Iceland Walking & Hiking Tour
- Explore a mystical, raw, wild landscape by land, water and air
- Incredible geological wonders, from glaciers and geysers to volcanoes and sea stacks
- Crisp coastal air and fresh seafood - what could be better?
- Soak in geothermal pools amid astounding scenery
- Extend your vacation in the famously eclectic city of Reykjavík
Call 800-462-2848, Every day 6am-6pm,PST
Natural Wonders of the Southeast Coast
Think of the Earth's natural wonders. Glaciers, waterfalls, volcanoes, fjords, geysers. Now imagine them all in one tiny place. This is Iceland. And it's staggeringly beautiful. Just south of the Arctic Circle, yet warmed by the Gulf Stream, Mother Nature's most astounding creations share the limelight - or midnight sunlight. It's a mysterious island nation of brilliant colors, striking contrasts, crisp air and incredible energy. Of course Viking sagas of mythic proportions emerged here! Your own epic will, too. With treks across ice, sand, water and lava - and to hot springs. A vacation doesn't get any more wonder-full.
We want to make sure you're on the right trip and that you have the best experience possible. Every Backroads trip is unique and this one is no exception.
AccommodationsPlease note that Fosshotel Núpar is significantly more basic than the usual Backroads standard. We've chosen this property for its superb location, amazing glacier and crater views, and its proximity to our trip activities.
Days 1-2 By private Zodiac boat, discover otherworldly Jökulsárlón, a bright blue lagoon with black sand and huge icebergs - make sure you have your camera ready! Sit back and enjoy the flightseeing charter to Höfn, an excellent opportunity to view a massive ice field that covers about eight percent (3,200 square miles) of the country Certain to enchant you is Skaftafell National Park, an incredible area shaped by thousands of years of volcanic eruptions, glacial runoff and rushing rivers, and abounding with forest, heath and waterfalls.
Day 3 Crisp coastal air, fresh seafood and exhilarating activity - a feast for the senses! Trek on a glacier in Skaftafell National Park to view out-of-this-world ice sculptures, water caldrons, crevasses and a breathtaking icefall Walk at Dyrhólaey, a 400-foot-high coastal promontory on Iceland’s southernmost point Admire the many sea stacks just offshore and look for the puffins, common guillemots, razorbills and kittiwakes that call this bird sanctuary home This evening, perhaps opt for a relaxing soak in one of our hotel’s three outdoor geothermal tubs.
Days 4-6 By "super jeep," we tackle rugged terrain and ford rivers near Katla Volcano Hike over glaciers, steaming lava beds, bizarre rock formations and canyons to Thórsmörk, with views of lush vales and brilliant lakes Anyone up for a dip in a thermal river? You'll be tempted by the tranquil pools that form in this extraordinary alpine setting Ramble through the Nesjavellir geothermal area, where lava fields are crisscrossed with steaming tributaries and dotted with hot mud pools Walk along the shore of Lake Thingvallavatn, with water so crystal-clear and clean, you can drink it!
Premiere & Casual Inns*
Hofn (1 night) Newly renovated, this simple yet well-appointed hotel offers spectacular views of the Vatnajökull glacier.
Núpar (1 night) A no-frills Scandinavian-style inn with panoramic vistas of lava fields, craters and glaciers.
Hella (2 nights) A countryside resort with hot tubs overlooking a river and the Hekla Volcano.
Nesjavellir (1 night) This sleek modern hotel sits amid geothermal pools near the shore of Lake Thingvallavatn. (spa)
Guests Reviews About This Trip
Iceland was a terrific experience and one of the top trips I've taken with Backroads. So much diversity in the landscape and the activities! Great destination for a Backroads trip!- Cincinnati, OH
I am extremely excited about our trip to Iceland! Backroads has made the planning process both easy and effortless. There are so many trips to choose from with a variety of choices within that choosing just one was the most difficulty I had. I'm excited to travel with Backroads. I don't think I'll ever stress over planning trips and activities in far-off places again.- Augusta, GA
Trip Dates & Prices
Please click on a date below for specific pricing and possible itinerary variations.
2014 CLASSIC DATES
- 8/17 - 8/22 ( $4598 per person, double occ., +$890 for single occ. , +$370 for internal airfare
- 8/24 - 8/29 ( $4598 per person, double occ., +$890 for single occ. , +$370 for internal airfare
- 8/31 - 9/5 ( $4498 per person, double occ., +$890 for single occ. , +$370 for internal airfare
2015 CLASSIC DATES
- 6/7 - 6/12 ( $4498 per person, double occ., +$820 for single occ. , +$480 for internal airfare
- 6/14 - 6/19 ( $4498 per person, double occ., +$820 for single occ. , +$480 for internal airfare
- 6/21 - 6/26 ( $4498 per person, double occ., +$820 for single occ. , +$480 for internal airfare
- 6/28 - 7/3 ( $4498 per person, double occ., +$820 for single occ. , +$480 for internal airfare
- 7/5 - 7/10 ( $4498 per person, double occ., +$820 for single occ. , +$480 for internal airfare
- 7/12 - 7/17 ( $4498 per person, double occ., +$820 for single occ. , +$480 for internal airfare
- 7/26 - 7/31 ( $4498 per person, double occ., +$820 for single occ. , +$480 for internal airfare
- 8/2 - 8/7 ( $4498 per person, double occ., +$820 for single occ. , +$480 for internal airfare
- 8/16 - 8/21 ( $4498 per person, double occ., +$820 for single occ. , +$480 for internal airfare
- 8/23 - 8/28 ( $4498 per person, double occ., +$820 for single occ. , +$480 for internal airfare
- 8/30 - 9/4 ( $4498 per person, double occ., +$820 for single occ. , +$480 for internal airfare
- 9/6 - 9/11 ( $4498 per person, double occ., +$820 for single occ. , +$480 for internal airfare
Don't see your ideal travel date? Call us at 800-462-2848 for Private Trip date availability.
This Trip Is Rated Level 2-4
Routes For All Abilities
Every Backroads trip is designed to appeal to a wide variety of interests and fitness levels. We know your pace may vary from one day to the next-and your traveling companion's may differ somewhat from yours. So we present a range of mileage options, and each day you decide exactly what and how much you want to do.
|Daily Route Options|
|Level 1||Level 2||Level 3||Level 4||Level 5|
|miles||feet gain||miles||feet gain||miles||feet gain||miles||feet gain||miles||feet gain|
|Zodiac boat Ride (1 Hour)|
|Guided Ice Walk (3 Hours)|
The terrain on this trip includes rocky, exposed, moderately steep and challenging alpine trails and double-track roads. Weather is constantly changing so be prepared for rain and cold temperatures.
* Includes a shuttle
Private Trips Options & Pricing
Gather your favorite people to share a Backroads adventure on a ready-to-book Private Trip - featuring all the legendary Backroads hallmarks from expert leaders to unforgettable activities.
You can pick from a large selection of dates for your group of 8 or more. Call us for date availability.
If your party has fewer than 8 guests, or if your preferred date is not available, we'll create a departure just for you.
Pricing for Private Trips (prices may vary based on departure date)
|8 - 9 guests from $5,298 pp dbl. occ.||12 or more guests from $4,198 pp dbl. occ.|
|10 - 11 guests from $4,798 pp dbl. occ.|
|8 - 9 guests from $5,298 pp dbl. occ.||12 or more guests from $4,498 pp dbl. occ.|
|10 - 11 guests from $4,798 pp dbl. occ.|
For groups of 2 to 7 guests, please call for Custom Trip pricing.