Peru Walking & Hiking Tour
- Walk amid the Inca salineras' (salt pans) beautiful honeycomb of pools
- Machu Picchu: the incredible "Lost City of the Incas"
- Rub elbows with the locals at Pisac's lively market and visit a weaving community hidden in the hills
- Sacsayhuamán, "Stonehenge of the Andes"
- Exclusive Peruvian cuisine cooking demonstration by Sol y Luna's chef
The Wonders of Cusco, the Sacred Valley & Machu Picchu
Machu Picchu has a gravitational pull. So strong that Inca culture still influences people today. Some practice the 600-year-old pottery techniques. Others, like you, are moved from thousands of miles away. It urges you to hike in Cusco at 11,000 feet above sea level, investigate the ruins of Sacsayhuamán, "Stonehenge of the Andes," make friends with the local schoolchildren who live in hidden weaving communities in undiscovered valleys, stand above it all at the summit of Montaña Machu Picchu and testify to the resilience of humanity. Theirs and yours.
We want to make sure you're on the right trip and that you have the best experience possible. Every Backroads trip is unique and this one is no exception.
Hiking the Inca TrailPermits to hike the Inca Trail are extremely limited. We recommend booking a minimum of 4 to 6 months prior to departure in order to significantly increase your chance of securing a permit.
Also, due to national park regulations and difficulty securing permits, your Backroads leaders may not be able to accompany you along the Inca Trail. Rest assured, you will always be well supported by our local Peruvian guide, who we've worked with for years, and a staff of porters.
Days 1-2 Extraordinary archaeological sites Explore Cusco, once the center of the pre-Columbian Inca Empire Visit Coricancha, a Spanish Colonial church built atop the ruins of an Inca temple Our local guide shares deep insight into Peru's culture and ancient civilizations as we journey through Puca Pucara, Q'enko, Temple of the Moon and Sacsayhuamán A long-time friend and Quechua shaman teaches us the meaning of his indigenous "Pago a la Tierra" ceremony Discover the superb collection at Cusco's Museum of Pre-Columbian Art and sip a pisco sour in the museum's historic courtyard.
Day 3 Walk amid the Inca salt pans' beautiful honeycomb of pools high above the Urubamba River Valley Alpaca sweaters, decorative gourds, appetizing smells and colorful characters fill Pisac's lively market Admire some of the finest Inca masonry at the Pisac ruins.
Day 4 Visit a weaving community tucked in the hills to experience authentic rural Andean life In peaceful Ollantaytambo, meet kids at the local school, climb the ruins of an Inca fortress and walk along the terraced valley Urubamba is a great place to shop for ceramics crafted using traditional Inca techniques at the internationally acclaimed Seminario Studio A culinary highlight is our exclusive Peruvian cuisine cooking class with Sol y Luna's chef.
Days 5-7 Machu Picchu, the incredible "Lost City of the Incas," replete with intricate stonework and mysterious religious designs Hike on the Inca Trail, lined with ancient stones and stairs, to reach the Gate of the Sun and your first unforgettable view of Machu Picchu Got an intrepid streak? Summit Machu Picchu Mountain (with a permit Backroads secures on your behalf) for a bird's-eye look at the ruins Spend a second full day exploring the "Lost City" with a local expert who provides insight into this sacred site Stroll the grounds of the Machu Picchu Pueblo Hotel with a local naturalist to learn more about the area's flora and fauna.
Cusco (2 nights) "An outstanding property housed within a converted 16th-century monastery situated just a short stroll from the Plaza de Armas," says Andrew Harper. Travel + Leisure World's Best.
Sol y Luna Lodge
Urubamba (2 nights) "An unpretentious but impeccably maintained lodge set in a wonderful garden surrounded by mountains," according to the Hideaway Report. (pool, spa, tennis)
Inkaterra Machu Picchu Pueblo Hotel
Aguas Calientes (2 nights) This hotel with Andean-style casitas is just minutes from the ruins of Machu Picchu. Travel + Leisure World's Best. (pool, spa)
Guest Reviews About This Trip
I can't imagine visiting or experiencing Machu Picchu and the Andes any other way. This was PERFECT.- New York, NY
I had an amazing week. When thinking about the value of the trip, I could not have put together the number and range of activities for a single week on my own. Not even close. So really, it is like having three weeks of vacation seamlessly organized into a single week. All I had to do was show up. My favorite aspect of the trip is how the activities fit together like a story across the week as opposed to a random collection of activities. Wow.- Ventura, CA
Backroads delivered what they promised and more! Hiking among Inca ruins would have been enough. But the gorgeous flora and fauna of the Forest of the Clouds and beautiful accommodations made this hiking trip incredible. In addition, the fantastic leaders made the trip safe and fun, and the hiking itinerary was very well set-up to prepare you for the most difficult (and important) hike to Machu Picchu. Thanks for a wonderful and memorable vacation!- Los Angeles, CA
Trip Dates & Prices
Please click on a date below for specific pricing and possible itinerary variations.
