Czech Republic & Austria Bike Tour New!
- An inspiring journey that bridges must-see regions of two captivating countries
- Raise a toast to the local culture - taste superb Austrian wines and some of the best beers in the world!
- Sensational gateway cities - Prague and Vienna - may tempt you to extend your vacation
- Our local friends become yours as they offer thoughtful insight on regional traditions, history and daily life
- Your table awaits: enjoy the best dining experiences we offer in the Czech Republic and Austria
From Bohemian Paradise to Austria's Legendary Wachau Valley
Has the 21st century gone missing? In a place of such pastoral beauty, it's easy to imagine that clocks have stopped. Easy to believe that time has disappeared among the folds of lush fields and deep forests. Among half-timbered villages almost too quaint to be real. And alongside a mighty river framed by storybook countryside and a wondrous history. We've perfected this dual-country trip, featuring the splendid Wachau Valley and a corner of the Czech Republic that's still remarkably unexplored. We hope it stays this way forever.
Days 1-2 From Prague, pedal in Bohemia amid a nature reserve aptly dubbed Czech Heaven Choose to ride flat roads through sleepy villages or challenge yourself with a hillier jaunt up to the remains of a 14th-century castle Providing delicious refreshment since the 1700s, the historic Dětenice Château Brewery is a tempting stop en route Dine at a roubenka (traditional cottage) run by the sister-in-law of former Czech president Vaclav Havel.
Day 3 Journey into the Vysočina highlands - a region of rich farmland, castles and friendly towns Cheese, honey, fruit brandy…sample local treats in the village of Bohdaneč Undulating countryside brings us to the hometown of famed Czech writer Jaroslav Hašek, where we are welcomed for lunch at his family's restaurant Rejuvenate at our hotel's heavenly L'Occitane spa.
Day 4 Pedaling past deep forests, ponds and charming villages, feel like you have the quiet roads of "Czech Canada" all to yourself With a local expert, witness WWII-era bunkers hidden in the forest near lovely Slavonice Willkommen in Österreich! Enter Austria through a historic border station Enjoy coffee or shop for souvenirs in riverside Waidhofen an der Thaya before traveling to Dürnstein.
Days 5-6 A ride on the famous Donauradweg bike path offers views of apricot orchards, pretty villages and churches perched on hillsides above the magnificent Danube River You'll know it when you see it: Melk Abbey towering high on a bluff Join a wine expert at his estate for a private tour and tasting of acclaimed Rieslings and grüner veltliners Our exquisite dinner at Landhaus Bacher, one of Austria's premiere culinary addresses, is certain to be a highlight Enjoy one last ride along the Danube to Spitz
Mcely (2 nights) Perched atop a forested hill overlooking the village of Mcely, this elegant 17th-century estate features a rooftop observatory and an award-winning restaurant. A Small Luxury Hotels of the World member. (pool, spa, tennis)
Herálec (1 night) Find a lovely mix of history and contemporary art at this beautifully restored castle, set amid stunning 18th-century English gardens and offering the first L'Occitane spa in the Czech Republic. (pool, spa)
Hotel Schloss Dürnstein
Dürnstein (2 nights) A "stately castle-hotel on a fortified promontory at a scenic bend of the Danube River," raves Andrew Harper about this gem. A Relais & Châteaux member. (pool, spa)
Guest Reviews About This Trip
Not only does this trip bring you the opportunity to experience Prague and Vienna - two of the world's most captivating cities - it also offers a glimpse into the everyday life of the Czech and Austrian people, their cuisine, traditions, history and more. The riding is beautiful, with national parks providing a lush backdrop of forests, lakes and rivers. You'll enjoy great examples of Baroque and Renaissance architecture, visit the incredible Melk Abbey, taste some of the best wine and beer in the world and savor dinner at Landhaus Bacher, one of Austria's most celebrated restaurants.- Regional Manager, Europe
Trip Dates & Prices
Please click on a date below for specific pricing and possible itinerary variations.
2015 CLASSIC DATES
- 5/17 - 5/22 ( $4098 per person, double occ., +$880 for single occ.
- 5/24 - 5/29 ( $4098 per person, double occ., +$880 for single occ.
- 6/7 - 6/12 ( $4098 per person, double occ., +$880 for single occ.
- 6/14 - 6/19 ( $4098 per person, double occ., +$880 for single occ.
- 6/21 - 6/26 ( $4098 per person, double occ., +$880 for single occ.
- 6/28 - 7/3 ( $4098 per person, double occ., +$880 for single occ.
- 7/12 - 7/17 ( $4098 per person, double occ., +$880 for single occ.
- 7/19 - 7/24 ( $4098 per person, double occ., +$880 for single occ.
- 7/26 - 7/31 ( $4098 per person, double occ., +$880 for single occ.
- 8/9 - 8/14 ( $4098 per person, double occ., +$880 for single occ.
- 8/16 - 8/21 ( $4098 per person, double occ., +$880 for single occ.
- 8/23 - 8/28 ( $4098 per person, double occ., +$880 for single occ.
Don't see your ideal travel date? Call us at 800-462-2848 for Private Trip date availability.
This Trip Is Rated Level 1-4
Routes For All Abilities
Every Backroads trip is designed to appeal to a wide variety of interests and fitness levels. We know your pace may vary from one day to the next-and your traveling companion's may differ somewhat from yours. So we present a range of mileage options, and each day you decide exactly what and how much you want to do.
|Daily Route Options|
|Level 1||Level 2||Level 3||Level 4||Level 5|
|miles||feet gain||miles||feet gain||miles||feet gain||miles||feet gain||miles||feet gain|
|Cesky Krumlov Guided Walk (1 Hour)|
|Castle Ruins Hike (1.5 Miles)|
* Includes a shuttle
Private Trips Options & Pricing
Pricing for Private Trips (prices may vary based on departure date)
|2 - 3 guests from $7,498 pp dbl. occ.||8 - 9 guests from $4,998 pp dbl. occ.|
|4 - 5 guests from $5,898 pp dbl. occ.||10 - 11 guests from $4,398 pp dbl. occ.|
|6 - 7 guests from $5,298 pp dbl. occ.||12 or more guests from $4,098 pp dbl. occ.|