Brittany & Normandy Bike Tour
- An unforgettable journey through two of France's most intriguing regions
- Visit stirring World War II battle sites and memorials
- Bike amid rolling countryside, rugged cliffs, rambling beaches and quiet villages
- A private tour of the American Military Cemetery with a local historian
- The magical island monastery and cathedral of Mont-St-Michel
From D-Day Landmarks to the Stunning Emerald Coast
These places move you. Intrigue you. So you want to know more. Not just by what a book or the latest Hollywood epic can tell you, but by witnessing them for yourself. France is full of significant spots, but Brittany and Normandy are different. And you may know the history, but biking along the coastline and standing next to the bunkers and gun posts at Omaha Beach and Pointe du Hoc make everything you’ve heard real. Brittany and Normandy are that rare blend of history and natural beauty. They’re full of stories and emotions. Feel free to take some back with you.
Days 1-2 Explore World War II battle sites and memorials, including the shattered bunkers of the German stronghold, Pointe du Hoc Spin through the gently cultivated farmland past rugged cliffs and iconic beaches À votre santé! Cider replaces wine in your kir normand, an aperitif unique to the region Join a local historian for a private tour of Omaha Beach and the American Military Cemetery, where 9,387 white marble markers stand in perfect rows, telling a story of heroism and sacrifice.
Day 3 Bike rolling country roads along dramatic windswept coastline Discover Arromanches and the remains of a port built for the D-Day Invasion Sweet or savory? A stop at a Breton crêperie is a must Past and present collide in the beautifully preserved town of Bayeux, the first town liberated by the Allies and home to the impressive 11th-century Bayeux Tapestry.
Day 4 The island monastery and cathedral of Mont-St-Michel, a World Heritage site Lively shops and cafés at the base of the isle invite you in before you retrace the final steps of the centuries-old pilgrimage to the majestic summit Leaving Normandy behind, get to know the famed Emerald Coast of Brittany, lined with enchanting fishing towns and striking sandstone cliffs Stroll the charming streets of Dinard, a favorite vacation destination of European celebrities.
Days 5-6 A journey through two of France's most intriguing regions Spin past typical Breton villages, such as riverside St-Suliac, one of Les Plus Beaux (the most beautiful) Villages de France Visit Dinan, a walled medieval port town perched above the Rance River.
Château La Chenevière
Port-en-Bessin (2 nights) A "relaxing 18th-century honey-colored château-hotel surrounded by rose gardens…minutes from Omaha Beach," according to Andrew Harper. A Small Luxury Hotels of the World member. (pool)
Audrieu (1 night) Set amid exquisite gardens, a grand 18th-century estate with period furnishings. A Relais & Châteaux member. (pool)
Grand Hôtel Barrière
Dinard (2 nights) This hotel, built in 1859, welcomes you with warm décor and mesmerizing coastal views. (pool, spa)
Guest Reviews About This Trip
The itinerary was awesome and so meaningful and touching with all that we saw of the Normandy Invasion... It made history come alive for us, even though it was at times heart-wrenching to think about all that happened there. The local guides were EXCELLENT! The Bayeux Tapestry was another highlight!!!! Mont-St-Michel was awesome to see... Our family all had such a great time and can't wait to go on another Backroads trip.- Brawley, CA
What a fantastic way to see Normandy! I came with my parents because we have long wanted to see the WWII invasion site, and Backroads delivered! Our trip leaders were wonderful about getting us as much information as they could and gearing that information toward our interests. Northern France is wonderfully charming, and I really enjoyed so many aspects of it: the history, the cuisine, the calvados culture and the little towns. One thing I love about Backroads is the effort you all put into finding the little spots that I would never find on my own. You are indispensable in that regard, which is why my family calls your company "Crackroads."- Houston, TX
WOW! This was our first Backroads trip and all I can say is that it will not be our last. Just the combination of exercising, eating amazing food, staying in the best hotels and experiencing history all at the same time was heaven for me. I am not the strongest bike rider and was actually nervous about all the riding. But the van support was excellent and gave me the confidence to bike without worrying about getting too tired. The lodging and food were amazing - probably the best my husband and I have ever experienced. And the people we met on the trip were terrific. We will definitely stay in touch with many of the people from this trip. It's hard to come home but my memories of my Backroads trip will last for a long time.- Westport, CT
Trip Dates & Prices
Please click on a date below for specific pricing and possible itinerary variations.