2014 CLASSIC DATES
- 8/24 - 8/30 ( $5148 per person, double occ., +$890 for single occ.
- 9/21 - 9/27 ( $5248 per person, double occ., +$1300 for single occ.
- 9/30 - 10/6 ( $5148 per person, double occ., +$1300 for single occ.
- 10/19 - 10/25 ( $5148 per person, double occ., +$1300 for single occ.
- 11/2 - 11/8 ( $5048 per person, double occ., +$1300 for single occ.
- 12/22 - 12/28 ( $5698 per person, double occ., +$1300 for single occ.
- 12/31 - 1/6 ( $5598 per person, double occ., +$1300 for single occ.
2015 CLASSIC DATES
- 3/22 - 3/28 ( $4698 per person, double occ., +$1300 for single occ.
- 4/7 - 4/13 ( $4698 per person, double occ., +$1300 for single occ.
- 4/19 - 4/25 ( $4698 per person, double occ., +$1300 for single occ.
- 5/3 - 5/9 ( $4948 per person, double occ., +$1300 for single occ.
- 5/17 - 5/23 ( $4948 per person, double occ., +$1300 for single occ.
- 5/31 - 6/6 ( $4698 per person, double occ., +$1300 for single occ.
- 6/14 - 6/20 ( $4698 per person, double occ., +$1300 for single occ.
- 6/28 - 7/4 ( $4698 per person, double occ., +$1300 for single occ.
- 7/12 - 7/18 ( $4698 per person, double occ., +$1300 for single occ.
- 7/26 - 8/1 ( $4698 per person, double occ., +$1300 for single occ.
- 8/9 - 8/15 ( $4698 per person, double occ., +$1300 for single occ.
- 8/23 - 8/29 ( $4698 per person, double occ., +$1300 for single occ.
- 9/6 - 9/12 ( $4948 per person, double occ., +$1300 for single occ.
- 9/20 - 9/26 ( $5048 per person, double occ., +$1300 for single occ.
- 10/4 - 10/10 ( $4698 per person, double occ., +$1300 for single occ.
- 10/18 - 10/24 ( $4698 per person, double occ., +$1300 for single occ.
- 11/1 - 11/7 ( $4698 per person, double occ., +$1300 for single occ.
- 11/15 - 11/21 ( $4698 per person, double occ., +$1300 for single occ.
- 11/29 - 12/5 ( $4698 per person, double occ., +$1300 for single occ.
Don't see your ideal travel date? Call us at 800-462-2848 for Private Trip date availability.
This Trip Is Rated Level 2-4
Routes For All Abilities
Every Backroads trip is designed to appeal to a wide variety of interests and fitness levels. We know your pace may vary from one day to the next-and your traveling companion's may differ somewhat from yours. So we present a range of mileage options, and each day you decide exactly what and how much you want to do.
|Daily Route Options|
|Level 1||Level 2||Level 3||Level 4||Level 5|
|miles||feet gain||miles||feet gain||miles||feet gain||miles||feet gain||miles||feet gain|
|1||Cusco Guided Walk (3.5 Hours)|
|Pisac Ruins Guided Walk (2 Hours)|
|Pisac Market Visit (1 Hour)|
|Ollantaytambo Ruins Guided Walk (1 Hour)|
|Machu Picchu Guided Walk (3 Hours)|
|7||Early-Morning Naturalist Walk (45 Minutes)|
The terrain on this trip includes mountain trails, Inca stone jungle paths, village and archaeological site walks.
Altitude and rugged terrain make the routes feel more challenging than the mileage suggests. Some routes may include substantial elevation loss.
* Includes a shuttle
Private Trips Options & Pricing
Gather your favorite people to share a Backroads adventure on a ready-to-book Private Trip - featuring all the legendary Backroads hallmarks from expert leaders to unforgettable activities.
You can pick any open date for your group of 8 or more except for trips departing during the last two weeks of December, where a 16 guest minimum is required. Call us for date availability.
Pricing for Private Trips (prices may vary based on departure date)
|8 - 9 guests from $5,598 pp dbl. occ.||12 or more guests from $4,698 pp dbl. occ.|
|10 - 11 guests from $5,298 pp dbl. occ.|
|8 - 9 guests from $5,498 pp dbl. occ.||12 or more guests from $4,698 pp dbl. occ.|
|10 - 11 guests from $4,998 pp dbl. occ.|
For groups of 2 to 7 guests, please call for Custom Trip pricing.