setting at 4,000 feet—has hosted such notable guests as Teddy Roosevelt and Charles Lindbergh. (spa)
Bocas del Mar (2 nights): A boutique hotel with contemporary-styled bungalows set amid gardens just steps from the water's edge. (pool)
Every Backroads trip is designed to appeal to a wide variety of
interests and fitness levels. We know your pace may vary from one
day to the next-and your traveling companion's may differ somewhat
from yours. So we present a range of mileage options, and each
day you decide exactly what and how much you want to do.
Routes For All Abilities
|Daily Route Options|
|Level 1||Level 2||Level 3||Level 4||Level 5|
|miles||feet gain||miles||feet gain||miles||feet gain||miles||feet gain||miles||feet gain|
|1||Other||Miraflores Locks Guided Tour (1 Hour)|
|Other||Embera Community Visit (3 Hours)|
|Other||Optional Zip-Lining (2 Hours)|
|Kids||Rock Climbing (2 Hours)|
|5||Other||Boat & Snorkeling Excursion (5 Hours)|
|Other||Optional Afternoon Activities|
|6||Kayaking||Around Boca Chica (2 Hours)|
On this trip, we'll be using titanium mountain bikes that are just right for the non-technical dirt road riding as well as the paved riding. (approximately 5% dirt and 95% paved).
* Includes a shuttle
2014 Dates & Pricing*
- 12/23-28 Price: $4198 pp dbl. occ., (+ $710 for sgl. occ.), Internal Air: $310
- 12/25-30 Price: $4198 pp dbl. occ., (+ $710 for sgl. occ.), Internal Air: $310
- 12/27-1/1 Price: $4198 pp dbl. occ., (+ $710 for sgl. occ.), Internal Air: $310
- 12/29-1/3 Price: $4198 pp dbl. occ., (+ $710 for sgl. occ.), Internal Air: $310
*Prices may change. Once you book your trip, your price is guaranteed.
2015 Dates & Pricing*
- 3/15-20 Price: $3798 pp dbl. occ., (+ $710 for sgl. occ.), Internal Air: $310
- 3/29-4/3 Price: $3598 pp dbl. occ., (+ $710 for sgl. occ.), Internal Air: $310
- 12/22-27 Price: $3798 pp dbl. occ., (+ $710 for sgl. occ.), Internal Air: $310
- 12/24-29 Price: $3798 pp dbl. occ., (+ $710 for sgl. occ.), Internal Air: $310
- 12/28-1/2 Price: $3798 pp dbl. occ., (+ $710 for sgl. occ.), Internal Air: $310
*Prices may change. Once you book your trip, your price is guaranteed.
Recommended Kids Ages
- Recommended minimum age for the trip: 9 years
- Minimum age restriction to ride own bike: 9 years
- Minimum age restriction to kayak and snorkel: 7 years
- No Burleys available on this trip
General Info on Minimum Ages:We strongly encourage families to join our Family Trips, designed with kid- and adult-friendly features. Please note that we have a minimum age requirement of 1 year for all Inn trips and 2 years for all Camping trips. Other than that, we do not restrict trips to a minimum age except in the rare case of a hotel age restriction. We do, however, recommend minimum ages based on the following criteria:
- 12+ amount of cultural appreciation, difficulty of activities, routes
- 9+ difficulty of activities/activity age restrictions, routes
- 6+ several longer dinners; routes are difficult for pulling a Burley and therefore not appropriate for younger children; difficulty of activities/activity age restrictions
Private Trips Options & Pricing
Gather your favorite people to share a Backroads adventure on a ready-to-book Private Trip - featuring all the legendary Backroads hallmarks from expert leaders to unforgettable activities.
You can pick any open date for your group of 8 or more except for trips departing during the last two weeks of December, where a 16 guest minimum is required. Call us for date availability.
Pricing for Private Trips (prices may vary based on departure date)
|8 - 9 guests from $4,398 pp dbl. occ.||12 or more guests from $3,598 pp dbl. occ.|
|10 - 11 guests from $3,898 pp dbl. occ.|
For groups of 2 to 7 guests, please call for Custom Trip pricing.
Youth savings do not apply to Private Trips.
Guest Trip Reviews
One of the words that comes to mind when I think about Panama is "diversity." For such a small country, the array of landscapes, plants and animals here is truly astonishing! And I think our Panama Multisport trips, with their great blend of activities - biking, hiking, snorkeling, boating, naturalist-guided outings, and more - offer the ideal introduction to such variety. In fact, you'll probably come away from your trip having done and seen more with Backroads in six days than you'd experience in a couple weeks on your own!- Regional Manager, Latin America