2014 CLASSIC DATES
- 9/28 - 10/3 ( $4498 per person, double occ., +$1030 for single occ.
2015 CLASSIC DATES
- 5/31 - 6/5 ( $4598 per person, double occ., +$920 for single occ.
- 6/7 - 6/12 ( $4398 per person, double occ., +$920 for single occ.
- 6/14 - 6/19 ( $4198 per person, double occ., +$920 for single occ.
- 6/21 - 6/26 ( $4198 per person, double occ., +$920 for single occ.
- 6/28 - 7/3 ( $4198 per person, double occ., +$920 for single occ.
- 7/5 - 7/10 ( $4198 per person, double occ., +$920 for single occ.
- 7/12 - 7/17 ( $4198 per person, double occ., +$920 for single occ.
- 7/19 - 7/24 ( $4198 per person, double occ., +$920 for single occ.
- 7/26 - 7/31 ( $4198 per person, double occ., +$920 for single occ.
- 8/9 - 8/14 ( $4198 per person, double occ., +$920 for single occ.
- 8/23 - 8/28 ( $4198 per person, double occ., +$920 for single occ.
- 8/30 - 9/4 ( $4198 per person, double occ., +$920 for single occ.
- 9/6 - 9/11 ( $4398 per person, double occ., +$920 for single occ.
- 9/8 - 9/13 ( $4198 per person, double occ., +$920 for single occ.
- 9/13 - 9/18 ( $4198 per person, double occ., +$920 for single occ.
- 9/15 - 9/20 ( $4198 per person, double occ., +$920 for single occ.
- 9/20 - 9/25 ( $4198 per person, double occ., +$920 for single occ.
- 9/27 - 10/2 ( $4398 per person, double occ., +$920 for single occ.
Don't see your ideal travel date? Call us at 800-462-2848 for Private Trip date availability.
This Trip Is Rated Level 1-4
Routes For All Abilities
Every Backroads trip is designed to appeal to a wide variety of interests and fitness levels. We know your pace may vary from one day to the next-and your traveling companion's may differ somewhat from yours. So we present a range of mileage options, and each day you decide exactly what and how much you want to do.
|Daily Route Options|
|Level 1||Level 2||Level 3||Level 4||Level 5|
|miles||feet gain||miles||feet gain||miles||feet gain||miles||feet gain||miles||feet gain|
* Includes a shuttle
Private Trips Options & Pricing
Gather your favorite people to share a Backroads adventure on a ready-to-book Private Trip - featuring all the legendary Backroads hallmarks from expert leaders to unforgettable activities.
You can pick from a large selection of dates for your group of 8 or more. Call us for date availability.
If your party has fewer than 8 guests, or if your preferred date is not available, we'll create a departure just for you.
Pricing for Private Trips (prices may vary based on departure date)
|2 - 3 guests from $6,398 pp dbl. occ.||8 - 9 guests from $4,898 pp dbl. occ.|
|4 - 5 guests from $5,598 pp dbl. occ.||10 - 11 guests from $4,398 pp dbl. occ.|
|6 - 7 guests from $5,198 pp dbl. occ.||12 or more guests from $4,098 pp dbl. occ.|
|2 - 3 guests from $6,698 pp dbl. occ.||8 - 9 guests from $5,098 pp dbl. occ.|
|4 - 5 guests from $5,898 pp dbl. occ.||10 - 11 guests from $4,498 pp dbl. occ.|
|6 - 7 guests from $5,398 pp dbl. occ.||12 or more guests from $4,198 pp dbl. occ.|