Costa Rica Multisport Tour
- Commune with nature at the tranquil eco-friendly Villa Blanca Cloud Forest Hotel
- Relax in the hot springs of a forest hideaway while watching for signs of life from the volcano
- Explore Lake Arenal and the surrounding rain forest by boat and bike
- Observe a stunning variety of wildlife - sloths, monkeys, lizards and more - in Manuel Antonio National Park
- Kayak across crystalline waters to a beautiful remote beach
From the Cloud Forest to Arenal Volcano & the Pacific Coast
With over a quarter of its land protected in parks and preserves, Costa Rica is paradise for anyone who loves wildlife and outdoor adventure. Howler monkeys scamper through the trees, and keel-billed toucans color the sky against a natural backdrop of a majestic volcano, a magnificent lake, flowing rivers and lush greenery. Jungle hikes, mountain biking and a kayaking adventure expose you to the region's incredible biodiversity, from Los Angeles Cloud Forest to Arenal Volcano National Park and the Pacific coast. You're sure to have fun, relax and learn the true meaning of pura vida!
We want to make sure you're on the right trip and that you have the best experience possible. Every Backroads trip is unique and this one is no exception.
On-Your-Own ActivitiesDuring the trip there's time for you to enjoy some of Costa Rica's favorite activities, such as zip-lining, horseback riding and surfing. These activities are often a highlight for those who choose to do them, but as they're not to everyone's liking they're not included in the cost of the trip and participation is at your own risk.
Day 1 Commune with nature at the tranquil eco-friendly Villa Blanca Cloud Forest Hotel Start the day with an eye-opening tour (and tasting!) at a coffee plantation Walk along peaceful country roads that meander past brilliant-orange poró trees and farmers plying their trade in the Los Angeles Cloud Forest.
Day 2 Soak in the hot springs of a forest oasis while watching for signs of life from Arenal Volcano An interpretive walk through the cloud forest reveals an incredible variety of flora and fauna Pedal along rolling paved roads flanked by plantations of papaya, sugarcane and yucca to La Fortuna, nestled near the foot of Arenal Volcano.
Day 3 An ideal blend of activities makes for an unforgettable adventure Explore the lush rain forest around beautiful Lake Arenal from the seat of your bike, followed by a private cruise on the lake Fly through the treetops on a zip-line or simply relax by the pool.
Day 4 Trek across a lava field in Arenal Volcano National Park Soar above the rain forest on our private charter flight to the white-sand beaches of Manuel Antonio Take a stroll through a butterfly garden or walk down to the beach for sunset.
Days 5-6 Spot a wealth of wildlife on a naturalist-led walk in Manuel Antonio National Park, from monkeys, lizards and iguanas to butterflies and toucans Soak up some sun or splash in the Pacific - whatever you decide, it's pura vida! A sea-kayaking excursion in the calm bay off Quepos leads to a secluded beach - ready for one last quick dip?
Villa Blanca Cloud Forest Hotel & Nature Reserve
Los Angeles Cloud Forest (1 night) This eco-conscious hotel features charming casitas, each with a splendid view of the cloud forest. (spa)
Hotel Mountain Paradise
La Fortuna (2 nights) When skies are clear, relish unobstructed views of Arenal Volcano from this hilltop resort. (pool, spa)
Si Como No Resort
Manuel Antonio (2 nights) Surrounded by lush tropical jungle above the Pacific Ocean and Manuel Antonio National Park, this inviting boutique hotel has been recognized for its ongoing commitment to sustainability. (pool, spa)
Guests Reviews About This Trip
First let me say how impressed I am with your organization. Pulling all of this off in the United States, let alone Costa Rica, would have been a major feat --- the organization, thought, and planning that went into this trip were incredible. Thank you!- Branford, CT
This was the most well organized, truly seamless vacation experience I have ever had. Our leaders were absolutely incredible. They were knowledgeable, helpful, enthusiastic and went FAR beyond the call of duty on their jobs. Above all, their attitudes and the fact that they were truly having FUN meant everything in terms of maintaining the group dynamics to ensure that everyone had a pleasurable experience.- Alexandria, VA
I loved the variety of activity on this trip. Backroads is the best travel company. I have a hard time traveling with any other company because of the quality of your trips.- Green Valley, AZ
Trip Dates & Prices
Please click on a date below for specific pricing and possible itinerary variations.
