Let's see. What a spa treatment feels like after a glorious day on two wheels. How exquisite our evening meal tastes after a brisk climb up Gibraltar Road. Let's see Ojai orange groves, palm trees and sunsets that just don't quit. Let's combine idyllic beaches with the Santa Ynez Mountains. Let's bring the best of bicycling with the best of everything. California sun. A foodie's paradise. Four Seasons service. Five Stars under starry nights. Olive oil and suntan lotions and cycling pants and surfboards and sand and all that Santa Barbara can offer. Let's, shall we?
Day 1 Cruise on a scenic bike path, enjoying sun, surf and pristine Santa Barbara beaches Pass through posh Montecito, a quintessentially California community with beautiful hillside estates overlooking the ocean Visit the Ty Warner Sea Center to learn more about the marine life of the Santa Barbara Channel Kids of all ages delight in riding the historic carousel at Chase Palm Waterfront Park Which is more stunning - the magnificent Spanish Revival-style architecture of the Santa Barbara County Courthouse or its luxuriant sunken tropical garden?
Day 2 Soak up the scene in Santa Barbara's "Funk Zone," filled with galleries, surf shops, a distillery and brewery, and some of the region's best wine-tasting rooms Head into the star-studded hills and pedal above the red-tiled roofs of Santa Barbara For even more inspiring vistas, take on "Gibraltar," a challenging but scenic route that's famous (or infamous!) among local riders Look for Blue Herons and Egrets at Andrée Clark Bird Refuge, a popular spot to view migratory waterfowl Visit Old Mission Santa Barbara, one of California's most iconic historic sites.
Day 3 The oasis of Ojai, a flower-filled "village" beneath the chaparral hills Ready to experience a "pink moment"? Keep an eye on the Topatopa Bluffs at sunset Groves of oranges and celebrated Pixie tangerines, nurseries and sprawling ranches line our route through Toro Canyon up into the Santa Ynez Mountains Kids surf the waves at Faria beach while adults spin along the shores of Lake Casitas en route to Foster Park Ride along the Ojai Valley Bike Path, which follows the Old Southern Pacific Railroad route Take a refreshing dip in one of the two pools at the Ojai Valley Inn and Spa - your muscles will thank you!
Days 4-5 Go for a spin up Meditation Mount and experience a Zen moment above the Ojai Valley Fantastic views are your to enjoy on the climb from Ojai into the desert-like scenery of the San Rafael Mountains and Pine Mountain summit Choose to head back early and unwind at our hotel - there are many options, from yoga to golf - or browse in the wonderful bookstores, galleries and boutiques of Ojai Savor the sweet smell of citrus groves en route to family-owned Regalo Farm for a sample of superb hand-picked, cold-pressed olive oil.
- Palm-fringed bike paths along the sun-kissed coast of the American Riviera
- Sample delicious regional favorites like Pixie tangerines and award-winning extra virgin olive oils
- A wealth of diversions along the way - quaint towns, historic sites, a nature reserve and stunning views of the Pacific coast and Channel Islands
- It's the perfect pairing: exquisite California cuisine and exhilarating California hills!
- Live it up at two exclusive resorts, set amid breathtaking scenery and brimming with an array of luxuries
Four Seasons Resort The Biltmore (2 nights): One of the most highly acclaimed resorts in the country, this landmark Spanish-style hotel was built in the 1920s and features lush tropical oceanfront grounds and dazzling views out over the Pacific. (pool, spa)
Ojai Valley Inn & Spa (2 nights): Where Hollywood's glitterati come to be pampered! This stylish and historic resort offers something for everybody - including a luxurious spa and award-winning restaurant - in a beautiful park-like setting with hillside views in every direction. (pool, spa, tennis, golf)
Every Backroads trip is designed to appeal to a wide variety of
interests and fitness levels. We know your pace may vary from one
day to the next-and your traveling companion's may differ somewhat
from yours. So we present a range of mileage options, and each
day you decide exactly what and how much you want to do.
Routes For All Abilities
|Daily Route Options|
|Level 1||Level 2||Level 3||Level 4||Level 5|
|miles||feet gain||miles||feet gain||miles||feet gain||miles||feet gain||miles||feet gain|
|Kids: Surf the Waves at Faria Beach (3 Hours)|
* Includes a shuttle
2015 Dates & Pricing*
- 3/22-26 Price: $2598 pp dbl. occ., (+ $760 for sgl. occ.)
- 3/29-4/2 Price: $2598 pp dbl. occ., (+ $760 for sgl. occ.)
- 4/5-9 Price: $2598 pp dbl. occ., (+ $760 for sgl. occ.)
- 6/15-19 Price: $2898 pp dbl. occ., (+ $760 for sgl. occ.)
- 6/22-26 Price: $2798 pp dbl. occ., (+ $760 for sgl. occ.)
- 6/29-7/3 Price: $2798 pp dbl. occ., (+ $760 for sgl. occ.)
- 7/27-31 Price: $2798 pp dbl. occ., (+ $760 for sgl. occ.)
- 8/3-7 Price: $2798 pp dbl. occ., (+ $760 for sgl. occ.)
*Prices may change. Once you book your trip, your price is guaranteed.
Recommended Kids Ages
- Recommended minimum age for the trip: 6 years
- Minimum age restriction to ride own bike: 9 years
- Minimum age restriction to surf: 6 years
General Info on Minimum Ages:We strongly encourage families to join our Family Trips, designed with kid- and adult-friendly features. Please note that we have a minimum age requirement of 1 year for all Inn trips and 2 years for all Camping trips. Other than that, we do not restrict trips to a minimum age except in the rare case of a hotel age restriction. We do, however, recommend minimum ages based on the following criteria:
- 12+ amount of cultural appreciation, difficulty of activities, routes
- 9+ difficulty of activities/activity age restrictions, routes
- 6+ several longer dinners; routes are difficult for pulling a Burley and therefore not appropriate for younger children; difficulty of activities/activity age restrictions
Private Trips Options & Pricing
Pricing for Private Trips (prices may vary based on departure date)
|2 - 3 guests from $4,998 pp dbl. occ.||8 - 9 guests from $3,498 pp dbl. occ.|
|4 - 5 guests from $4,198 pp dbl. occ.||10 - 11 guests from $2,898 pp dbl. occ.|
|6 - 7 guests from $3,698 pp dbl. occ.||12 or more guests from $2,598 pp dbl. occ.|
Guest Trip Reviews
With its wealth of options and activities, our Santa Barbara & Ojai Valley biking trip is an excellent choice for families. It features a well-balanced blend of point-to-point rides - showcasing some of the most scenic local bike paths and quiet roads - along with extra van support that brings the region's most noteworthy spots within reach of all, regardless of age or ability. And it's loaded with fun diversions for kids, including surfing!- Regional Manager, North America