Look around: warm sun, white sands, vast mountains and blue sky surround you. The ocean beckons (is that a whale spout in the distance?). Breathe deeply! Take in the fresh Santa Barbara sea air or the pungent orange and tangerine groves in Ojai. What’s in store for this afternoon? Maybe a horseback adventure through the Ventura River Valley, surfing lessons with local pros, a bike ride along the palm tree-lined Pacific coast or a cool dip in a sparkling pool. Who says luxury travel is just for adults? Welcome to a sensory paradise for the whole family.
Day 1 Cruise on a scenic bike path, enjoying sun, surf and pristine Santa Barbara beaches Pass through historic Hope Ranch, a quintessentially California community with beautiful hillside estates overlooking the ocean Visit the Ty Warner Sea Center to learn more about the marine life of the Santa Barbara Channel Kids of all ages delight in riding the historic carousel at Chase Palm Waterfront Park Look for Blue Herons and Egrets at Andrée Clark Bird Refuge, a popular spot to view migratory waterfowl Which is more stunning—the magnificent Spanish Revival-style architecture of the Santa Barbara County Courthouse or its luxuriant sunken tropical garden?
Day 2 Soak up the scene in Santa Barbara's "Funk Zone," filled with galleries, surf shops, a distillery and brewery, and some of the region's best wine-tasting rooms Head into the star-studded hills and pedal above the red-tiled roofs of Santa Barbara For even more inspiring vistas, take on "Gibraltar," a challenging but picturesque route popular among local riders Visit Old Mission Santa Barbara, one of California's most iconic historic sites.
Day 3 The oasis of Ojai, a flower-filled city brimming with small-town charm, set beneath chaparral hills Groves of oranges and celebrated Pixie tangerines, nurseries and sprawling ranches line our route through Toro Canyon up into the Santa Ynez Mountains Kids surf the waves while adults spin on a bike path along one of the most breathtaking stretches of coast in Southern California Ride along the Ojai Valley Bike Path, which follows the Old Southern Pacific Railroad route Take a refreshing dip in one of the two pools at the Ojai Valley Inn and Spa—your muscles will thank you!
Days 4-5 Ready to experience a "pink moment"? Keep an eye on the Topatopa Bluffs at sunset Fantastic views are your to enjoy on the climb from Ojai into the desert-like scenery of the San Rafael Mountains Choose to head back early and unwind at our hotel—there are many options, from yoga to golf—or browse in the wonderful bookstores, galleries and boutiques of Ojai Savor the sweet smell of citrus groves en route to family-owned Regalo Farm for a sample of superb hand-picked, cold-pressed olive oil.
- Palm-fringed bike paths along the sun-kissed coast of the American Riviera
- Sample delicious regional favorites like Pixie tangerines and award-winning extra virgin olive oils
- A wealth of diversions along the way—quaint towns, historic sites, a nature reserve and stunning views of the Pacific coast and Channel Islands
- It's the perfect pairing—exquisite California cuisine and exhilarating California hills!
- Live it up at two exclusive resorts, set amid breathtaking scenery and brimming with an array of luxuries
Four Seasons Resort The Biltmore (2 nights): One of the most highly acclaimed resorts in the country, this landmark Spanish-style hotel was built in the 1920s and features lush tropical oceanfront grounds and dazzling views out over the Pacific. Travel + Leisure World's Best. (pool, spa)
Ojai Valley Inn & Spa (2 nights): Where Hollywood's glitterati come to be pampered! This stylish and historic resort offers something for everybody—including a luxurious spa and award-winning restaurant—in a beautiful park-like setting with hillside views in every direction. Condé Nast Traveler Gold List; Travel + Leisure World’s Best. (pool, spa, tennis, golf)
Every Backroads trip is designed to appeal to a wide variety of
interests and fitness levels. We know your pace may vary from one
day to the next-and your traveling companion's may differ somewhat
from yours. So we present a range of mileage options, and each
day you decide exactly what and how much you want to do.
