There's no place like the Florida Keys. And your family's adventure will be just as unique. There are gators in the swamps and characters on the streets. Wetlands to explore and glass-bottom boats to ride in. Bike paths in the sun. Wondrous wildlife to witness. And wild stories to hear. Only in the Florida Keys..
We want to make sure you're on the right trip and that you have the best experience possible. Every Backroads trip is unique and this one is no exception.
TerrainThe Keys' narrow islands are connected by the Florida Keys Overseas Heritage Trail, which allows us to travel through them on dedicated bike paths. These paths are flat—perfect for laid-back spins—and run parallel to the highway. Please note that cars will typically be within view and you'll occasionally have to cross the main road.
Weather & ActivitiesWater activities in the Keys are weather dependent. In the case of bad weather, alternative activities will be planned. In colder months, the water temperatures average 70 degrees, and wetsuits will be available.
On-Your-Own ActivitiesDuring the trip there will be time for you to enjoy some of the Keys' signature activities, such as paddleboarding, fishing, parasailing, Jet Skiing or scuba diving. These options are often a highlight for those who choose to participate. Since they're not always to everyone's liking, however, they have not been included in the cost of your trip. As with other Backroads trips rated 12, if you decide not to take part in an optional activity, it simply means more time to enjoy the hotels or explore the area on your own.
Day 1 Stroll on an elevated boardwalk above wetlands in Everglades National Park —look out for alligators! Bike into the heart of the park for an off-road view of endangered pine savannah With an interpretive guide, venture through the fascinating swamp habitat of a cypress dome and learn more about the rare flora and fauna that call this delicate ecosystem home Travel from the Everglades to Islamorada, where sea, sand and fun await.
Days 2-3 Ever hand-fed a wild giant tarpon? Now's your chance! Enjoy shallow-water snorkeling at a protected coral reef or view this colorful undersea world from a glass-bottomed boat Maybe you'll spot the submerged remains of an early Spanish shipwreck just offshore Kids learn to fish like the locals and partake in pizza making Kayak to the small island of Indian Key, where you can explore on foot and still view the overgrown ruins of a 19th-century town.
Days 4-6 Pedal along the Overseas Heritage Trail Snorkel in the Florida Keys National Marine Sanctuary, home to the world's third largest coral reef You might even see dolphins during the boat ride to and from the reef The youngsters head to the Turtle Hospital to meet, feed and learn about endangered sea turtles Check out a few of Hemingway's old haunts on a walking tour in Key West's historic district Looking for the most classic way to end the day on the island? Join the party at the nightly Sunset Festival, brimming with street performers and local artisans.
- Ride and walk in the Everglades, a World Heritage site and International Biosphere Reserve—there's no other environment like it on Earth!
- Keep an eye out for marine life as you kayak on luminescent turquoise waters to a beautiful coral island
- Easygoing activities, like pedaling on flat dedicated bike paths, let you relax and soak in the warm breezes
- Kids look for alligators in the Everglades and parrotfish in the Florida Keys Marine Sanctuary
- Enjoy off-the-beaten-path historic and cultural encounters known only to locals
Cheeca Lodge & Spa (2 nights): Part of the Islamorada scene since 1946, this amenity-rich beachside resort is set on 27 lush acres and offers a 9-hole Jack Nicklaus-designed golf course. (pool, spa, tennis, golf)
Hawks Cay Resort (1 night): Ease into island life as you savor superb vistas at this elegant resort just steps from the Atlantic Ocean. (pool, spa, tennis)
Ocean Key Resort & Spa (2 nights): Superbly located at the foot of Mallory Square, the epicenter of the famous nightly sunset festival. Travel + Leisure World's Best. (pool, spa)
Every Backroads trip is designed to appeal to a wide variety of
interests and fitness levels. We know your pace may vary from one
day to the next-and your traveling companion's may differ somewhat
from yours. So we present a range of mileage options, and each
day you decide exactly what and how much you want to do.
Routes For All Abilities
|Daily Route Options|
|Level 1||Level 2||Level 3||Level 4||Level 5|
|miles||feet gain||miles||feet gain||miles||feet gain||miles||feet gain||miles||feet gain|
|2||Other||Snorkeling Excursion or Glass-Bottom Boat Tour (2.5 Hours)|
|Other||Optional Kayaking or Fishing|
|Kayaking||Around Indian Key (2.5 Hours)|
|Other||Kids: Turtle Hospital Visit (1.5 Hours)|
|5||Other||Snorkeling Excursion (3 Hours)|
|Other||Optional Fishing, Parasailing or Jet Skiing|
|6||Other||Walking Tour of Key West (2.5 Hours)|
To make for the most comfortable ride to this particular trip, we've outfitted our titanium road bike with slightly wider tires.
