Quick: where's the capital of prehistory? If you answered the Dordogne, give yourself a gold star. This cave-riddled region is where our early ancestors left their most indelible mementos, painted on the walls of limestone grottoes. It's where you and your gang will create memories as well. Explore ancient castles and fortresses. Visit villages carved out of cliffs. Canoe the Dordogne River and pedal past wheat fields and walnut groves. Spend nights in luxurious hotels, snack on crêpes, and savor gourmet cuisine paired with Bergerac and Bordeaux wines. Make your own family history in the region of prehistory.
Days 1-2 Trade pedals for paddles and canoe down the Dordogne River Rocamadour, once a pilgrimage destination, beckons you from its perch above the Alzou Canyon Spin to the medieval city of Martel, known as the "City of the Seven Towers" A superb Michelin-starred meal showcases local specialties.
Days 3-4 Discover enchanting Sarlat, with more medieval, Renaissance and 17th-century buildings than any other city in France Picnic in the shadow of Château de Castelnaud, one of the region's most impressive castles Kids defy gravity at a fun-filled ropes course Bike past orchards along the Dordogne River, perhaps stopping to lounge in the shade of a walnut tree.
Days 5-6 Farm country makes way for lush rolling countryside on a spin along the Dordogne River Discover Cro-Magnon art in the form of mammoths, ibex and other large game at the caves of Rouffignac Are your senses ready to be dazzled? Michelin-starred cuisine is on the menu Kids get a taste of rural life in 1900 at Le Village Bournat.
- A mystical landscape with ancient castles and precariously perched villages
- Kids defy gravity at a fun-filled ropes course
- The lazy Dordogne River - explore it in a canoe!
- Cro-Magnon cave art in the caves of Rouffignac
- Learn the region's tumultuous past during a private tour of Château de Castelnaud
Château de la Treyne (2 nights): Pure elegance in a 14th-century castle set above the Dordogne River with outstanding views, magnificent gardens and a Michelin-starred restaurant. A Relais & Châteaux member. (pool)
Domaine de Rochebois (1 night): A stately 19th-century residence with formal gardens, a nine-hole golf course and unsurpassed views of the Dordogne River Valley. A Small Luxury Hotels of the World member. (pool, golf)
Le Vieux Logis (2 nights): This enchanting manor house-hotel with idyllic gardens and a Michelin-starred restaurant was a priory in the 1500s. A Relais & Châteaux member. (pool)
Every Backroads trip is designed to appeal to a wide variety of
interests and fitness levels. We know your pace may vary from one
day to the next-and your traveling companion's may differ somewhat
from yours. So we present a range of mileage options, and each
day you decide exactly what and how much you want to do.
Routes For All Abilities
|Daily Route Options|
|Level 1||Level 2||Level 3||Level 4||Level 5|
|miles||feet gain||miles||feet gain||miles||feet gain||miles||feet gain||miles||feet gain|
|Dordogne River canoe trip (2 hours)|
|Kids: Ropes course (1 hour)|
|Kids: Village Bournat visit (1 hour)|
* Includes a shuttle
2014 Dates & Pricing*
- 6/22-27 Price: $4298 pp dbl. occ., (+ $1720 for sgl. occ.)
- 6/29-7/4 Price: $4298 pp dbl. occ., (+ $1720 for sgl. occ.)
- 7/27-8/1 Price: $4298 pp dbl. occ., (+ $1720 for sgl. occ.)
*Prices may change. Once you book your trip, your price is guaranteed.
Recommended Kids Ages
- Recommended minimum age for the trip: 9 years
- Minimum age restriction to ride own bike: 9 years
- Minimum age restriction to canoe: 7 years
- No Burleys or Piccolos available on this trip
General Info on Minimum Ages:We strongly encourage families to join our Family Trips, designed with kid- and adult-friendly features. Please note that we have a minimum age requirement of 1 year for all Inn trips and 2 years for all Camping trips. Other than that, we do not restrict trips to a minimum age except in the rare case of a hotel age restriction. We do, however, recommend minimum ages based on the following criteria:
- 12+ amount of cultural appreciation, difficulty of activities, routes
- 9+ difficulty of activities/activity age restrictions, routes
- 6+ several longer dinners; routes are difficult for pulling a Burley and therefore not appropriate for younger children; difficulty of activities/activity age restrictions
Private Trips Options & Pricing
Gather your favorite people to share a Backroads adventure on a ready-to-book Private Trip - featuring all the legendary Backroads hallmarks from expert leaders to unforgettable activities.
You can pick any open date in next year's lineup for your group of 8 or more - just book by December 31st of this year. Call us for date availability.
If your party has fewer than 8 guests, or if your preferred date is not available, we'll create a departure just for you.
Pricing for Private Trips
- 2 - 3 guests $6,498 pp dbl. occ.
- 4 - 5 guests $5,698 pp dbl. occ.
- 6 - 7 guests $5,298 pp dbl. occ.
- 8 - 9 guests $5,098 pp dbl. occ.
- 10 - 11 guests $4,598 pp dbl. occ.
- 12 or more guests $4,298 pp dbl. occ.
Youth savings do not apply to Private Trips.
Guest Trip Reviews
I had a terrific time on this trip and would recommend Backroads to friends. I especially enjoyed the canoe trip, the camaraderie of the group and our leaders, and the cultural and historical activities such as the flour mill tour. Our leaders were wonderful - they felt like friends.- Buda, TX