Routes For All Abilities
|Daily Route Options|
|Level 1||Level 2||Level 3||Level 4||Level 5|
|miles||feet gain||miles||feet gain||miles||feet gain||miles||feet gain||miles||feet gain|
|Kids: Surfing or Stand-up Paddleboarding at Faria Beach (3 Hours)|
* Includes a shuttle
2015 Dates & Pricing*
- 7/27-31 Price: $3098 pp dbl. occ., (+ $760 for sgl. occ.)
- 8/3-7 Price: $3098 pp dbl. occ., (+ $760 for sgl. occ.)
*Prices may change. Once you book your trip, your price is guaranteed.
2016 Dates & Pricing*
- 3/14-18 Price: $2698 pp dbl. occ., (+ $770 for sgl. occ.)
- 3/21-25 Price: $2698 pp dbl. occ., (+ $770 for sgl. occ.)
- 3/28-4/1 Price: $2698 pp dbl. occ., (+ $770 for sgl. occ.)
- 4/4-8 Price: $2698 pp dbl. occ., (+ $770 for sgl. occ.)
- 4/11-15 Price: $2698 pp dbl. occ., (+ $770 for sgl. occ.)
- 6/13-17 Price: $2898 pp dbl. occ., (+ $870 for sgl. occ.)
- 6/20-24 Price: $2898 pp dbl. occ., (+ $870 for sgl. occ.)
- 6/27-7/1 Price: $2898 pp dbl. occ., (+ $870 for sgl. occ.)
- 7/25-29 Price: $2898 pp dbl. occ., (+ $870 for sgl. occ.)
- 8/1-5 Price: $2898 pp dbl. occ., (+ $870 for sgl. occ.)
- 12/19-23 Price: $3098 pp dbl. occ., (+ $970 for sgl. occ.)
- 12/26-30 Price: $3098 pp dbl. occ., (+ $970 for sgl. occ.)
*Prices may change. Once you book your trip, your price is guaranteed.
Recommended Kids Ages
- Recommended minimum age for the trip: 6 years
- Minimum age restriction to ride own bike: 9 years
- Minimum age restriction to surf: 6 years
General Info on Minimum Ages:We strongly encourage families to join our Family Trips, designed with kid- and adult-friendly features. Please note that we have a minimum age requirement of 1 year for all Inn trips and 2 years for all Camping trips. Other than that, we do not restrict trips to a minimum age except in the rare case of a hotel age restriction. We do, however, recommend minimum ages based on the following criteria:
- 12+ amount of cultural appreciation, difficulty of activities, routes
- 9+ difficulty of activities/activity age restrictions, routes
- 6+ several longer dinners; routes are difficult for pulling a Burley Cub trailer and therefore not appropriate for younger children; difficulty of activities/activity age restrictions
Private Trips Options & Pricing
Gather your favorite people to share a Backroads adventure on a ready-to-book Private Trip - featuring all the legendary Backroads hallmarks from expert leaders to unforgettable activities.
You can pick from a large selection of dates for your group of 8 or more. Call us for date availability.
If your party has fewer than 8 guests, or if your preferred date is not available, we'll create a departure just for you.
Pricing for Private Trips (prices may vary based on departure date)
|2 - 3 guests from $4,998 pp dbl. occ.||8 - 9 guests from $3,498 pp dbl. occ.|
|4 - 5 guests from $4,198 pp dbl. occ.||10 - 11 guests from $2,898 pp dbl. occ.|
|6 - 7 guests from $3,698 pp dbl. occ.||12 or more guests from $2,598 pp dbl. occ.|
|2 - 3 guests from $4,998 pp dbl. occ.||8 - 9 guests from $3,598 pp dbl. occ.|
|4 - 5 guests from $4,398 pp dbl. occ.||10 - 11 guests from $2,998 pp dbl. occ.|
|6 - 7 guests from $3,898 pp dbl. occ.||12 or more guests from $2,698 pp dbl. occ.|
Please note: Youth savings do not apply to Private Trips.
Guest Trip Reviews
With its wealth of options and activities, our Santa Barbara & Ojai Valley biking trip is an excellent choice for families. It features a well-balanced blend of point-to-point rides - showcasing some of the most scenic local bike paths and quiet roads - along with extra van support that brings the region's most noteworthy spots within reach of all, regardless of age or ability. And it's loaded with fun diversions for kids, including surfing!- Regional Manager, North America