2014 CLASSIC DATES
- 12/23 - 12/28 ( $2998 per person, double occ., +$530 for single occ. , +$180 for internal airfare
- 12/31 - 1/5 ( $3098 per person, double occ., +$530 for single occ. , +$180 for internal airfare
2015 CLASSIC DATES
- 1/6 - 1/11 ( $2798 per person, double occ., +$790 for single occ. , +$220 for internal airfare
- 1/19 - 1/24 ( $2798 per person, double occ., +$790 for single occ. , +$220 for internal airfare
- 2/17 - 2/22 ( $2798 per person, double occ., +$790 for single occ. , +$220 for internal airfare
- 3/17 - 3/22 ( $2798 per person, double occ., +$790 for single occ. , +$220 for internal airfare
- 3/31 - 4/5 ( $2798 per person, double occ., +$790 for single occ. , +$220 for internal airfare
- 12/23 - 12/28 ( $2998 per person, double occ., +$790 for single occ. , +$220 for internal airfare
- 12/31 - 1/5 ( $2998 per person, double occ., +$790 for single occ. , +$220 for internal airfare
2015 SINGLES-SOLOS DATES
- 2/1 - 2/6 ( $2798 per person, double occ., +$890 for single occ. , +$220 for internal airfare
- 2/15 - 2/20 ( $2798 per person, double occ., +$890 for single occ. , +$220 for internal airfare
- 4/12 - 4/17 ( $2798 per person, double occ., +$890 for single occ. , +$220 for internal airfare
- 12/14 - 12/19 ( $2798 per person, double occ., +$890 for single occ. , +$220 for internal airfare
Don't see your ideal travel date? Call us at 800-462-2848 for Private Trip date availability.
This Trip Is Rated Level 1-3
Routes For All Abilities
Every Backroads trip is designed to appeal to a wide variety of interests and fitness levels. We know your pace may vary from one day to the next-and your traveling companion's may differ somewhat from yours. So we present a range of mileage options, and each day you decide exactly what and how much you want to do.
|Daily Route Options|
|Level 1||Level 2||Level 3||Level 4||Level 5|
|miles||feet gain||miles||feet gain||miles||feet gain||miles||feet gain||miles||feet gain|
|Other||biking and hiking|
|Other||biking and hiking|
|Other||Boat Cruise on Lake Arenal (30 Minutes)|
|Other||Optional Zip-Lining and Hiking|
|Other||Optional Surfing, Mangrove Tour or Horseback Riding|
|6||Kayaking||Around Quepos (2 Hours)|
On this trip, we'll be using titanium mountain bikes that are just right for the non-technical dirt road riding as well as the paved riding.
There is a lot to experience in Costa Rica and this trip is nothing short of action-packed! We have kept route distances short to ensure you have plenty of time to take advantage of the multitude of activities available. While distances suggest a Level 1-2 trip, we've rated it 1-3 instead, due to the abundance of activities, as well as the heat, which require a bit more get-up-and-go. Please note that Route Ratings are for single sport activities and may not reflect the level of combined activities.
* Includes a shuttle
Private Trips Options & Pricing
Gather your favorite people to share a Backroads adventure on a ready-to-book Private Trip - featuring all the legendary Backroads hallmarks from expert leaders to unforgettable activities.
You can pick any open date for your group of 8 or more except for trips departing during the last two weeks of December, where a 16 guest minimum is required. Call us for date availability.
Pricing for Private Trips (prices may vary based on departure date)
|8 - 9 guests from $3,698 pp dbl. occ.||12 or more guests from $2,798 pp dbl. occ.|
|10 - 11 guests from $3,398 pp dbl. occ.|
|8 - 9 guests from $3,598 pp dbl. occ.||12 or more guests from $2,798 pp dbl. occ.|
|10 - 11 guests from $3,098 pp dbl. occ.|
For groups of 2 to 7 guests, please call for Custom Trip pricing.