Death Valley's extreme environment can be pretty tough - when you're a plant or a critter. But for your family, it's a cinch to simply soak up the beauty of this national park. Rocks in colors that rival any artist's palette. Vistas at Zabriskie Point that morph with every angle in the light. Wildlife, from roadrunners to diminutive fish found nowhere else on earth. Graceful Sahara-style sand dunes. Badwater’s sprawling white salt flat. And a shimmering spring-fed swimming pool at The Inn at Furnace Creek. With Backroads, life in Death Valley couldn't be easier.
Day 1 Delight in the peacefulness of the desert For an excellent introduction to the natural wonders you'll experience during your trip, have a look around the Death Valley National Park Visitor Center Your first ride is highlighted by sights both grand and intimate, from giant sand dunes to salt-tolerant pickleweed.
Day 2 Bike across the giant Salt Playa to the lowest point in the US and see if you feel any different at 282 feet below sea level Desert illusions of water might just mesmerize you Cool off with a dip in our hotel's spring-fed swimming pool or opt for a round of golf.
Day 3 Dramatic Dante's View, offering a red-tailed hawk's perspective on Death Valley For adults, it's a challenging climb to get there - more than 5,000 feet in less than 30 miles, but you can always get a lift in the van Kids saddle up for a morning horseback ride Relish the breathtaking 360-degree panorama, featuring snow-covered Telescope Peak framed by Devil's Golf Course and the spectacular Panamint Mountains In the mood for a fast technical descent? Get set to brave the downhill to the desert floor.
Day 4 Conquer Zabriskie Point for the park's most celebrated vista Kids and adults hike through out-of-this-world rock formations resembling Neapolitan ice cream.
- Delight in the peacefulness of the desert
- Dramatic Dante's View, offering a red-tailed hawk's perspective on Death Valley
- Bike across salt flats to the lowest point in the U.S.
- Amble among rock formations that look like Neapolitan ice cream
- Zabriskie Point, with an extraordinary panoramic view of the Panamint Range
The Inn at Furnace Creek (3 nights): Nestled at the foot of the Funeral Mountains, this Mission-style hotel sits almost 200 feet below sea level. (pool, tennis, golf)
Every Backroads trip is designed to appeal to a wide variety of
interests and fitness levels. We know your pace may vary from one
day to the next-and your traveling companion's may differ somewhat
from yours. So we present a range of mileage options, and each
day you decide exactly what and how much you want to do.
Routes For All Abilities
|Daily Route Options|
|Level 1||Level 2||Level 3||Level 4||Level 5|
|miles||feet gain||miles||feet gain||miles||feet gain||miles||feet gain||miles||feet gain|
|Kids: Horseback Riding (2 Hours)|
|4||Golden Canyon Hike (2.8 Miles; 1,000` elevation gain)|
* Includes a shuttle
2015 Dates & Pricing*
- 3/19-22 Price: $2098 pp dbl. occ., (+ $580 for sgl. occ.)
- 3/26-29 Price: $2098 pp dbl. occ., (+ $580 for sgl. occ.)
- 4/2-5 Price: $2098 pp dbl. occ., (+ $580 for sgl. occ.)
- 4/9-12 Price: $2098 pp dbl. occ., (+ $580 for sgl. occ.)
*Prices may change. Once you book your trip, your price is guaranteed.
Recommended Kids Ages
- Recommended minimum age for the trip: 6 years
- Minimum age restriction to ride own bike: 9 years
- Minimum age restriction to horseback ride: 6 years
General Info on Minimum Ages:We strongly encourage families to join our Family Trips, designed with kid- and adult-friendly features. Please note that we have a minimum age requirement of 1 year for all Inn trips and 2 years for all Camping trips. Other than that, we do not restrict trips to a minimum age except in the rare case of a hotel age restriction. We do, however, recommend minimum ages based on the following criteria:
- 12+ cultural appreciation, difficulty/restrictions of activities and route
- 9+ several long adult dinners, difficulty/restrictions of activities and route
- 6+ several long adult dinners; parent may not be able to pull a Burley and/or there may be multiple activity restrictions
Private Trips Options & Pricing
Pricing for Private Trips (prices may vary based on departure date)
|2 - 3 guests from $3,998 pp dbl. occ.||8 - 9 guests from $2,898 pp dbl. occ.|
|4 - 5 guests from $3,598 pp dbl. occ.||10 - 11 guests from $2,398 pp dbl. occ.|
|6 - 7 guests from $3,198 pp dbl. occ.||12 or more guests from $2,098 pp dbl. occ.|
Guest Trip Reviews
Both of our kids asked to do another Backroads trip within a day of the trip ending - I don't think there is a better endorsement. It was exactly what we wanted in terms of keeping the kids active while having fun.- Denver, CO