What makes you happy? That's what travel is really about. So what would you say to going to two of the happiest places on earth? To experiencing fresh baked cinnamon buns in Sweden? And seeing Viking ships up close in Denmark? Ride along a fjord, one of the most amazing land formations on the planet. Make your family laugh by saying "fjord" for no good reason. Pedal by classic red Swedish farmhouses and whimsical Danish summer homes. Savor smoked salmon and visit castles whose names you can't pronounce. Meet some to the happiest people in the world. Maybe even be one of the happiest people in the world. So come on. Get happy.
We want to make sure you're on the right trip and that you have the best experience possible. Every Backroads trip is unique and this one is no exception.
Navigating Bike Routes & Bike PathsFollow that runestone! The Swedes and the Danes are famous for their love of bikes. And that love of bikes has created an amazing labyrinth of bike paths and routes that extend throughout each country, linking quaint villages and big cities alike. Many of the routes we use on this trip are the equivalent of scenic byways, and some follow roads and paths with little or no signage. Navigating these intricate bike routes may require more attention to the directions than you might expect; be prepared to make a few more stops along the way to ensure you're on the right track.
Days 1-2 Explore the magnificent Stockholm archipelago by bike, private charter boat and ferry Warm up with a loop ride on Färingsö Island in sparkling Lake Mälaren - just one of Sweden's 95,700 lakes Pedal amid woodland, farms and villages to historic Svartsjö Palace for afternoon tea and pastries Visit the World Heritage site of Drottningholm Palace, a resplendent 17th-century estate and private residence to the Swedish royal family Spin past minimalist - yet warmly inviting - Swedish summer homes, quaint villages and picturesque meadows to historic Wira Bruk ironworks.
Days 3-4 Feel the two-wheeled love in Copenhagen, one of the world's bike-friendliest cities From stately Sturehof Castle, bike through farmland, forests and small towns to catch a quick ferry across the Himmer Fjord to the island of Mörkö Admire the flamboyant rococo embellishment and vast English gardens of Tullgarn Castle, the Swedish royal family's summer palace Stroll the charming waterfront town of Trosa Spin along the quiet Baltic coastline to the secluded marina of Svardsklova before boarding a fast train to Copenhagen.
Days 5-6 Shimmering water, white-sand beaches and colorful coastal towns await on the Danish Riviera Pedal from Charlottenlund past beautiful summer residences facing out to the stunning Baltic Sea Cruise on a bike path through forests near Klampenborg Royal Hunting Grounds Continue on quiet roads past thatch-roofed houses and horse farms to Frederiksborg Slot, Scandinavia's largest Renaissance castle Kids marvel at Nordic wooden boats at the Viking Ship Museum Copenhagen charms and inspires as we explore its historic sites on foot.
- Pedal easygoing terrain on a bike-friendly mix of country lanes, coastal roads and cycling paths - some of the best urban biking landscapes on the planet
- Be awed by the stunning land and seascape of the Stockholm archipelago, bathed in the ethereal sparkle of the midnight sun
- Spin past endless red-and-white Swedish cottages set along crystal clear harbors and waterways
- Indulge in the latest culinary trends with the locavore "Nordic Cuisine Manifesto" guiding innovation and fresh delicious cuisine
- Marvel at magnificent castles, royal palaces and medieval landmarks set against the pristine beauty of the Baltic sea
Grand Hotel Stockholm (2 nights): Savor superb waterfront views at this historic property perched at the edge of the harbor, overlooking Stockholm's Old Town and widely praised as one of Scandinavia's leading luxury hotels. (pool, spa)
Bomans (1 night): A charming and eclectic family-run hotel—with rooms featuring droll names like "Happy Accident" and "Princess and the Pea"—located right on the water and brimming with cozy décor.