2015 Dates & Pricing*
- 12/21-26 Price: $4398 pp dbl. occ., (+ $1420 for sgl. occ.)
- 12/26-31 Price: $4198 pp dbl. occ., (+ $1420 for sgl. occ.)
- 12/28-1/2 Price: $4198 pp dbl. occ., (+ $1420 for sgl. occ.)
*Prices may change. Once you book your trip, your price is guaranteed.
2016 Dates & Pricing*
- 2/14-19 Price: $3998 pp dbl. occ., (+ $1520 for sgl. occ.)
- 3/6-11 Price: $3998 pp dbl. occ., (+ $1520 for sgl. occ.)
- 3/13-18 Price: $3998 pp dbl. occ., (+ $1520 for sgl. occ.)
- 3/20-25 Price: $4198 pp dbl. occ., (+ $1520 for sgl. occ.)
- 3/27-4/1 Price: $3998 pp dbl. occ., (+ $1520 for sgl. occ.)
- 4/3-8 Price: $3998 pp dbl. occ., (+ $1520 for sgl. occ.)
- 4/10-15 Price: $3998 pp dbl. occ., (+ $1520 for sgl. occ.)
- 12/20-25 Price: $4398 pp dbl. occ., (+ $1520 for sgl. occ.)
- 12/22-27 Price: $4398 pp dbl. occ., (+ $1520 for sgl. occ.)
- 12/24-29 Price: $4398 pp dbl. occ., (+ $1520 for sgl. occ.)
- 12/26-31 Price: $4398 pp dbl. occ., (+ $1520 for sgl. occ.)
- 12/28-1/2 Price: $4398 pp dbl. occ., (+ $1520 for sgl. occ.)
*Prices may change. Once you book your trip, your price is guaranteed.
Recommended Kids Ages
- Recommended minimum age for the trip: 6 years
- Minimum age to ride own bike: 9 years
General Info on Minimum Ages:We strongly encourage families to join our Family Trips, designed with kid- and adult-friendly features. Please note that we have a minimum age requirement of 1 year for all Inn trips and 2 years for all Camping Trips. Other than that, we do not restrict trips to a minimum age except in the rare case of a hotel age restriction. We do, however, recommend minimum ages based on the following criteria:
- 12+ cultural appreciation, difficulty/restrictions of activities and route
- 9+ several long adult dinners; difficulty/restrictions of activities and route
- 6+ several long adult dinners; parent may not be able to pull a Burley and/or there may be multiple activity restrictions
Private Trips Options & Pricing
Gather your favorite people to share a Backroads adventure on a ready-to-book Private Trip - featuring all the legendary Backroads hallmarks from expert leaders to unforgettable activities.
You can pick any open date for your group of 8 or more except for trips departing during the last two weeks of December, where a 16 guest minimum is required. Call us for date availability.
Pricing for Private Trips (prices may vary based on departure date)
|2 - 3 guests from $6,098 pp dbl. occ.||8 - 9 guests from $4,498 pp dbl. occ.|
|4 - 5 guests from $5,098 pp dbl. occ.||10 - 11 guests from $4,098 pp dbl. occ.|
|6 - 7 guests from $4,698 pp dbl. occ.||12 or more guests from $3,798 pp dbl. occ.|
|2 - 3 guests from $6,798 pp dbl. occ.||8 - 9 guests from $4,898 pp dbl. occ.|
|4 - 5 guests from $5,598 pp dbl. occ.||10 - 11 guests from $4,298 pp dbl. occ.|
|6 - 7 guests from $5,098 pp dbl. occ.||12 or more guests from $3,998 pp dbl. occ.|
Youth savings do not apply to Private Trips.
Guest Trip Reviews
What if we told you there's a way for your family to escape the winter blues - without leaving the continental United States? A place where you and the kids can snorkel through colorful reefs, enjoy laid-back bike rides, kayak through crystal-clear waters and immerse yourselves in a unique and vibrant culture? We'll have all of this - and more! - waiting for you in Florida's Everglades and the Keys.- Regional Manager, North America