In the water. Over the water. Under it, around it. Paddle on it, pedal above it. Plunge into it, sharing the experience with kaleidoscopic fish and maybe even sea turtles. Watch the sun set over it from the southernmost point in the country. How do you enjoy the true Keys to happiness? It's easyjust add water.
We want to make sure you're on the right trip and that you have the best experience possible. Every Backroads trip is unique and this one is no exception.
TerrainThe Keys' narrow islands are connected by the Florida Keys Overseas Heritage Trail, which allows us to travel through them on dedicated bike paths. These paths are flatperfect for laid-back spinsand run parallel to the highway. Please note that cars will typically be within view and you'll occasionally have to cross the main road.
Weather & ActivitiesWater activities in the Keys are weather dependent. In the case of bad weather, alternative activities will be planned. In colder months, the water temperatures average 70 degrees, and wetsuits will be available.
On-Your-Own ActivitiesDuring the trip there will be time for you to enjoy some of the Keys' signature activities, such as paddleboarding, fishing, parasailing, Jet Skiing or scuba diving. These options are often a highlight for those who choose to participate. Since they're not always to everyone's liking, however, they have not been included in the cost of your trip. As with other Backroads trips rated 12, if you decide not to take part in an optional activity, it simply means more time to enjoy the hotels or explore the area on your own.
Day 1 Stroll on an elevated boardwalk above wetlands in Everglades National Park with the chance of seeing spoonbills, egrets and alligators exhilaratingly close Bike into the heart of the park for an off-road view of endangered pine savannah Venture through the fascinating swamp habitat of a cypress dome Look for wading birds in the mangroves as we travel from the Everglades to Islamorada.
Days 2-3 Love seafood? You'll taste some of the best here in the Keys Enjoy shallow-water snorkeling at a protected coral reef or view this colorful undersea world from a glass-bottomed boat Maybe you'll spot the submerged remains of an early Spanish shipwreck just offshore Kayak to the small island of Indian Key, where you can explore on foot and still view the overgrown ruins of a 19th-century town Ever hand-fed a wild giant tarpon? Now's your chance!
Days 4-6 Pedal along the Overseas Heritage Trail Snorkel in the Florida Keys National Marine Sanctuary, home to the world's third largest coral reef You might even see dolphins during the boat ride to and from the reef Check out a few of Hemingway's old haunts on a walking tour in Key West's historic district Looking for the most classic way to end the day on the island? Join the revelers at the nightly Sunset Festival, brimming with street performers and local artisans.
- Ride and walk in the Everglades, a World Heritage site and International Biosphere Reservethere's no other environment like it on Earth!
- Keep an eye out for marine life as you kayak on luminescent turquoise waters to a beautiful coral island
- Rub elbows with colorful Key West characters at the nightly festival on Mallory Square
- Easygoing activities, like pedaling on flat dedicated bike paths, let you relax and soak in the warm breezes at a leisurely pace
- Enjoy unique, off-the-beaten-path historic and cultural encounters known only to locals
Casa Morada (2 nights): A Caribbean-chic resort featuring award-wining gardens and access to a private island with a pool and stunning views over the Gulf of Mexico from the bar terrace. (pool)
Hawks Cay Resort (1 night): Ease into island life as you savor superb vistas at this elegant resort just steps from the Atlantic Ocean. (pool, spa, tennis)
Ocean Key Resort & Spa (2 nights): Superbly located at the foot of Mallory Square, the epicenter of the famous nightly sunset festival. Travel + Leisure World's Best. (pool, spa)
Every Backroads trip is designed to appeal to a wide variety of
interests and fitness levels. We know your pace may vary from one
day to the next-and your traveling companion's may differ somewhat
from yours. So we present a range of mileage options, and each
day you decide exactly what and how much you want to do.