Hotel D'Angleterre (2 nights): This 18th-century landmark hotel—set majestically in the heart of Copenhagen—will dazzle you with its elegance and style, as well as its rich history. (pool, spa)
Every Backroads trip is designed to appeal to a wide variety of
interests and fitness levels. We know your pace may vary from one
day to the next-and your traveling companion's may differ somewhat
from yours. So we present a range of mileage options, and each
day you decide exactly what and how much you want to do.
Routes For All Abilities
|Daily Route Options|
|Level 1||Level 2||Level 3||Level 4||Level 5|
|miles||feet gain||miles||feet gain||miles||feet gain||miles||feet gain||miles||feet gain|
|Kids: Fishing in Trosa (1 Hour)|
|Kids: Stendörren Guided Tour (1 Hour)|
|Kids: Viking Ship Museum Visit (1 Hour)|
|6||Copenhagen Walking Tour (2 Hours)|
* Includes a shuttle
2015 Dates & Pricing*
- 6/16-21 Price: $5148 pp dbl. occ., (+ $1170 for sgl. occ.)
- 6/23-28 Price: $5148 pp dbl. occ., (+ $1170 for sgl. occ.)
- 7/14-19 Price: $5048 pp dbl. occ., (+ $1170 for sgl. occ.)
- 7/21-26 Price: $4948 pp dbl. occ., (+ $1170 for sgl. occ.)
- 7/28-8/2 Price: $4698 pp dbl. occ., (+ $1170 for sgl. occ.)
- 8/2-7 Price: $5148 pp dbl. occ., (+ $1170 for sgl. occ.)
- 8/9-14 Price: $5048 pp dbl. occ., (+ $1170 for sgl. occ.)
- 8/16-21 Price: $4948 pp dbl. occ., (+ $1170 for sgl. occ.)
*Prices may change. Once you book your trip, your price is guaranteed.
Recommended Kids Ages
- Recommended minimum age for the trip: 6 years
- Minimum age restriction to ride own bike: 9 years
- No Burleys available on this trip
General Info on Minimum Ages:We strongly encourage families to join our Family Trips, designed with kid- and adult-friendly features. Please note that we have a minimum age requirement of 1 year for all Inn trips and 2 years for all Camping trips. Other than that, we do not restrict trips to a minimum age except in the rare case of a hotel age restriction. We do, however, recommend minimum ages based on the following criteria:
- 12+ amount of cultural appreciation, difficulty of activities, routes
- 9+ difficulty of activities/activity age restrictions, routes
- 6+ several longer dinners; routes are difficult for pulling a Burley and therefore not appropriate for younger children; difficulty of activities/activity age restrictions
Private Trips Options & Pricing
Gather your favorite people to share a Backroads adventure on a ready-to-book Private Trip - featuring all the legendary Backroads hallmarks from expert leaders to unforgettable activities.
You can pick from a large selection of dates for your group of 8 or more. Call us for date availability.
If your party has fewer than 8 guests, or if your preferred date is not available, we'll create a departure just for you.
Pricing for Private Trips (prices may vary based on departure date)
|2 - 3 guests from $7,898 pp dbl. occ.||8 - 9 guests from $5,698 pp dbl. occ.|
|4 - 5 guests from $6,698 pp dbl. occ.||10 - 11 guests from $4,998 pp dbl. occ.|
|6 - 7 guests from $6,098 pp dbl. occ.||12 or more guests from $4,698 pp dbl. occ.|
Please note: Youth savings do not apply to Private Trips.
Guest Trip Reviews
- Regional Manager, Sweden & Denmark
I really hope you'll consider joining us in Stockholm and Copenhagen - both recent additions to my list of all-time favorite places! Your family will enjoy riding through charming landscapes, from the Stockholm archipelago to the Swedish and Danish coastline, farmland, forests and postcard-perfect towns. We'll even access some biking routes by private charter boats and ferries. The cultures of Sweden and Denmark are unique and very enjoyable, and Copenhagen is known to be one of the world's bike-friendliest cities.