Brittany & Normandy Bike Tour
- A journey through two of France's most intriguing regions
- Bike rolling country roads along must-see beaches
- The magical island monastery and cathedral of Mont-St-Michel
- World War II battle sights and memorials
- A private tour of the American Military Cemetery with a local historian
From the Stunning Emerald Coast to D-Day Landmarks
Broad beaches from which William the Conqueror set sail in 1066, and where the Allies landed nearly 900 years later on D-Day. The mystical abbey of Mont-St-Michel, its battlements and golden spire soaring from the sea. The bunkers and bomb craters at Pointe du Hoc. Such iconic settings will undoubtedly stir your emotions, while the sheer beauty - and bounty - of your surroundings will spark your joie de vivre. Lush orchards and crashing surf. Windswept plateaus and storybook villages. Rounds of pungent Camembert, bottles of locally brewed apple cider, crêpes and delectable moules-frites. Brittany and Normandy are a rare blend of history and natural splendor. And bound to make an impression on you.
Day 1 Journey through two of France's most intriguing regions, starting in Brittany Enjoy a typical Breton lunch before pedaling along the famed Côte d'Émeraude (Emerald Coast), lined with enchanting fishing villages and striking sandstone cliffs Á votre santé! Taste a kir breton (apple cider and cassis), a local aperitif.
Day 2 Rolling country roads and traditional Breton towns From St-Malo, spin through peaceful countryside past St-Suliac - one of Les Plus Beaux Villages de France (The Most Beautiful Villages of France) and along the Rance river Sweet or savory? A stop in a crêperie is a must Stroll through Dinan, a charming fortified medieval port town with half-timbered houses and narrow cobblestone streets.
Day 3 The magical island monastery and cathedral of Mont-St-Michel, an iconic European pilgrimage center and World Heritage site Head into a Normandy region known for cider and cheeses After lunch at a private 16th-century château atop Norman cliffs, pedal to Pointe du Hoc.
Day 4 Bike to D-Day landmarks and memorials Walk on the same ground as the Allies on D-Day as you join a local historian for an exclusive tour of Omaha Beach and the American Military Cemetery Past and present collide in beautifully preserved Bayeux, the first town to be liberated by the Allies.
Days 5-6 Outstanding regional cuisine - seafood lovers rejoice! Ride through the bocage landscape, then savor breathtaking vistas of hallowed beaches and rugged shoreline as you ride to Mulberry Harbor at Arromanches At the award-winning Caen Memorial, a "Museum for Peace," view thought-provoking displays that blend history with hope for the future.
Hôtel la Villefromoy
St-Malo (2 nights) A Second Empire villa set in the heart of Brittany with ocean views and easy access to the region's best sights.
Le Lion d'Or
Bayeux (2 nights) Dating from 1770, this centrally located former coaching inn is just steps from the famous Bayeux Tapestry.
Château de Sully
Sully (1 night) Not far from the landing beaches, a charming 18th-century castle-turned-hotel surrounded by sprawling formal gardens. (pool, spa, tennis)
Guest Reviews About This Trip
We simply cannot show the depth of our happiness and gratitude. From the guides to the biking, food to the history, Backroads created a magnificent trip. Truly a uniquely wonderful vacation.- Winston Salem, NC
We loved all the rides - gorgeous routes and great service from all three leaders. Really couldn't have asked for more. They shared their expertise of the history, had snacks ready at every turn, great enthusiasm and overall wonderful hosts and great company. We appreciated all of it.- Westport, CT
Thank you for a wonderful trip. It was my first Backroads trip and I was not sure what to expect, but the experience clearly exceeded my expectations. The guides were wonderful with a terrific connection making for an easy ride. The mix of activities with the riding really gave me a flavor for Normandy and Brittany. I can't think of a better way to tour France! Thanks for a once-in-a-lifetime vacation!- New York, NY
Trip Dates & Prices
Please click on a date below for specific pricing and possible itinerary variations.
2015 CLASSIC DATES
- 5/31 - 6/5 ( $3698 per person, double occ., +$530 for single occ.
- 6/7 - 6/12 ( $3598 per person, double occ., +$530 for single occ.
- 6/14 - 6/19 ( $3598 per person, double occ., +$530 for single occ.
- 6/21 - 6/26 ( $3398 per person, double occ., +$530 for single occ.
- 6/28 - 7/3 ( $3398 per person, double occ., +$530 for single occ.
- 7/5 - 7/10 ( $3398 per person, double occ., +$530 for single occ.
- 7/12 - 7/17 ( $3398 per person, double occ., +$530 for single occ.
- 7/19 - 7/24 ( $3398 per person, double occ., +$530 for single occ.
- 7/26 - 7/31 ( $3398 per person, double occ., +$530 for single occ.
- 8/2 - 8/7 ( $3398 per person, double occ., +$530 for single occ.
- 8/16 - 8/21 ( $3398 per person, double occ., +$530 for single occ.
- 9/1 - 9/6 ( $3398 per person, double occ., +$530 for single occ.
- 9/6 - 9/11 ( $3398 per person, double occ., +$530 for single occ.
- 9/13 - 9/18 ( $3398 per person, double occ., +$530 for single occ.
- 9/20 - 9/25 ( $3398 per person, double occ., +$530 for single occ.
- 9/22 - 9/27 ( $3398 per person, double occ., +$530 for single occ.
- 9/27 - 10/2 ( $3398 per person, double occ., +$530 for single occ.
Don't see your ideal travel date? Call us at 800-462-2848 for Private Trip date availability.
This Trip Is Rated Level 1-4
Routes For All Abilities
Every Backroads trip is designed to appeal to a wide variety of interests and fitness levels. We know your pace may vary from one day to the next-and your traveling companion's may differ somewhat from yours. So we present a range of mileage options, and each day you decide exactly what and how much you want to do.
|Daily Route Options|
|Level 1||Level 2||Level 3||Level 4||Level 5|
|miles||feet gain||miles||feet gain||miles||feet gain||miles||feet gain||miles||feet gain|
|6||Caen Memorial Museum Visit (2 Hours)|
* Includes a shuttle
Private Trips Options & Pricing
Gather your favorite people to share a Backroads adventure on a ready-to-book Private Trip - featuring all the legendary Backroads hallmarks from expert leaders to unforgettable activities.
You can pick from a large selection of dates for your group of 8 or more. Call us for date availability.
If your party has fewer than 8 guests, or if your preferred date is not available, we'll create a departure just for you.
Pricing for Private Trips (prices may vary based on departure date)
|2 - 3 guests from $5,398 pp dbl. occ.||8 - 9 guests from $4,198 pp dbl. occ.|
|4 - 5 guests from $4,798 pp dbl. occ.||10 - 11 guests from $3,698 pp dbl. occ.|
|6 - 7 guests from $4,398 pp dbl. occ.||12 or more guests from $3,398 pp dbl. occ.|
All Private Singles-Solos trips require a minimum of 16 guests.