Few things in this world live up to the hype. But everything you've ever heard about Tuscany is true. It's not a destination. It's a sublime experience. Routes lined with cypress trees overlooking the patchwork vineyards will stop you on your bike. And no view will compare to that view. Until you round the next bend and see another. It's a wonder anyone ever finishes the rides. And that's only what you'll see; imagine the wines, the multitude of gelato flavors and the luxuries you'll discover.
Day 1 The quintessential Tuscan journey, offering the most scenic routes from Umbria to Chianti Sample fresh Umbrian specialties at an agriturismo before biking serene roads past olive orchards, farmhouses and acres of cheery sunflowers.
Days 2-3 Rolling hills and quiet roads with lakeside views lead to Cortona, beloved for its "Tuscan Sun" and top quality wines (Syrah is the specialty) Pedal north amid more picture-perfect sunflower fields Ahoy matey! Get set for a fun sailing lesson and cruise on Lake Trasimeno Explore Cortona with Backroads friend and local guide Giovanni Adreanni Roll through the Chiana Valley to Montepulciano (a favorite spot among The Twilight Saga: New Moon movie fans) Witness how falcons are trained at Il Falconiere, our luxurious Cortona abode.
Days 4-5 Onward to the heart of Tuscany - <i>andiamo!</i> Journey to Badia a Coltibuono (Abbey of the Good Harvest) for an exclusive honey tasting On two wheels, cruise the Chianti hills and valleys to the famed wine villages of Gaiole, Radda and Castellina Kids take Siena by storm with a scavenger hunt and pizza feast while grown-ups find the perfect trattoria for dinner The youngsters paint ceramics with local artisans - talk about a one-of-a-kind souvenir!
Day 6 A walk (or ride) on the wild side awaits - visit a unique sculpture garden just around the bend from Borgo Scopeto Savor our final Tuscan moments together, then say arrivederci to the countryside and new friends you've met along the way.
- Savor every fun-filled moment of this favorite Backroads family trip
- Pedal rolling hills and quiet roads - scenic kid-approved routes with ample shuttle support
- Soak up the Tuscan sun in classic Renaissance towns like Cortona and magical Montepulciano
- Pizza, gelato, fresh pasta, cheese and acclaimed regional wines...delicious flavors for palates of all ages
- A scavenger hunt, ceramics painting and a falconry demonstration are sure to captivate the younger set
Borgo dei Conti Resort (1 night):
Once a medieval fortress, this luxurious châteaux is set amongst manicured gardens and nestled in the Umbrian countryside. A Relais & Châteaux member. (pool, tennis)
Relais Il Falconiere (2 nights): A beautifully restored 17th-century villa featuring superb Michelin-starred dining. A Relais & Châteaux member. (pool, spa)
Relais Borgo Scopeto (2 nights): Owned by the Sienese cathedral in the 1200s, this elegant estate offers panoramic views of Siena and the Mangia Tower. (pool, spa, tennis)
Every Backroads trip is designed to appeal to a wide variety of
interests and fitness levels. We know your pace may vary from one
day to the next-and your traveling companion's may differ somewhat
from yours. So we present a range of mileage options, and each
day you decide exactly what and how much you want to do.
Routes For All Abilities
|Daily Route Options|
|Level 1||Level 2||Level 3||Level 4||Level 5|
|miles||feet gain||miles||feet gain||miles||feet gain||miles||feet gain||miles||feet gain|
|Kids: Activities at Lake Trasimeno|
|Adults: Cortona Guided Walking Tour|
|Kids: Cortona Scavenger Hunt|
|Kids: Falconry Course|
|Kids: Siena Photo Scavenger Hunt|
* Includes a shuttle
2015 Dates & Pricing*
- 6/7-12 Price: $4498 pp dbl. occ., (+ $990 for sgl. occ.)
- 6/21-26 Price: $4498 pp dbl. occ., (+ $990 for sgl. occ.)
- 7/5-10 Price: $4498 pp dbl. occ., (+ $990 for sgl. occ.)
- 7/12-17 Price: $4498 pp dbl. occ., (+ $990 for sgl. occ.)
- 7/19-24 Price: $4498 pp dbl. occ., (+ $990 for sgl. occ.)
- 7/26-31 Price: $4498 pp dbl. occ., (+ $990 for sgl. occ.)
- 8/2-7 Price: $4498 pp dbl. occ., (+ $990 for sgl. occ.)
- 8/9-14 Price: $4498 pp dbl. occ., (+ $990 for sgl. occ.)
- 8/16-21 Price: $4498 pp dbl. occ., (+ $990 for sgl. occ.)
- 8/23-28 Price: $4498 pp dbl. occ., (+ $990 for sgl. occ.)
*Prices may change. Once you book your trip, your price is guaranteed.
Recommended Kids Ages
- Recommended minimum age for the trip: 9 years
- Minimum age restriction to ride own bike: 9 years
- No Burleys available on this trip
General Info on Minimum Ages:We strongly encourage families to join our Family Trips, designed with kid- and adult-friendly features. Please note that we have a minimum age requirement of 1 year for all Inn trips and 2 years for all Camping trips. Other than that, we do not restrict trips to a minimum age except in the rare case of a hotel age restriction. We do, however, recommend minimum ages based on the following criteria:
- 12+ amount of cultural appreciation, difficulty of activities, routes
- 9+ difficulty of activities/activity age restrictions, routes
- 6+ several longer dinners; routes are difficult for pulling a Burley and therefore not appropriate for younger children; difficulty of activities/activity age restrictions
Private Trips Options & Pricing
Pricing for Private Trips (prices may vary based on departure date)
|2 - 3 guests from $6,898 pp dbl. occ.||8 - 9 guests from $5,398 pp dbl. occ.|
|4 - 5 guests from $6,098 pp dbl. occ.||10 - 11 guests from $4,798 pp dbl. occ.|
|6 - 7 guests from $5,598 pp dbl. occ.||12 or more guests from $4,498 pp dbl. occ.|
Guest Trip Reviews
Not only does this trip offer the quintessential Tuscan experience - with amazing cycling, wonderful food and wine, and an intimate look into the region's culture and history - it also features lots of activities designed specifically with families in mind. Over the years, our toughest critics (real kids!) have put this trip to the test. And every year, it has proven to be one of our most popular family adventures ever!- Regional Coordinator, Italy