Galapagos & Andes Multisport Tour
- Hike in the Andes with spectacular views of snowcapped mountains
- Bike through small highland villages, where Otavaleño Indians continue centuries-old traditions
- Condor Huasi, a center that reintroduces Andean condors into the wild
- Incredible up-close wildlife viewing in the Galápagos with an expert local guide
- Snorkel and kayak with tropical fish, sea lions and white-tipped reef sharks
Ancient Culture & Wondrous Wildlife in Ecuador's Islands & Highlands
It doesn't take a PhD to know that whatever comes to the Galápagos is forever changed. But the Andean highland arts and culture, mountainous landscapes and pre-Inca history have a similar effect. And as you rub shoulders with indigenous Otavaleños, commune with condors, hike along the rim of a volcanic crater, snorkel the famous waters, encounter blue-footed boobies and giant tortoises, and watch the sun drop into the Pacific from your beachside lodge, you'll realize that Ecuador and its islands have done it again. You're forever changed.
We want to make sure you're on the right trip and that you have the best experience possible. Every Backroads trip is unique and this one is no exception.
Travel TimePlease note that due to our flights between the Ecuadorian mainland and the Galápagos Islands, our schedule involves some early-morning departures and a substantial amount of travel time. Our full yet compelling itinerary means we have a lot of ground to cover— rest assured that the time we spend traveling will allow us to experience the incredible variety of culture, wildlife and scenery that the highlands and the Galápagos have to offer.
Days 1-2 Hike in the Andes with spectacular views of snowcapped mountains Spend time exploring Poncho Square, the heart of Otavalo's world-famous artisan's market, and visit the studio of master weaver Miguel Andrango Fernando Polanco, grandson of an Ecuadorian president, welcomes us at Hacienda Zuleta, a 4,000-acre working farm set amid volcano vistas and pre-Inca ruins.
Day 3 Condor Huasi, a center reintroducing endangered condors into the wild Fuel up with a breakfast of organic tropical fruits, fresh dairy products and mouthwatering pastries - virtually everything on the table is homemade and grown on-site at our hotel Hike to archaelogical sites and along winding roads through the lush pastureland of the Zuleta Valley for new perspectives and breathtaking views Take a stroll to the embroidery workshops - zuleteña women are renowned for fine needlework.
Days 4-8 Incredible up-close wildlife viewing in the Galápagos Islands, an isolated sanctuary with a stunning array of unique plants and animals With an expert local guide at your side, marvel at blue-footed boobies, Darwin's finches, magnificent frigate birds, and lava lizards Boat and fly from island to island, stopping to kayak, hike, bike and swim Snorkel through a living aquarium teeming with fluorescent fish and swim alongside sea lions, sea turtles, and even white-tipped reef sharks Hike through lush Scalesia forest and witness giant tortoises wallowing in mud puddles Late afternoon, kick back at our lodges or stroll in laid-back port towns.
San Pablo del Lago (1 night) Located in the Ecuadorian sierra, this restored Andean estate traces its history to 1602, when the land was purchased from the King of Spain.
Zuleta (2 nights) Luxuriate at this 4,000-acre working farm and living museum open only to select groups of travelers. Our host is Fernando Polanco, the great-grandson and grandson of former Ecuadorian presidents.
Finch Bay Eco Hotel
Santa Cruz Island (2 nights) A beautiful waterfront lodge near the heart of Puerto Ayora.
Isabela Island (2 nights) Set on a pristine beach near a habitat for flamingos and marine iguanas. (pool)
Guest Reviews About This Trip
This trip seemed more like two weeks than eight days; there was so much activity and diversity packed into such a short time. Even with the activity, we had enough downtime to relax each day. It was two very different vacations packed into one.- Salt Lake City, UT
This trip will be memorable as a wonderfully interesting trip to Ecuador, its history, cultures, terrain and the truly lovely people.- Waban, MA
I always feel energized by the trips I take with Backroads. We really made the most of each day and I feel like this trip was an adventure of a lifetime!- Arlington, VA
Trip Dates & Prices
Please click on a date below for specific pricing and possible itinerary variations.
