"It's so blue!" Don't be surprised if you hear this uttered at least once. And it may even be from your own mouth. Because Crater Lake really is that blue and containing your excitement is no small task. There's splashing and rafting on the rollicking Deschutes River. Lush forested river trails and majestic waterfalls in the Cascade Mountains. A bumper boat adventure on crystalline waters. An overnight at the historic Crater Lake Lodge (some folks claim it has a resident ghost). Kid-size hikes and an option for adults to bike the crater's rim. Yes, it is so blue and you may also exclaim, "It's so fun!"
Days 1-2 Astonishing Crater Lake, the country's deepest lake - uniquely beautiful and seemingly undiscovered Pedal rolling terrain against a backdrop of thick conifer forests and the towering Cascade Range Cross into Crater Lake National Park and hike to the top of Garfield peak while kids head for the bumper boats Adults tackle the world-famous Crater Lake Rim ride, circling the lake and admiring its intense sapphire color and amazing clarity Each curve in the road brings another incredible vista, from the cinder cone of Wizard Island to the 9,000-foot-peak of Mount Scott Unwind at the lodge or continue to explore the spectacular landscape on foot The young in years enjoy and adult-free pizza dinner while the young at heart savor a delicious meal overlooking the lake.
Days 3-4 The Cascade Lakes Highway, a National Scenic Byway meandering through forests, lava fields and lake-dotted valleys Pedal in the shadow of Broken Top Mountain and the Three Sisters' volcanic peaks Elk Lake, with Mount Bachelor looming ahead, sets the stage for lunch Finish your ride at the lake or spin all the way to Bend, Oregon's outdoor adventure capital Welcome the challenge that those hills bring to your legs! Bike in the rolling Cascade foothills, savoring the fragrance of pines and more mountain views in every direction Embark on an adrenaline-pumping rafting trip down the Upper Deschutes River.
Days 5-6 Explore vibrant downtown Bend, packed with art galleries, cafés and microbreweries Bike through ranchlands and mountain landscapes Hike in a lush forest along the McKenzie River trail, stopping to rest in the mist of spectacular waterfalls Want to shift gears? Relax at a spa or go for an easygoing stroll through Drake Park Make your way to Clear Lake as you savor the views and reflect on an incredible adventure.
- Challenging routes amid magnificent scenery in Central Oregon's high country
- Skirt the rim of Crater Lake's world-famous caldera - one of Bicycling magazine's favorite rides
- Experience unsurpassed beauty along the rave-worthy Cascade Lakes Highway
- Ride in the shadow of Broken Top Mountain and the Three Sisters' volcanic peaks
- Make your way to Clear Lake, savor the views and reflect on an incredible adventure
Premiere & Casual Inns
Crater Lake Lodge (2 nights): Perched on the crater's rim, this classic national park lodge transports you to a bygone era.
Sunriver Resort (1 night): Situated in the pristine natural setting of the Cascade Range foothills, this top-notch resort is a mecca for outdoor enthusiasts, culinary aficionados and fun-loving families alike. (pool, spa, tennis, golf)
The Oxford Hotel (2 nights): A luxury boutique hotel ideally located amid the shops, galleries, cafés and brewpubs of lively downtown Bend.
Every Backroads trip is designed to appeal to a wide variety of
interests and fitness levels. We know your pace may vary from one
day to the next-and your traveling companion's may differ somewhat
from yours. So we present a range of mileage options, and each
day you decide exactly what and how much you want to do.
Routes For All Abilities
|Daily Route Options|
|Level 1||Level 2||Level 3||Level 4||Level 5|
|miles||feet gain||miles||feet gain||miles||feet gain||miles||feet gain||miles||feet gain|
|Rafting||Deschutes River Rafting Adventure (2 Hours)|
* Includes a shuttle
2015 Dates & Pricing*
- 7/7-12 Price: $2998 pp dbl. occ., (+ $760 for sgl. occ.)
- 7/14-19 Price: $2998 pp dbl. occ., (+ $760 for sgl. occ.)
- 7/21-26 Price: $2998 pp dbl. occ., (+ $760 for sgl. occ.)
- 7/28-8/2 Price: $2998 pp dbl. occ., (+ $760 for sgl. occ.)
- 8/4-9 Price: $2998 pp dbl. occ., (+ $760 for sgl. occ.)
- 8/11-16 Price: $2998 pp dbl. occ., (+ $760 for sgl. occ.)
- 8/18-23 Price: $2998 pp dbl. occ., (+ $760 for sgl. occ.)
*Prices may change. Once you book your trip, your price is guaranteed.
Recommended Kids Ages
- Recommended minimum age for the trip: 6 years
- Minimum age restriction to ride own bike: 9 years
- Minimum age restriction to raft: 6 years
General Info on Minimum Ages:We strongly encourage families to join our Family Trips, designed with kid- and adult-friendly features. Please note that we have a minimum age requirement of 1 year for all Inn trips and 2 years for all Camping trips. Other than that, we do not restrict trips to a minimum age except in the rare case of a hotel age restriction. We do, however, recommend minimum ages based on the following criteria:
- 12+ amount of cultural appreciation, difficulty of activities, routes
- 9+ difficulty of activities/activity age restrictions, routes
- 6+ several longer dinners; routes are difficult for pulling a Burley and therefore not appropriate for younger children; difficulty of activities/activity age restrictions
Private Trips Options & Pricing
Pricing for Private Trips (prices may vary based on departure date)
|2 - 3 guests from $4,798 pp dbl. occ.||8 - 9 guests from $3,698 pp dbl. occ.|
|4 - 5 guests from $4,198 pp dbl. occ.||10 - 11 guests from $3,298 pp dbl. occ.|
|6 - 7 guests from $3,898 pp dbl. occ.||12 or more guests from $2,998 pp dbl. occ.|
Guest Trip Reviews
This is your family's chance to experience incredible Crater Lake - "one of the 100 most beautiful places in the world," according to National Geographic. Off the bike, you'll enjoy hiking options to a breathtaking waterfall near popular McKenzie Pass and at Smith Rock, a rock-climbing mecca. And a rafting trip on the Upper Deschutes River is sure to get everyone's adrenaline going!- Regional Manager, North America