Routes For All Abilities
|Daily Route Options|
|Level 1||Level 2||Level 3||Level 4||Level 5|
|miles||feet gain||miles||feet gain||miles||feet gain||miles||feet gain||miles||feet gain|
|Other||Snorkeling Excursion or Glass-Bottom Boat Tour (2.5 Hours)|
|Kayaking||around Indian Key (2.5 Hours)|
|Other||Pigeon Key Historical Visit (1 Hour)|
|5||Other||Snorkeling Excursion (3 Hours)|
|Other||Optional Fishing, Parasailing and Jet Skiing|
|6||Other||Walking Tour of Key West (2.5 Hours)|
To make for the most comfortable ride to this particular trip, we've outfitted our titanium road bike with slightly wider tires.
2015 Dates & Pricing*
- 12/19-24 Price: $3698 pp dbl. occ., (+ $1440 for sgl. occ.)
*Prices may change. Once you book your trip, your price is guaranteed.
2016 Dates & Pricing*
- 1/10-15 Price: $3898 pp dbl. occ., (+ $1440 for sgl. occ.)
- 1/17-22 Price: $3898 pp dbl. occ., (+ $1440 for sgl. occ.)
- 1/24-29 Price: $3898 pp dbl. occ., (+ $1440 for sgl. occ.)
- 1/31-2/5 Price: $3898 pp dbl. occ., (+ $1440 for sgl. occ.)
- 2/9-14 Price: $3898 pp dbl. occ., (+ $1440 for sgl. occ.)
- 2/16-21 Price: $3898 pp dbl. occ., (+ $1440 for sgl. occ.)
- 2/21-26 Price: $3898 pp dbl. occ., (+ $1440 for sgl. occ.)
- 3/8-13 Price: $3898 pp dbl. occ., (+ $1440 for sgl. occ.)
- 3/22-27 Price: $3898 pp dbl. occ., (+ $1440 for sgl. occ.)
- 3/29-4/3 Price: $3898 pp dbl. occ., (+ $1440 for sgl. occ.)
- 4/5-10 Price: $3898 pp dbl. occ., (+ $1440 for sgl. occ.)
- 4/17-22 Price: $3898 pp dbl. occ., (+ $1440 for sgl. occ.)
- 11/20-25 Price: $3898 pp dbl. occ., (+ $1440 for sgl. occ.)
- 12/4-9 Price: $4098 pp dbl. occ., (+ $1440 for sgl. occ.)
- 12/18-23 Price: $4098 pp dbl. occ., (+ $1440 for sgl. occ.)
- 12/30-1/4 Price: $4098 pp dbl. occ., (+ $1440 for sgl. occ.)
*Prices may change. Once you book your trip, your price is guaranteed.
Private Trips Options & Pricing
Gather your favorite people to share a Backroads adventure on a ready-to-book Private Trip - featuring all the legendary Backroads hallmarks from expert leaders to unforgettable activities.
You can pick any open date for your group of 8 or more except for trips departing during the last two weeks of December, where a 16 guest minimum is required. Call us for date availability.
Pricing for Private Trips (prices may vary based on departure date)
|2 - 3 guests from $5,798 pp dbl. occ.||8 - 9 guests from $4,298 pp dbl. occ.|
|4 - 5 guests from $4,998 pp dbl. occ.||10 - 11 guests from $3,798 pp dbl. occ.|
|6 - 7 guests from $4,598 pp dbl. occ.||12 or more guests from $3,498 pp dbl. occ.|
|2 - 3 guests from $6,798 pp dbl. occ.||8 - 9 guests from $4,798 pp dbl. occ.|
|4 - 5 guests from $5,598 pp dbl. occ.||10 - 11 guests from $4,198 pp dbl. occ.|
|6 - 7 guests from $5,098 pp dbl. occ.||12 or more guests from $3,898 pp dbl. occ.|
Guest Trip Reviews
Ocean breezes, unrivaled snorkeling, incredible nightlife. There's no need to grab your passport - just join us on this brand new adventure in the Florida Keys! Pedaling and paddling your way from the Everglades through the islands and all the way to Key West...this just might be the perfect winter escape.- Regional Manager, North America