2014 CLASSIC DATES
- 9/14 - 9/21 ( $5248 per person, double occ., +$1200 for single occ. , +$750 for internal airfare
- 12/20 - 12/27 ( $5998 per person, double occ., +$1200 for single occ. , +$630 for internal airfare
- 12/30 - 1/6 ( $5998 per person, double occ., +$1200 for single occ. , +$630 for internal airfare
2015 CLASSIC DATES
- 1/25 - 2/1 ( $5298 per person, double occ., +$1100 for single occ. , +$790 for internal airfare
- 2/8 - 2/15 ( $5298 per person, double occ., +$1200 for single occ. , +$790 for internal airfare
- 2/22 - 3/1 ( $5298 per person, double occ., +$1200 for single occ. , +$790 for internal airfare
- 3/8 - 3/15 ( $5298 per person, double occ., +$1200 for single occ. , +$790 for internal airfare
- 3/26 - 4/2 ( $5298 per person, double occ., +$1200 for single occ. , +$790 for internal airfare
- 5/16 - 5/23 ( $5298 per person, double occ., +$1200 for single occ. , +$790 for internal airfare
- 5/31 - 6/7 ( $5298 per person, double occ., +$1200 for single occ. , +$790 for internal airfare
- 6/14 - 6/21 ( $5298 per person, double occ., +$1200 for single occ. , +$790 for internal airfare
- 7/12 - 7/19 ( $5298 per person, double occ., +$1200 for single occ. , +$790 for internal airfare
- 7/26 - 8/2 ( $5298 per person, double occ., +$1200 for single occ. , +$790 for internal airfare
- 8/9 - 8/16 ( $5298 per person, double occ., +$1200 for single occ. , +$790 for internal airfare
- 9/13 - 9/20 ( $5298 per person, double occ., +$1200 for single occ. , +$790 for internal airfare
- 9/27 - 10/4 ( $5298 per person, double occ., +$1200 for single occ. , +$790 for internal airfare
Don't see your ideal travel date? Call us at 800-462-2848 for Private Trip date availability.
This Trip Is Rated Level 1-3
Routes For All Abilities
Every Backroads trip is designed to appeal to a wide variety of interests and fitness levels. We know your pace may vary from one day to the next-and your traveling companion's may differ somewhat from yours. So we present a range of mileage options, and each day you decide exactly what and how much you want to do.
|Daily Route Options|
|Level 1||Level 2||Level 3||Level 4||Level 5|
|miles||feet gain||miles||feet gain||miles||feet gain||miles||feet gain||miles||feet gain|
|Other||Otavalo Market Visit and Weaver`s Studio Visit|
|4||Other||Puerto Ayora Bay Tour (3hours)|
|Kayaking||Isabela Kayaking (2 hours)|
|Other||Las Tintoreras boating, hiking and snorkeling and wildlife viewing (3 hours)|
|8||Other||Conclusion of the trip|
On this trip, we'll be using titanium mountain bikes that are just right for the non-technical dirt road riding as well as the paved riding. (approximately 25% dirt and 75% paved).
* Includes a shuttle
Private Trips Options & Pricing
Gather your favorite people to share a Backroads adventure on a ready-to-book Private Trip - featuring all the legendary Backroads hallmarks from expert leaders to unforgettable activities.
You can pick any open date for your group of 8 or more except for trips departing during the last two weeks of December, where a 16 guest minimum is required. Call us for date availability.
Pricing for Private Trips (prices may vary based on departure date)
|8 - 9 guests from $5,898 pp dbl. occ.||12 or more guests from $4,998 pp dbl. occ.|
|10 - 11 guests from $5,598 pp dbl. occ.|
|8 - 9 guests from $6,098 pp dbl. occ.||12 or more guests from $5,298 pp dbl. occ.|
|10 - 11 guests from $5,598 pp dbl. occ.|
For groups of 2 to 7 guests, please call for Custom Trip pricing.