Death Valley's extreme environment can be pretty tough - when you're a plant or a critter. But for your family, it's a cinch to simply soak up the beauty of it all. Rocks in colors that rival any artist's palette. Vistas that morph with every angle in the light. Wildlife, from roadrunners to diminutive fish found nowhere else on earth. Graceful Sahara-style sand dunes. And a shimmering spring-fed swimming pool at The Inn at Furnace Creek. With Backroads, life in Death Valley couldn't be sweeter.
Day 1 Delight in the peacefulness of the desert For an excellent introduction to the natural wonders you'll experience during your trip, have a look around the Death Valley National Park Visitor Center Your first ride is highlighted by sights both grand and intimate, from giant sand dunes to salt-tolerant pickleweed.
Day 2 Bike across the giant Salt Playa to the lowest point in the U.S. and see if you feel any different at 282 feet below sea level Desert illusions of water might just mesmerize you Cool off with a dip in our hotel's spring-fed swimming pool or opt for a round of golf.
Day 3 Dramatic Dante's View, offering a red-tailed hawk's perspective on Death Valley For adults, it's a challenging climb to get there - more than 5,000 feet in less than 30 miles, but you can always get a lift in the van Kids saddle up for a morning horseback ride Relish the breathtaking 360-degree panorama, featuring snow-covered Telescope Peak framed by Devil's Golf Course and the spectacular Panamint Mountains In the mood for a fast technical descent? Get set to brave the downhill to the desert floor.
Day 4 Conquer Hell's Gate on an optional spin through the badlands Pedal past fantastical geologic features surrounded by the Panamint Mountains Kids and adults hike through out-of-this-world rock formations resembling Neapolitan ice cream.
- Delight in the peacefulness of the desert
- Dramatic Dante's View, offering a red-tailed hawk's perspective on Death Valley
- Bike across salt flats to the lowest point in the U.S.
- Amble among rock formations that look like Neapolitan ice cream
- Zabriskie Point, with an extraordinary panoramic view of the Panamint Range
The Inn at Furnace Creek (3 nights): Nestled at the foot of the Funeral Mountains, this Mission-style hotel sits almost 200 feet below sea level. (pool, tennis, golf)
Every Backroads trip is designed to appeal to a wide variety of
interests and fitness levels. We know your pace may vary from one
day to the next-and your traveling companion's may differ somewhat
from yours. So we present a range of mileage options, and each
day you decide exactly what and how much you want to do.
Routes For All Abilities
|Daily Route Options|
|Level 1||Level 2||Level 3||Level 4||Level 5|
|miles||feet gain||miles||feet gain||miles||feet gain||miles||feet gain||miles||feet gain|
|Kids: horseback riding (2 hours)|
|Morning hike: 2.8 miles (1000 feet elevation gain)|
* Includes a shuttle
2014 Dates & Pricing*
- 2/16-19 Price: $2098 pp dbl. occ., (+ $600 for sgl. occ.)
- 3/20-23 Price: $2098 pp dbl. occ., (+ $600 for sgl. occ.)
- 3/27-30 Price: $2098 pp dbl. occ., (+ $600 for sgl. occ.)
- 4/3-6 Price: $2098 pp dbl. occ., (+ $600 for sgl. occ.)
- 4/13-16 Price: $2198 pp dbl. occ., (+ $600 for sgl. occ.)
*Prices may change. Once you book your trip, your price is guaranteed.
Recommended Kids Ages
- Recommended minimum age for the trip: 6 years
- Minimum age restriction to ride own bike: 9 years
- Minimum age restriction to horseback ride: 6 years
General Info on Minimum Ages:We strongly encourage families to join our Family Trips, designed with kid- and adult-friendly features. Please note that we have a minimum age requirement of 1 year for all Inn trips and 2 years for all Camping trips. Other than that, we do not restrict trips to a minimum age except in the rare case of a hotel age restriction. We do, however, recommend minimum ages based on the following criteria:
- 12+ cultural appreciation, difficulty/restrictions of activities and route
- 9+ several long adult dinners, difficulty/restrictions of activities and route
- 6+ several long adult dinners; parent may not be able to pull a Burley and/or there may be multiple activity restrictions
Private Trips Options & Pricing
Gather your favorite people to share a Backroads adventure on a ready-to-book Private Trip - featuring all the legendary Backroads hallmarks from expert leaders to unforgettable activities.
You can pick any open date in next year's lineup for your group of 8 or more - just book by December 31st of this year. Call us for date availability.
If your party has fewer than 8 guests, or if your preferred date is not available, we'll create a departure just for you.
Pricing for Private Trips
- 2 - 3 guests $4,198 pp dbl. occ.
- 4 - 5 guests $3,598 pp dbl. occ.
- 6 - 7 guests $3,198 pp dbl. occ.
- 8 - 9 guests $2,898 pp dbl. occ.
- 10 - 11 guests $2,398 pp dbl. occ.
- 12 or more guests $2,098 pp dbl. occ.
Youth savings do not apply to Private Trips.
Guest Trip Reviews
Both of our kids asked to do another Backroads trip within a day of the trip ending - I don't think there is a better endorsement. It was exactly what we wanted in terms of keeping the kids active while having fun.- Denver, CO